This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rubberman36, View Post
    I've done this to 3 tablets already & I can walk u thru process.
    I need the image file for the modded IMG file it wasn't in the message you sent me jus the phoniex installer plz send the nodded IMG file

Comment

Richard

Originally posted by Droider82 View Post
      OK if you could walk me thru the steps that would be great it all be tomorrow before I can around a computer so if you could text me or call that would make things a lot easier I'm really ready to get this tablet rooted and have custom recovery. Plz help me and thanks for replying email [email protected] but us talking directly would make things simpler so that I get every step correct 256 417 5381. Thanks again or help would be greatly appreciated but I'm not noobie as I said I've rooted several devices but this tablet is a tough one lol hope to hear from you tomorrow around noon and we can get started glad I finally found sum one who has finally cracked this tablet by the way I'm Richard
      Want to give you a huge THANKS. MY TABLET IS FULLY ROOTED WITH CUSTOM RECOVERY. SO MY ? Now is there a custom Roms for this tablet yet I want one that has the full PULLDOWN LIKE THE ANDROID PHONES HAVE LIKE A SMOKE COLORED ONE THATS TRANSPARENT

Comment

Richard

Originally posted by rubberman36, View Post
        I've done this to 3 tablets already & I can walk u thru process.
        WANTED TO GIVE YOU A HUGE THANKS BRO IM FULLY ROOTED WITH CUSTOM RECOVERY ,MY? NOW IS THERE ANY CUSTOM ROMS OUT FOR THIS TABLET I WANT ONE THAT HAS THE FULL SCREEN PULLDOWN LIKE A SMOKED COLORED ONE THATS TRANSPARENT LIKE THE PULLDOWN ON THE PHONES I FREAKIN HATE THE PULLDOWN ON HERE NOW IT SUCKS I LOVE THE FULL SCREEN PULLDOWNS DO YOU HAPPEN TO KNOW THE NAME OF THE PROGRAM YOU PUT ON THE COMPUTER WERE YOU CAN MAKE CUSTOM STUFF OR EDIT PICS ETC I USE TO HAVE IT FEW YEARS BACK BUT I CANT REMEMBER THE NAME OF IT

Comment

No custom ROMs yet. Also, no need to cap locks us to death lol. One will eventually come but its slow going.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Comment

Droider82

Originally posted by guessyet View Post
            Hey Richard.. Kindly allow me to suggestion not posting personal information in online forums. Doing so could lead to future headaches from spam and marketing calls.. It is also against the TOS of most sites..

In regards to your question - The process of flashing these devices are pretty simple.. Please make sure the tablet is NOT connected to the computer AND that you have backed everything up to an EXTSD card or your computer.. You will need a program called Phoenix Suite and a way to unzip the download. If you do not have Phoenix Suite - I have a version shared on Mediafire.

link to phoenix suite 1.0.6 - Chinese installer
            MediaFire is a simple to use free service that lets you put all your photos, documents, music, and video in a single place so you can access them anywhere and share them everywhere.

The installer is in Chinese but you will only need to click the button on the bottom right side of the window.. After a few clicks the installer will start the installation and ask if you want to install the allwinner device drivers.. You will need to install these drivers in order for the program to communicate with the tablet.. When the installation has finished you can launch Phoenix Suite.. The Phoenix Suite program itself is English.. So dont worry about the installer being in Chinese.. If you have a firewall on your computer please allow Phoenix Suite the ability to check for updates.. There is and update availible which is v1.0.8.

The rom is an .img file.. In order to conserve bandwidth and space I compressed the image file.. You will need a program to uncompress the image.. I personally use 7zip.. However, there are many programs availible for you to use.. Unzip the downloaded file and you will see a file named GU-AS8-SU-TWRP-Modded.img in the extraction location..

Now that you have the firmware image unzipped you will need to point Phoenix Suite to the extraction location.. This is done by having Phoenix Suite open and clicking on the "firmware" button at the top.. It is the button that has an anchor on it.. In the middle of the firmware screen you will see a blue button labeled "image".. Click "image" and navigate to the extraction location.. Select the GU-AS8-SU-TWRP-Modded.img file..

Now that you are in the Firmware screen with the location to the GU-AS8-SU-TWRP.img in the box, you will need to shutdown the tablet.. You can do this by pressing and holding the power button for 10 seconds..

