Information about Polaroid A/S8

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Information about Polaroid A/S8

When I first looked for information about the A/S8 on the internet there was hardly anything there. That drove me into discovering the information myself. This is some of what I found..

Partition Map:
    nanda = bootloader
    nandb = env
    nandc = boot
    nandd = system - 1GB
    nande = data - 1GB
    nandf = misc
    nandg = recovery - 32mb
    nandh = cache
    nandi = databk
    nandj = private
    nandk = UDISK

I have submitted the partition information to the online nandroid guy for him to add the device to his scripts. I have not heard anything back from him yet..

Overclocking:
    I have been able to overclock the device from 912mhz to 1150ish and the device ran smooth.. Any time I raised the clock upwards from there resulted in a hard freeze. 912mhz is set from boot. i am guessing the hard freeze could be from the voltage but I am not sure nor have i changed the voltage settings to see if it will go past. this may come at a later time.

dalvik-memory:
    the biggest difference in memory i have seen is from changing to the google-updated firmware.

factory-
    dalvik.vm.heapsize=128m
    dalvik.vm.heapstartsize=6m
    dalvik.vm.heapgrowthlimit=64m
    dalvik.vm.heaptargetutilization=0.75
    dalvik.vm.heapminfree=512K
    dalvik.vm.heapmaxfree=2m

google-update-
    dalvik.vm.heapsize=384m
    dalvik.vm.heapstartsize=8m
    dalvik.vm.heapgrowthlimit=96m
    dalvik.vm.heaptargetutilization=0.75
    dalvik.vm.heapminfree=2m
    dalvik.vm.heapmaxfree=8m

Also, the factory image that came on my device is an "eng" or engineering build. This build has adb capabilities by default. This build is Android 4.2.2 and it has NO google play. This build in my opinion runs quicker than the google-updated version. I will link this build for you to revert back if you have updated to the google-updated version. This is a factory reset/wipe build. So there has been nothing added or deleted. It is exactly as it came on the device.

The google-updated build is a "user" or end user build. This build is preset to secure adb access with cutting it off. I have modified these settings to allow adb access from the computer with the ability to root the device. You can root this build by installing my pheonixsuit image. Nothing in this build has been added or deleted. The only changes are the ones to unlock the image for adb access. A link will be provided.

One thing that I do not like about the device is the fact that it only has 1gb of sd storage built-in. I have a 32gb class10 card in the extsd slot. I modified the stock google-updated image to automatically switch these on boot. My A/S8 runs fine with these switched. The only problem I have with this build is in settings and clicking on storage. The storage app terminates. Everything else in the device runs perfect. I am just hung on that one app. The installs run fine automatically going to the 32gb sd card as the internal sd. I hope to be able to work out the problem with this soon. And ultimately have a build that doesnt give that error.

These devices have:
    • CPU Cortex™-A7 Dual-Core
    • GPU Mali400MP2
    • 2160P video decoding
    • H.264 HP 1080P@30fps video encoding
    • HDMI with HDCP, VGA, LVDS/RGB LCD
    • Pin-compatible with the predecessor A10

Much of the device is compatible with A10 stuff.

I wanted to put this stuff up so it will give a bit more information for people interested.

adb drivers for windows
    MediaFire is a simple to use free service that lets you put all your photos, documents, music, and video in a single place so you can access them anywhere and share them everywhere.

alternate adb drivers for windows
    MediaFire is a simple to use free service that lets you put all your photos, documents, music, and video in a single place so you can access them anywhere and share them everywhere.

adb-modified google-update
    http://www.mediafire.com/download/za1nbcl9xy95ams/Modified-AS8_0827_GMS-20130909.zip

Last edited by guessyet; 12-25-2013, 04:19. Reason: removed link to image - wrong mount point for internal sd

space-saver

Comment

Now when you say a10 stuff can I install TWRP a10 rrecovery?

Comment

Originally posted by Avenger I View Post
        no.. recovery is something i am working on..

Comment

Originally posted by guessyet View Post
          no.. recovery is something i am working on..
          I got the SD card switch to work with no settings problems. Do you want a copy of my good.fstab

Comment

I got the SD card switch to work with no settings problems. Do you want a copy of my good.fstab
            absolutely!!! is my hope to find people here to work with..

dev_mount sdcard /mnt/sdcard auto /devices/virtual/block/nandk /devices/platform/sunxi-mmc.2/mmc_host
            dev_mount extsd /mnt/extsd auto /devices/platform/sunxi-mmc.1/mmc_host /devices/platform/sunxi-mmc.0/mmc_host

my switch was swapping the mount points for sdcard and extsd. basically telling the system to boot with the sdcard as:

dev_mount sdcard /mnt/sdcard auto /devices/platform/sunxi-mmc.1/mmc_host /devices/platform/sunxi-mmc.0/mmc_host

which will mount the first partition of the external sdcard as /sdcard and not /mnt/extsd.. Also, for initial testing I disabled nandk from mounting all together..

