• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Southern Telecom Polaroid Stock Roms

Update webpage is listed in answer to a question in their FAQ section

http://southerntelecom.com/polaroidsupport/firmware/

Currently available for PMID700 & PTAB7200

Firmware update guide: http://southerntelecom.com/polaroids...are_guide.html

Hmm, interesting

Well still no ROM's available but the step 2 on the instalation procedure page is missing suggesting an update procedure may be being worked on at least

Comment

Originally posted by sabercatpuck View Post
      Well still no ROM's available but the step 2 on the instalation procedure page is missing suggesting an update procedure may be being worked on at least
      Yeah I saw that too...it also looks like the Firmware Update Guide page has changed too. It looks like they are trying to idiot proof the page some more. Huge "PRINT THIS PAGE" buttons etc

Comment

Hopefully that means they are moving on the ics update for the 701c.
        If at first you don't succeed; call it version 1.0

Comment

Originally posted by helpless automation View Post
          Hopefully that means they are moving on the ics update for the 701c.
          I doubt it...there was supposed to be stock firmware for the 701C and/or 701 this week. I was told the ICS update for the 701C was going to be "at least" 2 weeks away and that was last week.

That being said I don't see why the 701i rom wouldn't work on the 701C...they are the same darn tablet. Of course I'm sure Polaroid will make the firmware updates model specific in an attempt to prevent forum members from doing that too easily

Comment

Just thinking out loud here...but in doing some research online I've come across plenty of posts from 701C owners who have locked themselves out of their tablet because they set a swipe pattern/password pin etc and can't remember it.

The only way to resolve this situation for the typical consumer is to restore the tablet to factory default settings by reinstalling factory firmware. Many of these customers have presumably been waiting weeks for Polaroid to release the stock Firmware....kinda crappy customer support if ya ask me!

I'd be pretty angry if I got locked out my new purchase and customer support basically told me to sit around and wait for a month or so until they got around to it

Comment

Locked Out? RETURN IT!

Originally posted by SingleDad View Post
              Just thinking out loud here...but in doing some research online I've come across plenty of posts from 701C owners who have locked themselves out of their tablet because they set a swipe pattern/password pin etc and can't remember it.

The only way to resolve this situation for the typical consumer is to restore the tablet to factory default settings by reinstalling factory firmware. Many of these customers have presumably been waiting weeks for Polaroid to release the stock Firmware....kinda crappy customer support if ya ask me!

I'd be pretty angry if I got locked out my new purchase and customer support basically told me to sit around and wait for a month or so until they got around to it
              Hello!

Until ST gets around to providing these 'updates', my recommendation for ANYONE who gets locked out of their tablet is to return it to its place of purchase for refund or exchange. (It COULD be flashed again with Shawn's ROM, but this violates ST's warranty.).

Locking one's self out of their own tablet should not constitute grounds for return, but with no other alternative, hopefully, it won't take a gaggle of returns through the retailers for them to finally get the message about the need for them to resolve their customer support issues concerning these tablets as soon as possible.

73 DE N4RPS/3
              Rob

Comment

Warranty

As far as I know, my rom probably looks exactly identical to the stock rom Southern Telecom will release. I highly doubt it would void your warranty if you flashed my rom. For anyone who does lock themselves out of the tablet, I would highly recommend that they flash my rom I made for the 701C, it looks just like stock and was made from PMID701C rom dumps straight from a stock tablet.

Comment

Originally posted by shawnbusker View Post
                  As far as I know, my rom probably looks exactly identical to the stock rom Southern Telecom will release. I highly doubt it would void your warranty if you flashed my rom. For anyone who does lock themselves out of the tablet, I would highly recommend that they flash my rom I made for the 701C, it looks just like stock and was made from PMID701C rom dumps straight from a stock tablet.
                  Hello!

It certainly wouldn't if it could not be determined that the device had been reflashed.

Let none of my comments in any way subtract from your outstanding accomplishment. It's about how a manufacturer WON'T have an ear for a few disgruntled end users, but will more likely listen to a high-volume reseller that is experiencing a higher-than-average return rate due to a failure of the manufacturer to provide the needed end-user support.

This new alternative is great for those with the 701c, and I'm sure a 701i ROM is forthcoming. However, in the meantime, anyone who needs to back up or reflash a 701i, Onda ROM notwithstanding, is out of luck for now.

I will be getting the 701i in the next day or two, which, if it's easy to do a 701i ROM dump, I'd be happy to provide toward opening a similar path for the 701i, and a way for 701c owners to upgrade to a 701i ROM or to downgrade to Gingerbread, should someone with a 701i want to - which, given your ROM, is already possible.

Is it possible to have a reflash that can be done simply by entering recovery mode, without using LiveSuite?

73 DE N4RPS/3
                  Rob

Comment

701i

Originally posted by N4RPS View Post
                    Hello!

It certainly wouldn't if it could not be determined that the device had been reflashed.

Let none of my comments in any way subtract from your outstanding accomplishment. It's about how a manufacturer WON'T have an ear for a few disgruntled end users, but will more likely listen to a high-volume reseller that is experiencing a higher-than-average return rate due to a failure of the manufacturer to provide the needed end-user support.

