Good Backup Software

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good Backup Software

I tried ics android 4 and although I liked the interface alot the apps I used in 2.3 didnt show up on 4.0 so I went back to 2.3, Maybe I will upgrade in the future when app developers catch up with ICS. anyway if I experiment in the future Is there a good backup app to save everything like app and data preferably to a pc but atleast to the external sd card?

I JUST started using Titanium Backup and I really like it. There's a free version but the added bulk/batch restore functionality of the pro version is really nice. It works really well for me. I was impressed enough I actually paid the less than $7.00 to unlock the pro version.

There ARE free backup utilities out there but I don't have any experience with them.

Comment

Originally posted by dougg View Post
      I tried ics android 4 and although I liked the interface alot the apps I used in 2.3 didnt show up on 4.0 so I went back to 2.3, Maybe I will upgrade in the future when app developers catch up with ICS.
      Forgive my ignorance but what do you mean by "alot of the apps didn't show up on 4.0?" Do you mean in the market? Or do you mean your apps disappeared on the tablet when you upgraded the firmware/rom?

Comment

I tried ics android 4 and although I liked the interface alot the apps I used in 2.3 didnt show up on 4.0 so I went back to 2.3, Maybe I will upgrade in the future when app developers catch up with ICS. anyway if I experiment in the future Is there a good backup app to save everything like app and data preferably to a pc but atleast to the external sd card?
        Hello!

You can use the installed App Manager to back 'em up to the External SD card and reinstall them onto 4.0, I suppose...

I installed KKROMKit and ClockWorkMod to back up the whole ball of wax (or at least most of it) onto an SD card, and to reboot into recovery mode. Sadly, right now, it only supports 2.3.

Wish 4.0 had it, but supposedly, someone's working on it. You could copy the images CWM creates from the external SD to your PC. Maybe Shawn will help us in porting it to ICS.

73 DE N4RPS
        Rob

Comment

Originally posted by SingleDad View Post
          Forgive my ignorance but what do you mean by "alot of the apps didn't show up on 4.0?" Do you mean in the market? Or do you mean your apps disappeared on the tablet when you upgraded the firmware/rom?
          Sorry I should clarify, Apps that I installed on 2.3 apear not to be available on 4 on the market/Store. but backup is actually another topic so when I do experimenting I can get everything back, I used the backup from android Assistant but it got wiped by the firmware update. I will look at titanium Thanks.

Also If they dont show up in the market does that mean there not compatable?

Comment

You need to copy the files to a PC

Sorry I should clarify, Apps that I installed on 2.3 apear not to be available on 4 on the market/Store. but backup is actually another topic so when I do experimenting I can get everything back, I used the backup from android Assistant but it got wiped by the firmware update. I will look at titanium Thanks.

Any options of backup need to be copied over to a PC or exteral SD card before you do a flash or they will be wiped out allong with the rest of the OS, and if you use an extrnal SD card you need to remove it before performing the livesuite flash as well.
            Personally I love Titanium Backup, I have been an owner since I was getting ready to flash my first ROM onto my Eris a few years ago. Not only does it give you great access to all of the programs running on the device (yes care must be taken then), but it has some options for moving apps between platforms. When I rooted my Eris I was able to upgrade to gingerbread cyanogenmod with very minimal loss of data. If you open it up, hit the menu button and select preferences, down tward the bottom of the list is a setting called "Migrate system data". If that is checked then it will try to keep all of the data allong with the Apps going from one platform to another. I was even able to use this to go from my phone to the tablet.

Comment

Ok..gotcha!

In theory if the app doesn't show up it's because it isn't compatible with the device. However for our tablets I think it's less of an issue of not being compatible and more of an issue of GOOGLE not recognizing our tablet because it isn't an official tablet that officially paid to play the Market game.

I can assure you many of the apps that disappear from or never appear in Google Play are indeed compatible with our tablet. If you get the apk and sideload them many will run just fine. Of course not ALL, but many.

Try the LiquidLimez market fix app here. It fools Google Play into viewing our tablets as a Samsung tablet recognized by the Market and it unlocks all those apps that are hiding from you. That is until the folks at the Big G figure out how to lock us out another way!

If that doesn't suit your needs there are all kinds of alternatives to Google Play that have been floating around here. Give one of those a try!

Comment

Originally posted by N4RPS View Post
                Hello!

You can use the installed App Manager to back 'em up to the External SD card and reinstall them onto 4.0, I suppose...

I installed KKROMKit and ClockWorkMod to back up the whole ball of wax (or at least most of it) onto an SD card, and to reboot into recovery mode. Sadly, right now, it only supports 2.3.

Wish 4.0 had it, but supposedly, someone's working on it. You could copy the images CWM creates from the external SD to your PC. Maybe Shawn will help us in porting it to ICS.

73 DE N4RPS
                Rob
                Where can you get this from? The 2.3 version that is.

Comment

This process works for me very well when I only want the APK's backed up. It does not back up user data.

http://www.freaktab.com/showthread.p...p-and-recovery

It's fast as hell and will backup to sdcard, etc. You can use ADB or use a command shell from the tablet.

Bob
                  "Pzebacz im, bo nie wiedzą, co czynią"
                  "Прости им, они не ведают, что творят"
                  "Perdona loro perché non sanno quello che fanno"
                  "Vergib ihnen, denn sie wissen nicht, was sie tun"
                  "Vergeef hen want ze weten niet wat ze doen"
                  "Pardonne-leur car ils ne savent pas ce qu'ils font"
                  "Perdónalos porque no saben que lo que hacen"
                  "Oprosti im, jer ne znaju što čine"
                  "Forgive them as they know not what they do"

Comment

Originally posted by c,lei View Post
                    Where can you get this from? The 2.3 version that is.
                    Hello!

Search for 'KK' in the Polaroid forums here. That's where I got the information on it.

If there was only one for ICS...

73 DE N4RPS
                    Rob

Comment

Originally posted by N4RPS View Post
                      Hello!

Search for 'KK' in the Polaroid forums here. That's where I got the information on it.

If there was only one for ICS...

73 DE N4RPS
                      Rob
                      Ok. Found it. Have you run across any problems or bugs with the 2.3 version so far?

Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                      X