Comment

## Vold 2.0 fstab for HTC Passion
              #
              ## - San Mehat ([email protected])
              ##
              #######################
              ## Regular device mount
              ##
              ## Format: dev_mount <label> <mount_point> <part> <sysfs_path1...>
              ## label - Label for the volume
              ## mount_point - Where the volume will be mounted
              ## part - Partition # (1 based), or 'auto' for first usable partition.
              ## <sysfs_path> - List of sysfs paths to source devices
              ######################

# Mounts the first usable partition of the specified device
              #/devices/platform/awsmc.3/mmc_host for sdio
              dev_mount extsd /mnt/extsd auto /devices/virtual/block/nandj /devices/platform/sunxi-mmc.2/mmc_host
              dev_mount sdcard /mnt/sdcard auto /devices/platform/sunxi-mmc.1/mmc_host /devices/platform/sunxi-mmc.0/mmc_host
              dev_mount usbhost1 /mnt/usbhost1 auto /devices/platform/sw-ehci.1 /devices/platform/sw_hcd_host0 /devices/platform/sw-ohci.1

Trying to see what's different here.

Comment

"dev_mount extsd /mnt/extsd auto /devices"-note dev mount extsd vs sdcard
                ## Vold 2.0 fstab for HTC Passion
                #
                ## - San Mehat ([email protected])
                ##
                #######################
                ## Regular device mount
                ##
                ## Format: dev_mount <label> <mount_point> <part> <sysfs_path1...>
                ## label - Label for the volume
                ## mount_point - Where the volume will be mounted
                ## part - Partition # (1 based), or 'auto' for first usable partition.
                ## <sysfs_path> - List of sysfs paths to source devices
                ######################

# Mounts the first usable partition of the specified device
                #/devices/platform/awsmc.3/mmc_host for sdio
                dev_mount extsd /mnt/extsd auto /devices/virtual/block/nandj /devices/platform/sunxi-mmc.2/mmc_host
                dev_mount usbhost1 /mnt/usbhost1 auto /devices/platform/sw-ehci.1 /devices/platform/sw_hcd_host0 /devices/platform/sw-ohci.1

Trying to see what's different here.
                https://public.bay.livefilestore.com...ion.png?psid=1

Comment

Polaroid A8 ???

CWM ?? Finding info on this Tablet is like searching for the lost Arc..

Comment

Originally posted by Youngarson View Post
                    CWM ?? Finding info on this Tablet is like searching for the lost Arc..
                    Same can be said for the A/S10.

Comment

I now have TWRP (with touch screen) working for the AS8. It is included with the rooted roms here:

Comment

I've successfully flashed a zip using TWRP. The good thing about this device though, is that it's not bootloader locked. And I've found kernel sources as well. I have no idea on how to make a device repo though. Can get the .rc's to start however.

Comment

Houston, we have a boot img dump

Comment

Excellent job Guessyet. I just managed to find a way to mount the .img update file included with the PhoenixSuite software...turns out Windows 8.1 isn't too keen on mounting .img files, so I had to rename it to a .zip file and mount it from there. Go figure. But I did manage to include root access in my modified img/zip file, but I couldn't figure out how to enable ADB access, how is this done? If you don't mind me asking. If I can get that fixed and borrow your SD mounting changes I might try a little experimentation with the stock-updated-rom myself and see what kinda tweaks I can incorporate. I know how to use Aroma installer to build on-installation customizable ROMs and mods, so hopefully now that you've got TWRP running I can make use of it.

Again, thanks for the hard work!

Comment

Originally posted by guessyet View Post
                              I now have TWRP (with touch screen) working for the AS8. It is included with the rooted roms here:
                              http://www.freaktab.com/showthread.p...-ROOTED-TWRP**
                              BTW guessyet I can probably help you obtain init.d support on this if you want some input...If it's anything like the other 'stock' Polaroid ROMs, this sucker should be able to support it.
                              https://public.bay.livefilestore.com...ion.png?psid=1

Comment

Working...
                              X