This new alternative is great for those with the 701c, and I'm sure a 701i ROM is forthcoming. However, in the meantime, anyone who needs to back up or reflash a 701i, Onda ROM notwithstanding, is out of luck for now.

I will be getting the 701i in the next day or two, which, if it's easy to do a 701i ROM dump, I'd be happy to provide toward opening a similar path for the 701i, and a way for 701c owners to upgrade to a 701i ROM or to downgrade to Gingerbread, should someone with a 701i want to - which, given your ROM, is already possible.

Is it possible to have a reflash that can be done simply by entering recovery mode, without using LiveSuite?

73 DE N4RPS/3
                    Rob
                    I've actually been working on a backup & restore system with Live Suite that'll make a backup with all of your data, make a reflash image, and flash it back with Live Suite when your device becomes bricked. Currently you could use CWM, but if you don't have adb turned on before your device becomes bricked, there would be no way of getting into it unless you could do the command,
                    adb shell "echo -n boot-recovery | busybox dd of=/dev/block/nande count=1 conv=sync; sync; reboot"
                    That command would boot CWM if you had it installed and adb enabled.

As for the 701i, I'd love to help make a rom that would flash onto a 701C, I think we'd have to compare /drv folders first, but it should work all the same. Once you get the 701i, PM me and we can sort out getting the img files dumped. That would be cool seeing ICS on the 701C without needing to use the Onda rom.

Also, let it be known that I sent a message to Southern Telecom about my stock rom when I first made it and they still haven't replied. I think they're probably surprised that someone was able to make a stock rom before they could.

Shawn
                    Last edited by shawnbusker; 04-20-2012, 18:31.

Comment

Installation Revision

Originally posted by sabercatpuck View Post
                      The pdf has only been revised. The second step has been incorporated in the step 1 page.

Comment

Cleaned up

I have cleaned up this POST and moved all the debate about returns etc into a new post.

PLEASE STOP that discussion here so this thread remains what it was intended to discuss.

Use this thread for further convos about returns and it's ethics.

http://www.freaktab.com/showthread.p...-about-returns

Bob
                        "Pzebacz im, bo nie wiedzą, co czynią"
                        "Прости им, они не ведают, что творят"
                        "Perdona loro perché non sanno quello che fanno"
                        "Vergib ihnen, denn sie wissen nicht, was sie tun"
                        "Vergeef hen want ze weten niet wat ze doen"
                        "Pardonne-leur car ils ne savent pas ce qu'ils font"
                        "Perdónalos porque no saben que lo que hacen"
                        "Oprosti im, jer ne znaju što čine"
                        "Forgive them as they know not what they do"

Comment

Bitch!!

Sorry Bob. Wasn't me, it was my cousin. Please delete this post.

Shawn

Comment

Originally posted by shawnbusker View Post
                            I've actually been working on a backup & restore system with Live Suite that'll make a backup with all of your data, make a reflash image, and flash it back with Live Suite when your device becomes bricked. Currently you could use CWM, but if you don't have adb turned on before your device becomes bricked, there would be no way of getting into it unless you could do the command,
                            adb shell "echo -n boot-recovery | busybox dd of=/dev/block/nande count=1 conv=sync; sync; reboot"
                            That command would boot CWM if you had it installed and adb enabled.

As for the 701i, I'd love to help make a rom that would flash onto a 701C, I think we'd have to compare /drv folders first, but it should work all the same. Once you get the 701i, PM me and we can sort out getting the img files dumped. That would be cool seeing ICS on the 701C without needing to use the Onda rom.

Also, let it be known that I sent a message to Southern Telecom about my stock rom when I first made it and they still haven't replied. I think they're probably surprised that someone was able to make a stock rom before they could.

Shawn
                            Hello!

They have this firmware already, or we wouldn't have tablets. For reasons known only to them, they just don't want to cut 'em loose yet.

MY experiences with attempting to contact them seem to indicate that the only way to get them to acknowledge you is to call them.

But enough about all that, I suppose...

Enabling the ability to use ADB will be the first thing I do to the new tablet. For the uninitiated, just getting the drivers installed for the PC to talk to the tablet can be somewhat of a challenge. I had to dig around a little myself to figure out exactly how to do that.

I'll have to familarize myself with using LiveSuite and doing ROM dumps. That's why I like CRM - I can restore this thing on the fly, without having to plug it into a PC.

I'm having issues with Play Store again, but I'll start a new thread to discuss that.

73 DE N4RPS/3
                            Rob

Comment

For adb all you really need to do is install the android sdk and install the platform tools, I can help out with that if you need it. Live Suite is fairly easy too, all you have to do is power off your tablet, hold the menu button, and plug in the usb connector. My next rom is going to have native play market already installed, so it should work on first boot.

Does anyone know how Southern Telecom update img files are packaged? We should look into unpacking the current 701i rom and taking the root.img, system.img, etc from there.

Shawn

Comment

Working...
                              X