Anyone see a problem with the execution of Polaroid's Firmware "Upgrade?"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone see a problem with the execution of Polaroid's Firmware "Upgrade?"

Does anyone see a slight flaw in the way Polaroid/S.T. have published their firmware "update" to ICS for PMID 701C users?

While I don't think they are going around publicly announcing it, I'm a little worried some 701C users might not fully understand they are flashing new firmware AFTER a format.

The broken english warnings in livesuite attempt to point this out, but it does a pretty horrible job.

I'm hoping a bunch of excited 701C users don't jump to "update" to new firmware with a boatload of apps and important data..only to discover it's gone after they flash 4.0.

To stay ahead of a couple individuals who lurk here trolling for trouble I would like to state the following:
    1. I'm NOT trying to bash S.T.
    2. I'm NOT trying to create a venue for you to complain and dictate how it's wrong to criticize their support.
    3. I'm not looking for a flame war or detailed arguments about whether or not users should fully read instructions etc.

I'm just making an observation. Maybe S.T. should point out toward the very top of their guide that this isn't the typical update the end user might be expecting. It's not going to just update their Gingerbread firmware to ICS and leave all their data and apps intact.

PLEASE NOTE: If you are upgrading the PMID701C tablet to Android 4.0, the TV-out option will no longer function as Android 4.0 does not support TV-out on our Tablets.

This. Why? Doesn't the 701i have tv-out? And to be honest. I'm going to check the files to see if they copied my work. I really don't think they did, but if they did I will know.

Shawn

Comment

Using there method, Test device, bought for and to play with rooting, I have found there firmware upgrade makes the 701c appear as an 701i. If you flash their upgrade with the known method...I'm not sure if their firmware causes format or live suite does, I closed out window that popped up and followed steps in video using their img. Where does the format really occur?

Comment

Originally posted by SingleDad View Post
        Does anyone see a slight flaw in the way Polaroid/S.T. have published their firmware "update" to ICS for PMID 701C users?

While I don't think they are going around publicly announcing it, I'm a little worried some 701C users might not fully understand they are flashing new firmware AFTER a format.

The broken english warnings in livesuite attempt to point this out, but it does a pretty horrible job.

I'm hoping a bunch of excited 701C users don't jump to "update" to new firmware with a boatload of apps and important data..only to discover it's gone after they flash 4.0.

To stay ahead of a couple individuals who lurk here trolling for trouble I would like to state the following:
        1. I'm NOT trying to bash S.T.
        2. I'm NOT trying to create a venue for you to complain and dictate how it's wrong to criticize their support.
        3. I'm not looking for a flame war or detailed arguments about whether or not users should fully read instructions etc.

I'm just making an observation. Maybe S.T. should point out toward the very top of their guide that this isn't the typical update the end user might be expecting. It's not going to just update their Gingerbread firmware to ICS and leave all their data and apps intact.
        Hello!

Will keep that in mind. No matter what, it's ALWAYS good to BACK THINGS UP FIRST.

73 DE N4RPS
        Rob

Comment

Originally posted by shawnbusker View Post
          PLEASE NOTE: If you are upgrading the PMID701C tablet to Android 4.0, the TV-out option will no longer function as Android 4.0 does not support TV-out on our Tablets.

This. Why? Doesn't the 701i have tv-out? And to be honest. I'm going to check the files to see if they copied my work. I really don't think they did, but if they did I will know.

Shawn
          Yeah I know..that confuses me. ONE style of the earlier 701i indeed has a tv out. I'm only guessing here...but I guess they just cut corners. Since it's fairly obvious they decided to stop making the 701i with tv out they just used their rom for the 701i without TV out. They didn't want to bother writing in support for it in the firmware? So far nothing they have done has made sense to me

Comment

Originally posted by krazykat View Post
            Using there method, Test device, bought for and to play with rooting, I have found there firmware upgrade makes the 701c appear as an 701i. If you flash their upgrade with the known method...I'm not sure if their firmware causes format or live suite does, I closed out window that popped up and followed steps in video using their img. Where does the format really occur?
            It's not their firmware that formats. It's the process of flashing their firmware upgrade onto the tablet that does it. The livesuite instructions they walk the user through on their support site is what leads to the format upgrade mode. I know, I Know...people should already have backups of everything near and dear to them. People should read diligently and understand what they are doing before they decide to flash the rom...but we know in the real world they'll likely only follow along with the main flow of the instructions. If you are someone who's doing this for the first time you might not fully understand the process and HOW the firmware is being installed until it's done and over with. I realize livesuite warns you (or ATTEMPTS to warn you) about format upgrade mode a few times. However, the ridiculously broken Engrish warning messages from livesuite aren't exactly clear. It's a "just click next" or "just click OK" world out there

Like you I also noticed the 701C is listed as the 701i once you upgrade to ICS. I'm sure it's because they retrofitted the ICS firmware to run on the 701C. They likely forgot to change how the tablet is displayed in the "about tablet" information etc. Shawn's 701C ICS rom was the same way.

