This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rubberman36, View Post
    Hi so to make better use of storage would it be good to swap internal & ext SD cards or would link2sd & folder mount get OK results. Im a semi experience noon & I Dont wanna ISH up my kids tablets by doing something wrong here? So I was thinking 2nd option might be easier, what do u think & ty. :-) Ron.
    I've actually been looking into this. Almost all my other android devices have a different partition setup.

System, Data, Recovery, Boot, Cache. A few other small partitions no bigger than 18MB. This tablet however has a ton of NAND* partitions various sizes, one is 256MB and one is 839MB. None of the space is used on those partitions and I'm trying to figure out why they even exist. If it's safe to remove them I'm going to redo all the partitions to use the storage more efficiently. Maybe something like 500MB for System, 500MB for cache (maybe more), a small one for recovery and boot and the rest in Data...possibly. Again, I'm fairly new and this tablet so it's a little slow going.

Comment

Originally posted by guessyet View Post
      This ROM is the Google-Updated version of Android 4.2.2. This ROM *DOES* contain the Google services.

Included:
      Android 4.2.2
      Google Play, Calender, Maps, etc...
      ADB enabled
      Pre-Rooted
      ChainFire SuperSU v0.96 included
      TWRP Recovery (with touch screen)
      Performance Tweaks

Use PhoenixSuite to flash the image. After the initial re-start finishes launch SuperSU so it can start controlling apps that use su. You can get to TWRP recovery by going to Settings > Backup & reset > Recovery Mode. Confirm the reboot and the device will restart in Recovery Mode.

ADB is enabled by default, however, developer options are not. To enable developer options go Settings > About tablet > Build number (tap on this section several times to start countdown). Developer Options will appear above About tablet section.

Image Download - Google-Updated-AS8-Rooted-TWRP Recovery
      MediaFire is a simple to use free service that lets you put all your photos, documents, music, and video in a single place so you can access them anywhere and share them everywhere.

Enjoy..

Please give feedback...
      I'm curious guess, what kitchen did you use for this? Or did you use something else? I would like to work on a custom ROM myself but I want to make sure that I would use a similar kitchen. The only kitchen I have is Android Kitchen 224 and was last updated 7 months ago.

Comment

Originally posted by Deadphyre View Post
        There are a few things, did you install PhoenixSuit and allow the drivers to get installed while doing it? I've found thats the best. Just make sure you have USB debugging on and stay alive is checked. Is your tablet already rooted? If not you'll need to root it first. There should be a thread here that describes how to do that as well.

So I guess we would need to know a few things before we can help.
        1. Is the tablet a Polaroid A/S8?
        2. Did you do an update through the tablet when you first got it?
        3. Did you root it?
        4. Are all the settings set to what they need to be, aka USB debugging and stay alive.

Do we have to root the tablet before we can run guessyets update in the first post?

EDIT: don't need root, followed your directions and it worked fine...
        Last edited by jsta6; 12-31-2013, 20:43. Reason: updated
        Polaroid S8
        Blackberry Torch
        Kindle Fire HD Gen 2 - Wifes
        Nokia 520 Windows 8 - Wifes
        (3) Nextbook 7s - Slooooooow - (Finless Bob ROM) - used for kids e-readers
        (2) Samsung Exhibits - kids
        Samsung Blaze, Kindle Fire, (2) PMID701c (Elektrik ROM) - all RIP
        ...some laptops, some PC's and some routers / switches

Comment

the above image is correct.. pheonix suite install the usb device driver as seen.. this driver is only used when the AS8 is in flash mode.. in order to get into flash mode you will need to power down the AS8 and unplug the usb able from it.. then you will press and hold the volume down button.. while holding the volume down button you will need to insert the usb cable back into the device.. the device will then enter flash mode.. phoenix should see it then..

ensure that you have the correct img selected in phoenix before you put the device into flash mode.. because when you enter flash mode phoenix will automatically start the flashing process..

the factory image that came on my AS8 (did not have google) was an eng rom.. the google update rom changes it to a user rom..
          The instructions from Southern Telecom say to start Phoenix Suit, power on the tablet, and then connect the tablet to the PC?

Can you please clarify?

EDIT: followed your directions and it worked fine...
          Last edited by jsta6; 12-31-2013, 20:44. Reason: updated
          Polaroid S8
          Blackberry Torch
          Kindle Fire HD Gen 2 - Wifes
          Nokia 520 Windows 8 - Wifes
          (3) Nextbook 7s - Slooooooow - (Finless Bob ROM) - used for kids e-readers
          (2) Samsung Exhibits - kids
          Samsung Blaze, Kindle Fire, (2) PMID701c (Elektrik ROM) - all RIP
          ...some laptops, some PC's and some routers / switches

Comment

Would love to see a A/S10 version of this ROM. Also wonder how 4.4 would work on this one? How much different is the A/S8 vs. the A/S10?

