Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

****OFFICIAL Polaroid PMID701c THREAD! root, market, and more!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by momsboy12 View Post
    hello i just got one of these nice little tablets PMID701i , i wanted to use the wifi off my phone (metro pcs esteem) and it wont connect to it , it sees it and saves it but wont connect , is there something i can do to fix this??? my phones network is the only wifi i have, it works on my laptop and friends ipod and iPad .....is it the software malfunctioning ? i really have no use for it if i cant get the wifi up and running

BTW it will connect to my friends home wifi so i dont think its the hardware ...thanks!!
    Hello!

I use my Verizon phone (Windows Mobile 6.5) with Internet Connection Sharing & WMWifiRouter, which allows the phone to function as wireless router for what is called an ad-hoc (computer-to-computer) WiFi network. Most phone hotspot programs that I know of work in this way.

What OS does your phone run on, and what hotspot program are you running on it? Perhaps that will help in finding you a solution.

WMWifiRouter requires tethering to a laptop or PC; that's where Internet Connection Sharing comes into play. However, if I plug the phone into the car's cigarette lighter, I can go online without a PC if I turn the connection back on every few minutes. That's with a 701c.

I'm willing to wager the star (*) identifies an ad-hoc network. Mine has that, also.

My 701i has proven to be a REAL BEAR to try and get to work through ad-hoc networks consistently. The 701i and my previous tablet (Velocity Cruz) had no problem connecting through wireless routers, which is called infrastructure mode. It isn't necessary on the 701c/i, but with the Cruz, I had to edit the system wireless configuration file to get ad-hoc to finally work.

You MAY have to manually assign an IP address to your 701i to make it work on your network. I did this one time, and run seven machines at once this way. I wanted to try more, but I ran out of devices.

Right now, it's hard to say more until I know more about exactly how you're doing what you're doing.

I have Ted Turner Cable coming tomorrow to hook up a 1 Mb/s up-10Mb/s down connection through a wireless router. THAT is how I'm going to resolve MY connection issues.

73 DE N4RPS
    Rob

Comment

hello i just got one of these nice little tablets PMID701i , i wanted to use the wifi off my phone (metro pcs esteem) and it wont connect to it , it sees it and saves it but wont connect , is there something i can do to fix this??? my phones network is the only wifi i have, it works on my laptop and friends ipod and iPad .....is it the software malfunctioning ? i really have no use for it if i cant get the wifi up and running

BTW it will connect to my friends home wifi so i dont think its the hardware ...thanks!!
      I have a MetroPCS Admire (Android 2.3.4), which I use Open Garden WiFi Tethering app for wifi on my 701c, and it connects with no problem. Trying a different tethering app might help...hope it helps some

Comment

Originally posted by jtintle View Post
        I have a MetroPCS Admire (Android 2.3.4), which I use Open Garden WiFi Tethering app for wifi on my 701c, and it connects with no problem. Trying a different tethering app might help...hope it helps some
        i tried that too , i must of went through 15 different wifi apps im at my wits end haha im probably going to return it tomorrow cause i cant even the root to go through

Comment

Originally posted by N4RPS View Post
          Hello!

I use my Verizon phone (Windows Mobile 6.5) with Internet Connection Sharing & WMWifiRouter, which allows the phone to function as wireless router for what is called an ad-hoc (computer-to-computer) WiFi network. Most phone hotspot programs that I know of work in this way.

What OS does your phone run on, and what hotspot program are you running on it? Perhaps that will help in finding you a solution.

WMWifiRouter requires tethering to a laptop or PC; that's where Internet Connection Sharing comes into play. However, if I plug the phone into the car's cigarette lighter, I can go online without a PC if I turn the connection back on every few minutes. That's with a 701c.

I'm willing to wager the star (*) identifies an ad-hoc network. Mine has that, also.

My 701i has proven to be a REAL BEAR to try and get to work through ad-hoc networks consistently. The 701i and my previous tablet (Velocity Cruz) had no problem connecting through wireless routers, which is called infrastructure mode. It isn't necessary on the 701c/i, but with the Cruz, I had to edit the system wireless configuration file to get ad-hoc to finally work.

You MAY have to manually assign an IP address to your 701i to make it work on your network. I did this one time, and run seven machines at once this way. I wanted to try more, but I ran out of devices.

Right now, it's hard to say more until I know more about exactly how you're doing what you're doing.

I have Ted Turner Cable coming tomorrow to hook up a 1 Mb/s up-10Mb/s down connection through a wireless router. THAT is how I'm going to resolve MY connection issues.

