Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

****OFFICIAL Polaroid PMID701c THREAD! root, market, and more!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by joamchild00 View Post
    Has anyone found a good cover/case for this tablet specifically?? Looking for the right fit, bought one from Big Lots when we got the tablet but it just slides out. If you've found the perfect one, please share!! Thanks in advance!!
    Hello!

A problem with the Polaroid is that it's a 7" tablet, but the dimensions are slightly different. Don't know if you have a retailer named Roses in your area, but they have a number of tablet cases in the $5-$7.50 range.

There are a number of Kindle Fire cases out there, but the one *I* bought was $30. You may not want to spend that much on a case for a $100 tablet.

Another trick is using pressure-sensitive Velcro tape, with the hook side stuck to the back of the tablet. This works well with a lot of the fabric cases out there, and keeps the tablet from moving around unless you want it to.

Hope this helps!

73 DE N4RPS
    Rob

Comment

Originally posted by krayhart View Post
      hi....first want to say thanks......was able to load the market using both methods described above on my polaroid pmid701i X10 (ICS) tablet. I got the market icon and the 'white shopping' bag. I was allowed to get to my login screen but when i try to log on I get connection timed out error....i also had a problem authenticating my log in with the amazon app store which loaded on the tablet....any suggestions would be appreciated.
      Try clearing data and cache on the Play Store and Amazon App store .

Sent from my Polaroid PMID701i using Tapatalk 2

Comment

Originally posted by N4RPS View Post
        Hello!

A problem with the Polaroid is that it's a 7" tablet, but the dimensions are slightly different. Don't know if you have a retailer named Roses in your area, but they have a number of tablet cases in the $5-$7.50 range.

There are a number of Kindle Fire cases out there, but the one *I* bought was $30. You may not want to spend that much on a case for a $100 tablet.

Another trick is using pressure-sensitive Velcro tape, with the hook side stuck to the back of the tablet. This works well with a lot of the fabric cases out there, and keeps the tablet from moving around unless you want it to.

Hope this helps!

73 DE N4RPS
        Rob
        Don't know if the Roses in your area has a 6' mini USB 5 pin-B cable (by belkin I belive) for $5.00 but i was wondering if you knew if it was a OTG cable?

Comment

Check those case screws!

This is pretty trivial but I thought I'd share for others. Today I was holding my 701C at my computer desk and I heard something hit the desk. One of the tiny black phillips head screws that hold the case together had fallen out.

Luckily I was right at the desk and it fell where I could see and hear it. Screwing it back in was of course no big deal, but it makes me wonder a little. I'd hate to have a screw or two fall out un-noticed.

I've never had mine apart so it's definitely not because I had left a screw loos. Also, I really don't think I've had mine all that long (a little under a month). I've mainly used it in the same spot so it's not like I've been toting it all over town.

You might want to check the screws in the four corners of your case. As easily as mine fell out you won't know it until it's gone!

Comment

Originally posted by joamchild00 View Post
            Has anyone found a good cover/case for this tablet specifically?? Looking for the right fit, bought one from Big Lots when we got the tablet but it just slides out. If you've found the perfect one, please share!! Thanks in advance!!
            Although I'm still having troubles getting everything else to work, Amanda, I *have* managed to find a decent case for under $20. I ordered Case Logic ETC-107 7-Inch e Reader Folio (Black) at amazon.com (B004XANKVE). See it at the Case Logic website http://www.caselogic.com/case_logic/...07&ntt=etc+107. There are many many similar cases/sleeves made by Case Logic. Not all seem to have this weird elastic bungee/Velcro system that allows you to use the case as a stand. Also, note that the one I received from amazon.com is slightly different ... seems to be missing the small black 'sleeve' on each of the bungee cords.

Good luck choosing!
            Last edited by irainbow; 05-04-2012, 05:41. Reason: added link

Comment

ummm .... errr

Originally posted by pitsboi View Post
              Take a look @ this thread for accessories...

http://www.freaktab.com/member.php?1730-artistlogic

Not sure where you intended us to go, but the link doesn't take me to any thread about accessories.

Comment

Female Pattern Baldness

Hello fellow Tablet users. I am living proof that tablet technology causes female pattern baldness!!! *pointing to all the new bald spots after pulling my hair out working with this tablet* How much can you expect from a tablet which offers as one of its sleep settings "Nerver" [sic] ROFL (I believed all the excitement you-all generated and after that, I just *had* to get mine up and running.)

That said, I have barely the vaguest notion of what-all you are talking about. Bought one of the Big Lots PMID701i tablets -- twice. The first time it had no TV jack. The second time it had a TV jack. Been trying to follow rooting directions, etc., and finally thanks to one particular set of instructions from a user on one of these forums (I'm soooo confused, I can't even find it anymore).