Comment

Stickied this thread.
              https://public.bay.livefilestore.com...ion.png?psid=1

Comment

Hi, guessyet. I am new to this forum, but I have been reading it. Does ROM include changing the processor clock to 1.15 GHz? I am going to try the ROM some time soon. Thanks!

This ROM is the Google-Updated version of Android 4.2.2. This ROM *DOES* contain the Google services.

Included:
                Android 4.2.2
                ADB enabled
                Pre-Rooted
                Performance Tweaks

Use PhoenixSuite to flash the image. After the initial re-start finishes launch SuperSU so it can start controlling apps that use su. You can get to TWRP recovery by going to Settings > Backup & reset > Recovery Mode. Confirm the reboot and the device will restart in Recovery Mode.

ADB is enabled by default, however, developer options are not. To enable developer options go Settings > About tablet > Build number (tap on this section several times to start countdown). Developer Options will appear above About tablet section.

MediaFire is a simple to use free service that lets you put all your photos, documents, music, and video in a single place so you can access them anywhere and share them everywhere.

Enjoy..

Please give feedback...

Comment

Originally posted by Deadphyre View Post
                  I'm curious guess, what kitchen did you use for this? Or did you use something else? I would like to work on a custom ROM myself but I want to make sure that I would use a similar kitchen. The only kitchen I have is Android Kitchen 224 and was last updated 7 months ago.
                  I didnt use kitchen... i am doing everything manually.. i initially tried kitchen however the output didnt work on these devices..

Comment

i have both s8 & s10

Originally posted by jimn2tdi View Post
                    Would love to see a A/S10 version of this ROM. Also wonder how 4.4 would work a20 this one? How much different is the A/S8 vs. the A/S10?
                    Hey so I have both polaroid s8 & s10, I can say this they both have same 1.6 GHz dual core allwinner a20 processor chip & in fact they both rooted super easy by just flashing a simple zip file from stock recovery. I do believe most other specs r same as well except for screen resolution, etc. Ty Ron.

Comment

Re: ** ROM ** Polaroid AS8 ** ROOTED + TWRP**

Hello! I have the A/8 running this Rom and was curious to know if it's possible to run navigation (maps) ? I read if on network 3/4g only or if Iam using my phones hotspot.. I have been searching and editing for quite some time and this is the best I can come up with. GPS works just fine in Google Maps, but can never find gps when trying to navigate to a destination.

Thanks

Thanks

XT912 RaZR SpYdEr CDMA
                      hit ThAnKs if I was helpful!!!

Edit: Well, I found Google Maps 7.5.0 for tab/phone, uninstalled old Maps with titanium backup and installed new version and Navigation magically works!! I don't get why Play store is saying "up to date" then.
                      Last edited by 1droidmod; 01-05-2014, 05:48.

Comment

need help rooting polaroid s/8 tablet

Included:
                        Android 4.2.2
                        ADB enabled
                        Pre-Rooted
                        Performance Tweaks

Enjoy..

Please give feedback...
                        OK I need sum help I just DL the zip file for the one containing Google services but when it finished it said .exe not .zip is that correct plz email me the correct one if that isn't the correct file I need the zip file for Polaroid S/8 tablet the one with Google services plus root'twrp plz help email is [email protected] or you can text me or anyone than can walk me thru this to get this tablet rooted and custom recovery the twrp recovery I'm not a noobie but this tablet is a bit tricky olz text me I really need help 256 417 5381

Comment

ill help ya bud

Originally posted by Droider82 View Post
                          OK I need sum help I just DL the zip file for the one containing Google services but when it finished it said .exe not .zip is that correct plz email me the correct one if that isn't the correct file I need the zip file for Polaroid S/8 tablet the one with Google services plus root'twrp plz help email is [email protected] or you can text me or anyone than can walk me thru this to get this tablet rooted and custom recovery the twrp recovery I'm not a noobie but this tablet is a bit tricky olz text me I really need help 256 417 5381
                          I've done this to 3 tablets already & I can walk u thru process.

Comment

Included:
                            Android 4.2.2
                            ADB enabled
                            Pre-Rooted
                            Performance Tweaks

Enjoy..

