No announcement yet.

Information about Polaroid A/S8

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I may actually take a look into this when my kids give me the time.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Comment

I know I'm a few years late but really, THANK YOU. This was a fun project. My first attempt at a total 'droid overhaul. I had bought it for $20 with the intention of using it as a remote control, basically (Netflix, HBOGO, etc..). As you well know, half the apps I wanted weren't available for download through the store. Furthermore the thing was so slow it bordered on non-responsive. Got frustrated, put it down and forgot about it. Lately I've been really getting into tech support/service/repair as both a hobby and a living, saw it collecting dust and thought "what have I got to lose?". I was barely scratching the surface until I stumbled into here. Next thing I knew, I had a custom kernel installed, the device hence rooted, TWRP installed (which I'm immediately looking into installing on my S7) and the device overclocked. I'm still dialing in the overclock using benchmarks and stress tests but the thing is running circles around some friends' rather expensive iPads and getting close to functioning similar to modern devices. Not only a fun project but I'm now thinking of "refurbishing" old Android devices to provide cheap alternatives for folks who otherwise wouldn't own the more prohibitively expensive devices. No one likes crappy tech! Long story short, you rock! Also quite pleased to have joined the forum.

Comment

• guessyet
        guessyet commented
        Editing a comment
        I sure do like when people just try something for the first time .. i hope all goes well with your tech endeavor.. - the refurb for cheap alternatives - i actually thought about doing that a couple years back.. I think it would be pretty cool...I also had something similar in mind for an A/S8 with a bad screen and now sound.. Turn it into a hotspot.. I went as far as digging through dd-wrt code before i was rushed away to do something of more importance... lol.. IF you have any questions or need any help.. dont hesitate to ask..

Guess.

EDIT:
      So, as it seems, I owe you a second thank you. A close friend is starting classes and her major one is English Literature. Rather than spending $200+ on books, I was able to put Amazon and Kindle on the tablet and she can get almost all of them for free.
      I solved the below issue too!. Not even sure what my root cause was. I just tried to install each one again today and SetCPU actually installed.
      Very happy guy right now.

Actually, since you offered! Can you suggest a compatible overclocking app for the pre-Google O/S? I found that the services were seriously bogging it down and for no good reason (updating Maps, for instance) so I flashed back but I've tried SetCPU, Tegrak, and AnTuTu (can't get them to install at all) and Voltage Control (which installs but informs me it's incompatible with the kernel). I had SetCPU running fine on the later kernel but can't get anything on there with the pre-Google kernel. Thoughts/suggestions? I would appreciate any input as I had it running fairly nice ~1200mhz and I think it will sing with the older kernel at that speed.
      As a side note, I'm using PhoenixSuit to install the overclock APKs I've tried thus far, as that has worked until now. Is there a better way?

-Stain
      Last edited by MysteryStain; 09-05-2016, 00:09.

Comment

Working...
      X