Without wasting further words to the back story, but asking for utter kindness if you are able to help me fix the following two issues:

1. Because I thought it would help on my battery capacity after reading something else somewhere in one of these forums, I went and cleared the cache on each of the following two apps and have now only all-greyed out buttons in MOBILE DATA and MOBILE NETWORK CONFIGURATION. Is this going to hurt my ability to use the tablet? (I use it mostly at home or near home off my WIFI).

2. When I had the first 701i, I was able to install and successfully use the Crackle app for Android. Now, I get Google Play insisting that it's incompatible with this 701i. How can this be?

I honestly don't understand much of what's being said in here about ROMs and ... well, mostly anything, but what does appear clear to me is that I may or may not have a 701c that the mfr maybe upgraded to ICS and thus called it a 701i. And I may or may not have a working TV out jack.

For sure, I do not have CRACKLE (or similar app) working which will allow me to watch free streaming movies or TV ... one of the main reasons I have a Tablet.

Will appreciate if someone will PLEASE HELP -- and in step by step terms sooo simple that even a pre-schooler couldn't misunderstand (given that even pre-schoolers these days understand more than me).

Thanks in advance a very embarrassed, partially bald irainbow.

Comment

ICS Firmware

I didn't see this link posted... So if it's a dupe, please let me know. It has the ICS 4.0.3 firmware. The firmware deactivates the TV Out port. Otherwise, it's ICS.

Also, the only way I was able to get Play installed under ICS was using ADB. If y'all want, I can write a how-to. It's pretty easy.

Another issue, some apps appear to hate ICS. For example, the ROM comes with Twitter and FB, but the Play Store says Twitter and FB are not compatible with the hardware(?!?).

Peace.

Denali

Comment

Originally posted by corki2 View Post
                    WiFi Keep alive works. My wifi stays awake so I get notifications when my screen is off (via PopUp Notifier). Works with my games as well as Groove Ip and GV messaging. I have my Notifier set to wake up my screen when I get an alert. I tried a couple others that said my wifi would stay on, but it didn't.

Sent from my Polaroid PMID701i using Tapatalk 2
                    Hello!

I'm DEFINITELY installing THAT one. That's THE most annoying thing about ICS, IMO.

For ME, editing and cut-&-paste is a real pain on ICS, too. I'm going to look for a better keyboard that might help out in that regard, like maybe the Gingerbread KB...

73 DE N4RPS
                    Rob

Comment

Originally posted by SingleDad View Post
                      This is pretty trivial but I thought I'd share for others. Today I was holding my 701C at my computer desk and I heard something hit the desk. One of the tiny black phillips head screws that hold the case together had fallen out.

Luckily I was right at the desk and it fell where I could see and hear it. Screwing it back in was of course no big deal, but it makes me wonder a little. I'd hate to have a screw or two fall out un-noticed.

I've never had mine apart so it's definitely not because I had left a screw loos. Also, I really don't think I've had mine all that long (a little under a month). I've mainly used it in the same spot so it's not like I've been toting it all over town.

You might want to check the screws in the four corners of your case. As easily as mine fell out you won't know it until it's gone!
                      Hello!

A VERY small amount of clear nail polish applied to the end of the screw threads will help prevent that from happening. I'll do MINE TODAY. (Hint, ST; apply a small amount of glyptol during manufacture, to help keep this from happening.)

73 DE N4RPS
                      Rob

Comment

Originally posted by irainbow View Post
                        Hello fellow Tablet users. I am living proof that tablet technology causes female pattern baldness!!! *pointing to all the new bald spots after pulling my hair out working with this tablet* How much can you expect from a tablet which offers as one of its sleep settings "Nerver" [sic] ROFL (I believed all the excitement you-all generated and after that, I just *had* to get mine up and running.)

That said, I have barely the vaguest notion of what-all you are talking about. Bought one of the Big Lots PMID701i tablets -- twice. The first time it had no TV jack. The second time it had a TV jack. Been trying to follow rooting directions, etc., and finally thanks to one particular set of instructions from a user on one of these forums (I'm soooo confused, I can't even find it anymore).

Without wasting further words to the back story, but asking for utter kindness if you are able to help me fix the following two issues:

1. Because I thought it would help on my battery capacity after reading something else somewhere in one of these forums, I went and cleared the cache on each of the following two apps and have now only all-greyed out buttons in MOBILE DATA and MOBILE NETWORK CONFIGURATION. Is this going to hurt my ability to use the tablet? (I use it mostly at home or near home off my WIFI).

2. When I had the first 701i, I was able to install and successfully use the Crackle app for Android. Now, I get Google Play insisting that it's incompatible with this 701i. How can this be?

I honestly don't understand much of what's being said in here about ROMs and ... well, mostly anything, but what does appear clear to me is that I may or may not have a 701c that the mfr maybe upgraded to ICS and thus called it a 701i. And I may or may not have a working TV out jack.

For sure, I do not have CRACKLE (or similar app) working which will allow me to watch free streaming movies or TV ... one of the main reasons I have a Tablet.

