Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

****OFFICIAL Polaroid PMID701c THREAD! root, market, and more!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Also about the cell radio deal - to fix this i downloaded an "airplane mode" app from the market called "airplane mode wifi tool" that allows you to turn off cell radio and still use wifi.

Sent from my PMID701C using Tapatalk

Comment

You should be able to disable the 3G radio by just going into /system/app and either deleting phone.apk or renaming it to something like phone.old

Bob
      "Pzebacz im, bo nie wiedzą, co czynią"
      "Прости им, они не ведают, что творят"
      "Perdona loro perché non sanno quello che fanno"
      "Vergib ihnen, denn sie wissen nicht, was sie tun"
      "Vergeef hen want ze weten niet wat ze doen"
      "Pardonne-leur car ils ne savent pas ce qu'ils font"
      "Perdónalos porque no saben que lo que hacen"
      "Oprosti im, jer ne znaju što čine"
      "Forgive them as they know not what they do"

Comment

not quite that easy

Originally posted by Finless View Post
        You should be able to disable the 3G radio by just going into /system/app and either deleting phone.apk or renaming it to something like phone.old

Bob
        Did that with root explorer, set permissions to r/w and changed it to phone.old. system went into a neverending round of force closes. I was finally able to hit the shutdown commands between the force close messages and after restart was stable with phone.old still there. I am still showing the bars with an x up top.

Comment

Does this thing even have a 3g radio physically in it?

This is the same thing the Arnonva does but if there is no physical radio it should not be effecting battery life period.

In your "settings" do you have a phone settings for the 3g radio?
          If not, go to the market and get an APP called anycut.
          Install it
          run it
          choose short cut
          choose activity
          This will now list all possible things and many of them are hidden settings the manufacturer took out (hide). There are usually all kinds of phone related choices in there. Click one and it will put a icon on your desktop.
          A prime example is if you guys dont have "accounts and sync settings" in your settings menu. You can get to it this way. There maybe more than one choice for the same thing in the list. Some will work and others may not. Keep choosing them until you find the one that works.

See if you can find the phone radio toggle. If the airplane APP worked that means the settings are in there just hidden from you.

Bob

Comment

Even with Airplane Mode ON, my battery stats show that 71% of the battery is being taken by
            Cell Standby (though I don't see the tablet having that bad of battery life all together, unless the Airplane mode has actually helped)

Comment

Looking at Any Cut, there are only options for 4G Radio Settings, not 3g.... which is odd. They couldn't have possibly spent money including a 4g radio with no use? right?

Comment

Bingo

Notpod's dumps were very helpful!

Unlike many other ROM this one uses init.rc and init.sun4i.rc
                Init.sun41.rc is where the partions are being mounted. All the mounts in init.rc are commented out.

Below is the init.sun41.rc. I have bolded the mount commands and you can see /system is ro. Easily changed once we know how to flash etc.

By the way this ROM is kind of a MESS! It has busted sym links and stuff all over it!

on fs
                mount ext4 /dev/block/nandc /system wait noatime nodev barrier=0

# try to mount /data
                wait /dev/block/nandd
                mount ext4 /dev/block/nandd /data wait noatime nosuid nodev barrier=0
                setupfs /dev/block/nandd
                umount /data
                exec /system/bin/logwrapper /system/bin/e2fsck -y /dev/block/nandd
                exec /system/bin/busybox mount -t ext4 -o noatime,nosuid,nodev,noauto_da_alloc,barrier=0 /dev/block/nandd /data

# try to mount /cache
                mount ext4 /dev/block/nandg /cache wait noatime nosuid nodev barrier=0
                setupfs /dev/block/nandg
                mount ext4 /dev/block/nandg /cache wait noatime nosuid nodev barrier=0
                format_userdata PMID701C

on boot
                chown root root /system/xbin/su
                chmod 6755 /system/xbin/su

chown system system /drv
                chmod 0777 /drv

#insmod key & tp driver
                #insmod /drv/sun4i-ts.ko
                insmod /drv/ft5x_ts.ko
                insmod /drv/sun4i-keyboard.ko

# insmod mali driver
                insmod /drv/ump.ko
                insmod /drv/mali.ko

# insmod gsensor driver
                insmod /drv/mma7660.ko
                # nano wifi module and firmware
                chmod 0777 /drv/x_mac.axf

#csi module
                insmod /drv/videobuf-core.ko
                insmod /drv/videobuf-dma-contig.ko
                insmod /drv/ov7670.ko
                insmod /drv/sun4i_csi0.ko ccm="ov7670" i2c_addr=0x42