Comment

my 701i video out works...

One of the first things I did with the 701i with ICS was use the video out port. Worked fine, stock 701i, zero mods.

Comment

Originally posted by notpod View Post
                One of the first things I did with the 701i with ICS was use the video out port. Worked fine, stock 701i, zero mods.
                Hello!

Welcome back!

I may be flashing my 701c to ICS soon. WiFi connects are an issue when it goes into standby, but that added battery life is tempting. I appreciate the tip.

73 DE N4RPS
                Rob

Comment

Originally posted by notpod View Post
                  That's why it makes no sense for S.T. to claim if you upgrade to ICS on the 701C using their firmware the video out won't work anymore because "Android 4.0/ICS doesn't support it"

Comment

Yeah I know..that confuses me. ONE style of the earlier 701i indeed has a tv out. I'm only guessing here...but I guess they just cut corners. Since it's fairly obvious they decided to stop making the 701i with tv out they just used their rom for the 701i without TV out. They didn't want to bother writing in support for it in the firmware? So far nothing they have done has made sense to me
                    I think this explains it. I really don't know how accurate it still is though, but it sorta does explain the "Android 4.0/ICS doesn't support it" TV out statement.

The AACS Licensing Authority seems to think that you don't have enough DRM in your living room and seeks to eliminate analog decoders by 2014.

DRM licensing group plan to plug analog hole

By Adrian Kingsley-Hughes | June 12, 2009, 12:46pm PDT

The AACS Licensing Authority seems to think that you don’t have enough DRM in your living room and seeks to eliminate analog decoders by 2013.

The problem, as far as the AACS is concerned, is that Blu-ray players that can output an analog signal allows for that signal to be digitized again without all the inconvenience of all that DRM. The latest AACS Final Adopter Agreement (188 page PDF) calls for the phasing out of devices that can output an analog signal of AACS-protected content.

This phasing out of the analog hole will happen in two stages. First, all AACS licensees will be required to limit analog output to interlaced SD resolution (composite video, s-video, 480i component video and 576i video) on all devices manufactured after December 31, 2010. Then, after December 31, 2013, no device that is capable of decrypting AACS content can incorporate an analog output of any kind.
                    But there’s a problem here. The analog hole isn’t as important as the AACS Licensing Authority makes out. After all, why do I need to mess about with re-digitizing an analog signal from a Blu-ray player when I can just use an application like AnyDVD HD and just rip the Blu-ray disc directly. Perfect copy in HD with no tedious messing about with the analog hole.

One thing’s for sure, if you rely on that analog hole for whatever reason (I know people who use it to pipe output from Blu-ray players around the home), you better come up with a Plan B before 2014.

Comment

Note: Please make sure that you backup your files to a computer before you update your tablet's firmware. All content will be deleted. You can re-download your purchased and/or free apps from the Amazon Appstore once the firmware update is completed.

Seems pretty easy to understand.

I saw that no less than 6 times during the course of the process.

Comment

Originally posted by jimates View Post

Note: Please make sure that you backup your files to a computer before you update your tablet's firmware. All content will be deleted. You can re-download your purchased and/or free apps from the Amazon Appstore once the firmware update is completed.

Seems pretty easy to understand.

I saw that no less than 6 times during the course of the process.
                        LOL yeah you are absolutely right. It's all perfectly spelled out now. That's only because Southern Telecom has updated their entire support page since I started this thread last night. NONE of that was there. Glad to see someone finally wised up!

Comment

LOL yeah you are absolutely right. It's all perfectly spelled out now. That's only because Southern Telecom has updated their entire support page since I started this thread last night. NONE of that was there. Glad to see someone finally wised up!
                          LOL, That is exactly what I figured.

It seems they are hearing what is said.

**NOTE - Big Lots ad for Sunday says $89.99 for 7 inch tabs running 2.2 - 2.3

Comment

Yeah, maybe we can cheat and they'll let us get a extra 10 back for the 4.0 ones, though not sure I want to bother at this point as it was cheap enough as it is and I did trade 3 in to get one I was happy with

Comment

Originally posted by Dartman View Post
                              Yeah, maybe we can cheat and they'll let us get a extra 10 back for the 4.0 ones, though not sure I want to bother at this point as it was cheap enough as it is and I did trade 3 in to get one I was happy with
                              Sigh. This is exactly why it's getting harder and harder to actually return things people buy that they actually have problems with.

Go to Best Buy for instance. They now require a photo id for refunds,which they place into a "secure" database which they "promise" not to share with anyone.

Everyone understand what this means. You're only going to get 1-2 chances to return something. After that no matter what you claim, they are most likely going to refuse to give you either a refund or an exchange for *ANYTHING* you buy from them if it looks like it's some kind of pattern and that refusal is mostly likely going to follow you around no matter where you go to buy something like a bad credit history report.

Comment

Working...
                              X