Please give feedback...
                            OK if you could walk me thru the steps that would be great it all be tomorrow before I can around a computer so if you could text me or call that would make things a lot easier I'm really ready to get this tablet rooted and have custom recovery. Plz help me and thanks for replying email [email protected] but us talking directly would make things simpler so that I get every step correct 256 417 5381. Thanks again or help would be greatly appreciated but I'm not noobie as I said I've rooted several devices but this tablet is a tough one lol hope to hear from you tomorrow around noon and we can get started glad I finally found sum one who has finally cracked this tablet by the way I'm Richard

Comment

OK if you could walk me thru the steps that would be great it all be tomorrow before I can around a computer so if you could text me or call that would make things a lot easier I'm really ready to get this tablet rooted and have custom recovery. Plz help me and thanks for replying email [email protected] but us talking directly would make things simpler so that I get every step correct 555-555-5555. Thanks again or help would be greatly appreciated but I'm not noobie as I said I've rooted several devices but this tablet is a tough one lol hope to hear from you tomorrow around noon and we can get started glad I finally found sum one who has finally cracked this tablet by the way I'm Richard

Hey Richard.. Kindly allow me to suggestion not posting personal information in online forums. Doing so could lead to future headaches from spam and marketing calls.. It is also against the TOS of most sites..

In regards to your question - The process of flashing these devices are pretty simple.. Please make sure the tablet is NOT connected to the computer AND that you have backed everything up to an EXTSD card or your computer.. You will need a program called Phoenix Suite and a way to unzip the download. If you do not have Phoenix Suite - I have a version shared on Mediafire.

link to phoenix suite 1.0.6 - Chinese installer

The installer is in Chinese but you will only need to click the button on the bottom right side of the window.. After a few clicks the installer will start the installation and ask if you want to install the allwinner device drivers.. You will need to install these drivers in order for the program to communicate with the tablet.. When the installation has finished you can launch Phoenix Suite.. The Phoenix Suite program itself is English.. So dont worry about the installer being in Chinese.. If you have a firewall on your computer please allow Phoenix Suite the ability to check for updates.. There is and update availible which is v1.0.8.

The rom is an .img file.. In order to conserve bandwidth and space I compressed the image file.. You will need a program to uncompress the image.. I personally use 7zip.. However, there are many programs availible for you to use.. Unzip the downloaded file and you will see a file named GU-AS8-SU-TWRP-Modded.img in the extraction location..

Now that you have the firmware image unzipped you will need to point Phoenix Suite to the extraction location.. This is done by having Phoenix Suite open and clicking on the "firmware" button at the top.. It is the button that has an anchor on it.. In the middle of the firmware screen you will see a blue button labeled "image".. Click "image" and navigate to the extraction location.. Select the GU-AS8-SU-TWRP-Modded.img file..

Now that you are in the Firmware screen with the location to the GU-AS8-SU-TWRP.img in the box, you will need to shutdown the tablet.. You can do this by pressing and holding the power button for 10 seconds..

At this point, you will need to press and hold the volume-down button.. This button is the one nearest to the power button.. While holding the volume-down button press the power button.. The device will turn on, however, the display will still be off.. **You will not see anything on the screen during flashing process**.. Now you will need to plug the device into the computer.. You should see the "adding new hardware" notification on your computer.. After the driver installation has finished - Phoenix Suite should show a message about doing a Mandatory Format.. Please click YES to proceed with a clean firmware installation..

The flashing process will take a few minutes to complete.. Once completed Phoenix Suite will display a completed confirmation message.. You can click OK and exit Phoenix Suite..

Your device may or may not auto boot after this process.. If the device does not auto boot just press the power button to turn it on.. As stated in the initial post - when the device has completed the boot process you will need to launch SuperSU.. SuperSU is in the APPS screen.. After launching SuperSU a message will appear asking to update binary files.. Press the OK button and when it is finished you can close the app..

At this point you are finished.. You can enter recovery from Backup & Reset menu in settings.. Enjoy your rooted A/S8 with TWRP recovery..

BTW, I will be uploading new updates in a few days if you want to wait until I am finished..

Comment

OK if you could walk me thru the steps that would be great it all be tomorrow before I can around a computer so if you could text me or call that would make things a lot easier I'm really ready to get this tablet rooted and have custom recovery. Plz help me and thanks for replying email [email protected] but us talking directly would make things simpler so that I get every step correct 256 417 5381. Thanks again or help would be greatly appreciated but I'm not noobie as I said I've rooted several devices but this tablet is a tough one lol hope to hear from you tomorrow around noon and we can get started glad I finally found sum one who has finally cracked this tablet by the way I'm Richard
                                OK thanks I'll just wait could you email me the update your going to have thanks

Comment

Working...
                                X