Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

****OFFICIAL Polaroid PMID701c THREAD! root, market, and more!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

****OFFICIAL Polaroid PMID701c THREAD! root, market, and more!

WELCOME to the official PMID701c Thread!

Specs for PMID710c :
    • 4GB internal storage
    • Micro SD card slot (SD card sold separately)
    • 1 GHz processor
    • 512 MB RAM
    • Screen resolution 800 x 480

http://www.biglots.com/search/product/7138

The PMID701c recently went on sale at BigLots! stores for 99$ and if you have found this thread, you're probably one of the lucky purchasers of this nice smooth little tablet. I was lucky enough to find this forum and all the helpful members immediately banded together to see what we could do with this little thing, and I must say we achieved quite a bit of progress in only a few days. In this thread, we will cover (and provide support for) the following:

• rooting/info on out-of-the-box semi-root
    • installing a working Google Play (market)
    • compatible accesories
    • (add new)
    • (add new)

One of the first things you should know is that this device comes out of the box what we call "semi-rooted" meaning that we technically already have root access for the most part, except we cannot Write to the /system directory which is an important ability we will also unlock here.

I myself was successfully able to install a working version of Android Market (Google Play interface, but the icon does not seem to update to the new Google Play icon with this method) by using this package:
    http://bit.ly/Hgzvyu <this link has to be d/l from a PC unpacked and THEN tossed on the SD

I first installed "OneTimeInitializer-signed.apk" successfully, then attempted to install "GoogleServicesFramework-signed.apk" but the installation failed for some reason. I moved on to "SetupWizard.apk", which was successful, and finally "vending-3.1.3-signed.apk", which also was successful.

This gives me a fully working version of the Android Market (only the Icon is the old Icon, launching actually shows the Google Play interface)

If the above does not work, or you prefer a newer version of Google Play complete with correct "new" icons, we have another solution for you. Thanks to user N4RPS for this great walkthrough on another way to get a working market:

Originally posted by N4RPS View Post

In case the procedure you stated gives anyone else a problem, here's another way to install the Market.

In a nutshell, I just used Root Explorer to change permissions on the /system folder to read/write. The write permissions Root Explorer gives to the /system folder don't seem to be permanent, but perhaps someone can assist me with accomplishing THAT feat LATER.

Here is that other way, step by step (Thanks a million, xda-developers!):

1. Download and gapps-gb-20110828-signed.zip (forget where I got it; Google for it...),

extract it to a folder, & copy that folder to the SD card

2. Download the PAID version of Root Explorer & install on the tablet

(A Google search will find THAT, too. BTW, the FREE version won't allow R/W access)

3. Open the Root Explorer app & navigate to the transferred .apk files

4. Select the GoogleServiceFramework.apk & install

5. When complete, click "Done" & return to the file location for Vending.apk

6. Long-press Vending.apk & select the "Move" option on pop-up menu

7. Navigate to /system/app folder

6. Change mount option from RO to RW (read-only to read-write)

7. Paste Vending.apk into the /system/app folder

8. Long-press Vending.apk & select "Permissions" from pop-up menu

9. Change permissions to match all other apps in this folder (rw-r--r--)

10. Install Vending.apk

11. Reboot your tablet (*I* didn't seem to need to, but it can't hurt, I suppose...)

Market now works as advertised. No crashies.

Icon ultimately updates to the Play Store icon, and now says 'Play Store'. This may be due to my setting updates to automatic in the app.

Perhaps one day, I'll be able to make the other way work for me, but surely this way just MIGHT help out someone who just wants to have the Android Market/Play Store on their tablet, without needing ADB & the other stuff.

Root Explorer will also allow you to remove unwanted system apps, or to add your favs to the /system folder.

Hope all this can help out someone other poor, confused soul!

73 DE N4RPS
    Rob
    A version of Root Explorer with the RW option can be found here:
    No posting of pirated APP links here!
    [/URL](above link also must be downloaded by PC and unzipped, thx again Zarealius lol)

As the above quote mentions, you must use Root Explorer to navigate to /system and make it RW by pressing the grey buttom near the top of the application.

Congrats, you now have root with a working Google Play/Android Market!