Will appreciate if someone will PLEASE HELP -- and in step by step terms sooo simple that even a pre-schooler couldn't misunderstand (given that even pre-schoolers these days understand more than me).

No worries, it's all good. Questions are how people learn.
                        1. My understanding is clearing cache and data shouldn't be a problem for those two apps.
                        2. When I upgraded my PMID701C to ICS, Google Play told me a LOT of apps were not available for my configuration. So I'm not surprised you're seeing this.

Also, concerning the TV port... The company that supports these tablets, Southern Telecom, says that the TV Out is not supported under ICS. My guess is they don't have a ICS supported driver for it. Without cracking one open to see what kind of chip is driving that port or having someone with a Gingerbread based unit look and see what drivers are loaded, it may take a bit of work to resolve that issue.

Of course, I may be wrong and reserve the right to be as such. This is my first tablet with Android, but not my first Android device.

Denali
                        Last edited by denali; 05-06-2012, 15:55. Reason: Didn't like the way it formatted.

Comment

Hello!

No, disabling mobile data won't hurt ANYTHING, and it WILL help to improve your battery life - which is already a LOT better than it is under Gingergread. There IS NO cellular radio in the 701x series of tablets.

If apps you don't need, like Phone.apk, are removed from the /system folder, it makes more room there for something else. This also goes for the bloatware that ST installs there.

We're not SUPPOSED to be able to use the Play Store, PERIOD. However, those of us who find that option as being unacceptable have done something about that.

To get your CRACKLE app back, you can either use the methods described on here to open your Play Store up to EVERYTHING, or install Google Chrome on your PC and the plugin for it that will allow you to SIDELOAD ANYTHING. The advantage to the latter method is that you will also have the apps backed up on your PC. Holler again, if you need help with the first recommendation...

Hope all THAT was simple enough for you. Now, please start letting some of your hair grow back!

73 DE N4RPS
                          Rob

Comment

Originally posted by denali View Post
                            I didn't see this link posted... So if it's a dupe, please let me know. It has the ICS 4.0.3 firmware. The firmware deactivates the TV Out port. Otherwise, it's ICS.

Also, the only way I was able to get Play installed under ICS was using ADB. If y'all want, I can write a how-to. It's pretty easy.

Another issue, some apps appear to hate ICS. For example, the ROM comes with Twitter and FB, but the Play Store says Twitter and FB are not compatible with the hardware(?!?).

Peace.

Denali
                            Hello!

As I see it, the more different ways we have to do things listed on here, the better. Not everyone can make every method work for them, but with a choice of options, perhaps people can find ONE of them that WILL, when ANOTHER WON'T...

73 DE N4RPS
                            Rob

Comment

With Thanks

artisticlogic helped talk me through fixing this Polaroid. To him, I am most grateful --
                              without his assistance, I'd still have been posting "huh?" "wha'"s to both you, N4RPS and denali.

Nonetheless, I am grateful to you three especially for all you each suggested. Perhaps one day, the bubble that prevents most of this talk from making sense will burst and I will suddenly join the ranks of "technigeeks." Nah-never happen! LOL

I may never know if this TV out port works, because I don't even have the appropriate cables, time enough for that adventure in a month or three! However, after artisticlogic helped me do whatever I did, Crackle installed (and works) without a problem.

Again, thanks to all who helped! (And now, I'm off to figure out how to use Skyfire app.)

Comment

artisticlogic helped talk me through fixing this Polaroid via one of the IMs. To him, I am most grateful and without his assistance, I'd still have been posting "huh?" "wha'"s to both you, N4RPS and denali.

Nonetheless, I am grateful for all you suggested. Perhaps one day, the bubble that prevents most of this talk from making sense will burst and I will suddenly join the ranks of "technigeeks." Nah-never happen! LOL

I may never know if this TV out port works, because I don't even have the appropriate cables, time enough for that adventure in a month or three!

Again, thanks to all who helped! (And now, I'm off to figure out how to use Skyfire app)
                                Hello!

I'm glad that artistlogic was able to talk you through it over IM. I would have been more than happy to have done that, also.

I hope artistlogic will PM me about my helping him to get the stickies updated with the latest possible information. A LOT has changed, and/or been improved upon, in the last few weeks. Those who don't want all this scattered all over the place here make an excellent point about our trying to not let that happen.

UIAM, the main purpose behind Skyfire is to allow those who can't run Flash to view Flash content on Web sites. I have found that getting Skyfire to recognize and run videos on Web sites is, at best, a hit-or-miss proposition. No arrogance on my part intended, mind you; perhaps you have ANOTHER compelling reason to want to use Skyfire. I just don't see the need in a workaround to Flash Player for a device that is able to use Flash Player instead.

If you DO opt for Flash Player, version 10.3 is recommended over 11. If that is no longer true, then by all means, SOMEBODY enlighten me!

73 DE N4RPS
                                Rob
                                Last edited by N4RPS; 05-06-2012, 21:06.

Comment

Working...
                                X