73 DE N4RPS
          Rob
          i have lg esteem 2.3.4 custom rom , i was just using a root tether and like i said it always worked great till now haha. i learned about Ad-hoc last night and downloaded a fix for that and stuck it on the sd-card i tried to use it but it requires root (which i thought i had) but it says i need root access...i poked around and found superoneclick and used that , when i clicked root it said i was already rooted but i continued anyway, i know have superuser so i went back to the ad-hoc fix and it said i needed busybox so i downloaded that and put it on the sd-card....opened it and it says im not rooted!! ahhh lol so here i sit any ideas now ?? oh and the ad-hoc fix still says unable to gain root access

and you said to configure my ip address how are where do i do that ? and can i config the system wireless connection myself to allow ad-hoc?

thanks guys for the help!!

Comment

i have lg esteem 2.3.4 custom rom , i was just using a root tether and like i said it always worked great till now haha. i learned about Ad-hoc last night and downloaded a fix for that and stuck it on the sd-card i tried to use it but it requires root (which i thought i had) but it says i need root access...i poked around and found superoneclick and used that , when i clicked root it said i was already rooted but i continued anyway, i know have superuser so i went back to the ad-hoc fix and it said i needed busybox so i downloaded that and put it on the sd-card....opened it and it says im not rooted!! ahhh lol so here i sit any ideas now ?? oh and the ad-hoc fix still says unable to gain root access

and you said to configure my ip address how are where do i do that ? and can i config the system wireless connection myself to allow ad-hoc?

thanks guys for the help!!
            Hello!

You're welcome.

Your hotspot app SHOULD have a user-specified IP address range it works with that can be changed (192.168.1.X, 192.168.3.X, etc.).

On the tablet, click on the connection and select 'advanced settings'. Here, set an IP address in the range your hotspot uses (192.168.X1,X2; X2 can be any # other than 0 or 255), the gateway IP should be 192.168.X.1, subnet mask on the 701i is 24 (255.255.255.0), and the hotspot should handle DNS for you, but 8.8.8.8 & 8.8.4.4 will work for those if you need them.

I can understand if your frustration resulted in you returning the tablet. The Wi-Fi issues are one of the reasons why I went out and got cable internet here. Setting up an infrastructure network makes EVERYTHING a LOT easier on you!

73 DE N4RPS
            Rob

Comment

Newbie Question

Good afternoon gentlemen. I have read over this thread quite a few times today as I have just purchased one of these tablets from big lots. After downloading a few files linked to from this page I cannot for the life of me figure out how to install the .apk files I downloaded onto this tablet! When I open ApkInstaller, press the menu button, and hit install, the tablet loads for a second and then just shows an empty screen. I am assuming there is supposed to be a list of .apk files on my internal/external sd card? I simply copied the files to the root directory of the internal and external sd cards, should they go in a specific folder? Also tried running .apk files from file manager but it gives me a Parse Error. I suppose this app only manages files, not install them. I have been trying to install Root Explorer v2.19 .apk. I was attempting to follow N4RPS' method in the original post.

I am def. an android newbie, so I guess I am unfamiliar with how to "root" this thing, or even what the word root means. Perhaps I haven't searched the forums enough for a newbie guide, I will look shortly after this post. Any help would be appreciated!

Comment

DMAGIC,
                Are you sure you went to Settings/Application settings and check the Unknown sources check box, then try to install the apk via file manager

Comment

jtintle

DMAGIC,
                  Are you sure you went to Settings/Application settings and check the Unknown sources check box, then try to install the apk via file manager
                  Yes but just in case i unchecked, then checked the box again. Still getting Parse Error There is a problem parsing the package. Perhaps I should download a different version of root explorer?

EDIT: Downloaded z4root 1.3.0 .apk and managed to install it from File Manager. Booted it up and it says my device was already rooted...which I think I read in another post on these forums but still not quite sure what that means. Went for a re-root and rebooted...still getting Parse Errors for the other .apk files

EDIT#2: Boy do I feel dumb. The reason I was getting those errors was because I was unplugging my tablet from USB mode incorrectly. Have to eject/remove the tablet from the PC then press the button on the tablet, then unplug cord. No wonder my pc kept saying i was improperly unplugging my device XD. Currently setting up a google account. Unfortunately I'm in the boonies and the tablet cant pick up any wi-fi signals so i wont be able to shop until i go to work tomorrow heh.
                  Last edited by DMAGIC; 04-30-2012, 01:54.

Comment

Originally posted by joamchild00 View Post
                    Will the OP on how to root and add Google Apps back in work on phones too or do I need to find a forum on phones? Thanks in advance!

~Amanda
                    Originally posted by N4RPS View Post
                    Hello!

To keep the thread on topic, I have answered your question via private message.

73 DE N4RPS
                    Rob
                    Got it, thanks a bunch!!
                    ~Amanda

Comment

Has anyone found a good cover/case for this tablet specifically?? Looking for the right fit, bought one from Big Lots when we got the tablet but it just slides out. If you've found the perfect one, please share!! Thanks in advance!!
                      ~Amanda

Comment

Has anyone found a good cover/case for this tablet specifically?? Looking for the right fit, bought one from Big Lots when we got the tablet but it just slides out. If you've found the perfect one, please share!! Thanks in advance!!
                        I got a Belkin book style from Radio Shack. They carry the largest selection for 7" tablets. I got a purple one.