Special thanks to: Finless, N4RPS, sabercatpuck, notpod, N4RPS, Zarealius, and anyone else participating in helping us get this all figured out
    Last edited by artistlogic; 03-30-2012, 19:49. Reason: updating

Reserved

Polaroid PMID701c Cell Standby Bug Fix
    If you ever take a look at your battery stats, which you can see by using a battery widget, or by downloading "Any Cut"
    from Google Play, launch it, press New Shortcut,>Activity>Battery Use. You will then find a shortcut to see your battery stats on your home screen. This must be done because for some reason, the Battery Stats option that is normally in About Phone/Device is missing in the stock rom.

What we see here is symptoms of said bug. A large percentage of the battery is being eaten by a nonexistent Cell radio.

In order to fix this, you must again use Root Explorer which we used in the above tutorial for installing Google Play. Make sure that the folder /system is RW. The grey button at the top will say [Mount R/O] if you have successfully done this. From /system in Root Explorer, enter the folder called "app" and find Phone.apk. Long Press it, and choose Rename. Delete the "apk" part and replace it with "old" and it should now say Phone.old Press OK, and you will get a Force Close. Press the Reset button on the back of your tablet with a pen or paperclip, and your tablet will reboot. In about 24hours if you check back to your battery use screen, Cell Standby is no longer there, and you will notice a much longer battery life IMO:

The following are some helpful links compiled by sabercatpuck:

Originally posted by sabercatpuck
    Most of these are compiled from the various threads out there, but there are a few last minute additions too :
    The Big Lots sale that started it all:
    http://www.biglots.com/browseDepartm...ectronics/7138

The original 3 threads:
    http://www.freaktab.com/showthread.p...ID01C-PMID701C

Rooting and firmware for similar tablets:
    http://krishnabhargav.blogspot.com/2...2-rooting.html

The original thread from where Artistlogic got http://bit.ly/Hgzvyu :

Finless Patch kit:
    http://www.freaktab.com/showthread.p...ll-my-1-4-ROMs

A10 info:
    http://www.cnx-software.com/2011/12/...board-and-sdk/

Tablets with the same N707H6 motherboard:
    http://www.slatedroid.com/topic/2720...ics-firmwares/

RK29 drivers:
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...5&postcount=48

Motherboard particulars:
    Mainboard N707H6
    A10 BC056BA 2CY1 Allwiner Tech CPU
    K482G1646C-HCH9 Samsung DDR3 memory
    H27UBG8T2ATR Hynix NAND flash

Other good search terms(same motherboard):
    Onda VX610W
    Crane-N707H6
    Last edited by artistlogic; 04-03-2012, 22:04.

Comment

Reserved Too

Reserved T00

Comment

Originally posted by Finless
        BTW thanks man! The polaroid guys needed this!

I will delete these other posts so no worries...

YOU DA MAN!

Bob
        No, YOU DA MAN BOB!

I'll be online for a bit putting this stuff together, i'll shoot you a message when it's all done.

Comment

i can work on putting together a list of interesting side links from the 3 threads either tonight or in the morning if you want to concentrate more on what we have learned specifically on thus unit.
          i could work on things like links to similar devices, datasheets, other roms to look to for guidance etc, mostly the research stuff that might be usefull.

Comment

Dont forget to state what has to be done from a PC and what has to be done from the Tablet

EX.
            I myself was successfully able to install a working version of Android Market (Google Play interface, but the icon does not seem to update to the new Google Play icon with this method) by using this package:
            http://bit.ly/Hgzvyu. <this link has to be d/l from a PC unpacked and THEN tossed on the SD

hate to post here about this but I said Id help and I've yet to recieve that email to be able to discuss anything outside the forum

Comment

Originally posted by Zarealius View Post
              Dont forget to state what has to be done from a PC and what has to be done from the Tablet

EX.
              http://bit.ly/Hgzvyu. <this link has to be d/l from a PC unpacked and THEN tossed on the SD

hate to post here about this but I said Id help and I've yet to recieve that email to be able to discuss anything outside the forum
              Great point and thanks for the heads up, i added that. and Saber if you want to write something PM it to me and I will add it in.

Comment

I'm Happy To Help!

Hello!

Let me start by congratulating Bob for all he's done to create a custom ROM for some of the other tablets, and for fixing the Google Play issues. (Sounds like THAT process was a real PAIN for him!) I also really like Bob's and Artistlogic's idea to split all this off into another forum.

To be able to plunge fully into what goes on inside the tablet, it's very hard to get by without using Google's ADB to do so. UIAM, unlike Velocity Micro does for the Cruz, Southern Telecom does not seem to have an ADB driver available for the PMID701C available in its support section.