#usb net module
                insmod /drv/usbnet.ko
                insmod /drv/asix.ko
                insmod /drv/rtl8150.ko
                insmod /drv/qf9700.ko
                insmod /drv/mcs7830.ko

mount ext4 /dev/block/nandc /system ro remount
                mount rootfs rootfs / ro remount

#start memsicd service
                #service memsicd /system/bin/memsicd
                # oneshot

#init ethernet for adb debug
                #service ipconfig /system/bin/sh /sbin/ipconfig.sh
                # oneshot

Comment

That happened to ME, TOO!

Originally posted by sabercatpuck View Post
                  Did that with root explorer, set permissions to r/w and changed it to phone.old. system went into a neverending round of force closes. I was finally able to hit the shutdown commands between the force close messages and after restart was stable with phone.old still there. I am still showing the bars with an x up top.
                  Hello!

Yeah, I know what you mean. Scared the you-know-what out of me. I hit the RESET button on the back of the tablet, and let the tablet reboot.

I thought I'd BRICKED the puppy! Now that I know I can take phone.apk out without issues, I'll delete it again.

73 DE N4RPS
                  Rob

Comment

I Noticed That File, Too

Notpod's dumps were very helpful!

Unlike many other ROM this one uses init.rc and init.sun4i.rc
                    Init.sun41.rc is where the partions are being mounted. All the mounts in init.rc are commented out.

Below is the init.sun41.rc. I have bolded the mount commands and you can see /system is ro. Easily changed once we know how to flash etc.

By the way this ROM is kind of a MESS! It has busted sym links and stuff all over it!
                    Could full true root access really be as easy as modifying that statement? With RootExplorer, that file could easily be changed. Of course, assuming that the ROM reads THIS file on startup.

Update: So far, it appears to. Root and /system are now r/w without running Root Explorer.
                    However, I'm awaiting feedback about this from those who know more about the details of what goes on behind the scenes than I do...

73 DE N4RPS
                    Rob
                    Last edited by N4RPS; 04-01-2012, 23:33.

Comment

Originally posted by N4RPS View Post
                      Could full true root access really be as easy as modifying that statement? With RootExplorer, that file could easily be changed. Of course, assuming that the ROM reads THIS file on startup.

Update: So far, it appears to. Root and /system are now r/w without running Root Explorer.
                      However, I'm awaiting feedback about this from those who know more about the details of what goes on behind the scenes than I do...

73 DE N4RPS
                      Rob
                      This statement is in boot.img so next reboot your changes will be gone and it will be back to what it was. Well at least if this ROM works like many others? Pretty sure it does

So boot.img needs to be permanently modified to keep that statement RW.

Bob

Comment

Figured what the heck

Since it seemed to be a big question and I figured I wouldnt likely totally brick it out with my CWM backups I gave changing the permissions in init.sun4i.rc with Root Explorer a shot. Didn't boot up to any permissions the first try (might have gotten a bit impatient) so I rebooted again and straight into Root Explorer it say's it is R/W now.
                        Hmm might try the CWM install again to see if I can get it to go from power off now

Comment

Got it working, my only problem was the app wasn't set to write access for others. Got it working, thank you guys.

Comment

This statement is in boot.img so next reboot your changes will be gone and it will be back to what it was. Well at least if this ROM works like many others? Pretty sure it does

So boot.img needs to be permanently modified to keep that statement RW.

Bob
                            Hello!

That is correct. It seems to stay if you reset with the RESET button, but if you power off, it reverts back to the value in boot.img.

73 DE N4RPS
                            Rob

Comment

Well that's interesting but....... But you really should never just reset android os.. Like Linux it should be shut down . There are databases and files open and you can corrupt them by doing a reset.

Anyway it seems unlikely rk29 a reset just reloads the system and does not do a full reload using boot.img like a full power down.

Bob

Comment

Well that's interesting but....... But you really should never just reset android os.. Like Linux it should be shut down . There are databases and files open and you can corrupt them by doing a reset.

Anyway it seems unlikely rk29 a reset just reloads the system and does not do a full reload using boot.img like a full power down.

Bob
                                Usually, I try not to, outside of a lockup or force close loop. I now think back about all the issues I had running Lubuntu on SD cards formatted as ext4, before I started formatting them as ext2...

73 DE N4RPS
                                Rob

Comment

Working...
                                X