Sent from my GT-P6210 using Tapatalk 2

Comment

Not sure where APK Installer is looking

Originally posted by DMAGIC View Post
                          Good afternoon gentlemen. I have read over this thread quite a few times today as I have just purchased one of these tablets from big lots. After downloading a few files linked to from this page I cannot for the life of me figure out how to install the .apk files I downloaded onto this tablet! When I open ApkInstaller, press the menu button, and hit install, the tablet loads for a second and then just shows an empty screen. I am assuming there is supposed to be a list of .apk files on my internal/external sd card? I simply copied the files to the root directory of the internal and external sd cards, should they go in a specific folder? Also tried running .apk files from file manager but it gives me a Parse Error. I suppose this app only manages files, not install them. I have been trying to install Root Explorer v2.19 .apk. I was attempting to follow N4RPS' method in the original post.

I am def. an android newbie, so I guess I am unfamiliar with how to "root" this thing, or even what the word root means. Perhaps I haven't searched the forums enough for a newbie guide, I will look shortly after this post. Any help would be appreciated!
                          But I never looked to far because the stock file explore program will let you peruse the whole SD card and install APK's so untill I had Root Explorer going that is what I used insted of the APKInstaller app

Comment

try here

Take a look @ this thread for accessories...

Last edited by pitsboi; 05-07-2012, 12:29. Reason: update link
                            Tip your Pitsaboi

Biglots 701c
                            Updated Google Play Store
                            Phone.old
                            Netflix v1.52
                            "windows using moron"

Comment

WiFi Keep alive works. My wifi stays awake so I get notifications when my screen is off (via PopUp Notifier). Works with my games as well as Groove Ip and GV messaging. I have my Notifier set to wake up my screen when I get an alert. I tried a couple others that said my wifi would stay on, but it didn't.

Sent from my Polaroid PMID701i using Tapatalk 2

Comment

Adding the market worked well but.........

Originally posted by artistlogic View Post
                                WELCOME to the official PMID701c Thread!

Specs for PMID710c :
                                • 4GB internal storage
                                • Micro SD card slot (SD card sold separately)
                                • 1 GHz processor
                                • 512 MB RAM
                                • Screen resolution 800 x 480

http://www.biglots.com/search/product/7138

The PMID701c recently went on sale at BigLots! stores for 99$ and if you have found this thread, you're probably one of the lucky purchasers of this nice smooth little tablet. I was lucky enough to find this forum and all the helpful members immediately banded together to see what we could do with this little thing, and I must say we achieved quite a bit of progress in only a few days. In this thread, we will cover (and provide support for) the following:

• rooting/info on out-of-the-box semi-root
                                • installing a working Google Play (market)
                                • compatible accesories
                                • (add new)
                                • (add new)

One of the first things you should know is that this device comes out of the box what we call "semi-rooted" meaning that we technically already have root access for the most part, except we cannot Write to the /system directory which is an important ability we will also unlock here.

I myself was successfully able to install a working version of Android Market (Google Play interface, but the icon does not seem to update to the new Google Play icon with this method) by using this package:
                                http://bit.ly/Hgzvyu <this link has to be d/l from a PC unpacked and THEN tossed on the SD

I first installed "OneTimeInitializer-signed.apk" successfully, then attempted to install "GoogleServicesFramework-signed.apk" but the installation failed for some reason. I moved on to "SetupWizard.apk", which was successful, and finally "vending-3.1.3-signed.apk", which also was successful.

This gives me a fully working version of the Android Market (only the Icon is the old Icon, launching actually shows the Google Play interface)

If the above does not work, or you prefer a newer version of Google Play complete with correct "new" icons, we have another solution for you. Thanks to user N4RPS for this great walkthrough on another way to get a working market:

A version of Root Explorer with the RW option can be found here:
                                http://www.qfpost.com/file/d?g=QhuGKTnJL
                                (above link also must be downloaded by PC and unzipped, thx again Zarealius lol)

As the above quote mentions, you must use Root Explorer to navigate to /system and make it RW by pressing the grey buttom near the top of the application.

Congrats, you now have root with a working Google Play/Android Market!

Special thanks to: Finless, N4RPS, sabercatpuck, notpod, N4RPS, Zarealius, and anyone else participating in helping us get this all figured out
                                hi....first want to say thanks......was able to load the market using both methods described above on my polaroid pmid701i X10 (ICS) tablet. I got the market icon and the 'white shopping' bag. I was allowed to get to my login screen but when i try to log on I get connection timed out error....i also had a problem authenticating my log in with the amazon app store which loaded on the tablet....any suggestions would be appreciated.

Comment

Working...
                                X