Since adding the driver wasn't exactly a cut-and-dried process for me, I'd like to add a tutorial on a method I found on the Web to load the ADB drivers onto the tablet by using PDANet - with the permission of the echo. If all this information we are discovering is made available in one convenient place, it'll be a lot easier for everyone who might show up here later.

73 DE N4RPS
                Rob

Comment

PMID701C versus PTAB7200

Hello,

Which do you think is a better Tablet....the PMID701C or PTAB7200?
                  I know both all almost similar but wanted your opinion.

Comment

Hello!

I can't say for sure, but right now, for a bill ($100.00), the 701C is really hard to beat.

I looked at the manuals for both. Since the 701c charges through the USB port and has a component video TV out jack, I'd give the edge to the 701c.

Other tablets in this price range run 2.0 out of the box. Sure, 2.2 will run on 'em, but with only half the memory and processor speed of the 701c (which runs 2.3), 2.2 runs at a crawl. Also, Flash Player, which is an essential component of the total Android experience, won't install or run on them.

Even though I bought one of the slower tabs a few weeks ago, I rushed out right away to scoop up a 701c.

73 DE N4RPS
                    Rob
                    Last edited by N4RPS; 04-01-2012, 20:58.

Comment

Originally posted by Finless
                      Artistlogic, you ready to have me move this posted into a stuck thread? Or you still working on it?

Bob
                      Were still working on it as group kinda here and there when we notice something to be innacurate or need to be modified.

Also Atrist,
                      "A version of Root Explorer with the RW option can be found here:
                      NO POSTING OF PIRATE APP HERE!
                      ^
                      [/COLOR]This link also had to be d/l'd to a PC and moved to the SD manually.

Comment

I'm about done with the title post here, because I think that's about all we know for now, so we can go ahead and move it back and add things as we discover them (to my reserved spaces). If anyone has anything else they'd want added, discovered, etc they can post or PM me and we'll get it all added.

Comment

I'm dying here and getting extremely frustrated.

I copied the folder into my SD card, the OneTimeInitializer.apk and the SetupWizard.apk just say application not installed.

I bought the root access app but I can't download it to my tablet.

Help me guys, you're my only hope =*(

Comment

Two problems with PMID701c

***UPDATE*** The rotation/tilt sensor problem can be fixed by a setting under Settings -> Display -> Accelerometer Coordinate System. My bad for missing it before posting.

First of all many thanks to whomever released the Google Market Hack! Works great.

That said here are my two issues with this tablet so far.

• Some games seems to interpret the tilt sensor 90 degrees in the wrong direction (temple run, doodle jump).
                            • The non-existent cell phone radio keeps trying to connect and is killing the battery life.

If anyone can offer some insight/help on these issues it would be appreciated. Thanks!
                            Last edited by drywall420; 04-01-2012, 22:18. Reason: Fixed tilt issue.

Comment

Originally posted by Loougle View Post
                              I'm dying here and getting extremely frustrated.

I copied the folder into my SD card, the OneTimeInitializer.apk and the SetupWizard.apk just say application not installed.

I bought the root access app but I can't download it to my tablet.

Help me guys, you're my only hope =*(
                              I just went through the N4RPS method just fine. Just have to follow along step by step. The only real problem I had was downloading some adware off of qfpost accidentally.
                              You can find a couple links to Gapps here:

Then I installed Gmail so I could set up my account this way my paid apps transfer over:
                              hello, i was wondering if anyone could post or pm me the stock gmail.apk, i accidentally erased it without backing it up and i cant find it anywhere

I also had a copy of the new market that you can get here and install afterwards:
                              This Market is for people with 480x800+ devices that weren't properly rendering the new market. APK is attached. Works great on Nexus S and Vibrant. It may work on 2.1 and 1.6 but I haven't tried. Install like a normal apk.

The other thing you need to remember doing it this way is the locations
                              for the SD card it is:
                              /mnt/sdcard
                              I had just copied over the whole folder so that goes in as :
                              /mnt/sdcard/gapps-gb-20110828-signed/system/app
                              At step 6 he mentions changing the permissions, ths is a small box right tward the top of the screen
                              Then when he is talking about changing the permissions he shows it like it works out. If you need an example try long clicking on the settings.apk just above and check how it is set up

Comment

Working...
                              X