At this point, you will need to press and hold the volume-down button.. This button is the one nearest to the power button.. While holding the volume-down button press the power button.. The device will turn on, however, the display will still be off.. **You will not see anything on the screen during flashing process**.. Now you will need to plug the device into the computer.. You should see the "adding new hardware" notification on your computer.. After the driver installation has finished - Phoenix Suite should show a message about doing a Mandatory Format.. Please click YES to proceed with a clean firmware installation..

The flashing process will take a few minutes to complete.. Once completed Phoenix Suite will display a completed confirmation message.. You can click OK and exit Phoenix Suite..

Your device may or may not auto boot after this process.. If the device does not auto boot just press the power button to turn it on.. As stated in the initial post - when the device has completed the boot process you will need to launch SuperSU.. SuperSU is in the APPS screen.. After launching SuperSU a message will appear asking to update binary files.. Press the OK button and when it is finished you can close the app..

At this point you are finished.. You can enter recovery from Backup & Reset menu in settings.. Enjoy your rooted A/S8 with TWRP recovery..

BTW, I will be uploading new updates in a few days if you want to wait until I a fini shed..
            hey guess yet why can't vyI get to twrp ryourecovery thru vol up and power let me knw wat I need to dao I followed your info and I'm rooted I can get to thru the settings then recovery but cant :when I power off power plus vol up
            ?wer

Comment

hey guess yet why can't vyI get to twrp ryourecovery thru vol up and power let me knw wat I need to dao I followed your info and I'm rooted I can get to thru the settings then recovery but cant :when I power off power plus vol up
              ?wer
              Please email me [email protected]

Comment

Please email me [email protected]

Presently, the only way to get into recovery is from the system being booted... we are working on ways around this.. there is no timeline for this to be implemented.. more than likely, if it is acheived, it will just pop up in a rom some time...

thanks...

BTW.. checkout my latest upload if you have an external sdcard for your device..

Comment

Droider82

Presently, the only way to get into recovery is from the system being booted... we are working on ways around this.. there is no timeline for this to be implemented.. more than likely, if it is acheived, it will just pop up in a rom some time...

thanks...

BTW.. checkout my latest upload if you have an external sdcard for your device..
                  OK well can you keep me posted on the ROM or fix for recovery and can you send me your new upload and instructions on how to flash it

Comment

OK well can you keep me posted on the ROM or fix for recovery and can you send me your new upload and instructions on how to flash it

The new rom is in this thread..

only use this rom if you have a dedicated external sdcard to use for the device.. the device will use this card as non-removable.. it can be removed if the device is off.. but please put it back in when you turn the device on..

The flashing in structions are identical to the previous flash.. except that the existing extsd card will not be formatted... but the real internal sd will be formated.. I advise to move everything currently on your existing EXTSD card to one directory so you will have a clean root when the device finishes booting for the first time..

Other than that.. Please remember these roms are for test purpose only... and i make no guarantees to there ability to function or do thing properly.. before-during-after the flash..

Comment

Droider82

The new rom is in this thread..

only use this rom if you have a dedicated external sdcard to use for the device.. the device will use this card as non-removable.. it can be removed if the device is off.. but please put it back in when you turn the device on..

The flashing in structions are identical to the previous flash.. except that the existing extsd card will not be formatted... but the real internal sd will be formated.. I advise to move everything currently on your existing EXTSD card to one directory so you will have a clean root when the device finishes booting for the first time..

Other than that.. Please remember these roms are for test purpose only... and i make no guarantees to there ability to function or do thing properly.. before-during-after the flash..
                      hey guess yet after I did our update sum of my apps are say that the app isn't compatible with this device and did before any idea how to fix this so they are

Comment

hey guess yet after I did our update sum of my apps are say that the app isn't compatible with this device and did before any idea how to fix this so they are
                        which rom was on the device before you updated to this update? Also, have you added any tweak tools that would have changed the build.prop?

Comment

Droider82

which rom was on the device before you updated to this update? Also, have you added any tweak tools that would have changed the build.prop?
                          I was on the stock ROM before I did the first update u walked me thru and no tweaks have not modied either the app jus says not compatible with this device and it was before idk wat the deal is

Comment

I was on the stock ROM before I did the first update u walked me thru and no tweaks have not modied either the app jus says not compatible with this device and it was before idk wat the deal is
                            use the zip below.. unzip.. make sure your tablet is connected to the computer..
                            and use the DOUBLECLICK-ME.bat
                            Attached Files

Comment

Works better, thanks.

I didn't notice much of a performance difference on my S8 loaded with the Google image, but just went back to the pre-Google one...much snappier for me. Looking forward to modifications to reclaim some of those mystery partitions. Most apps I use are available in the Amazon App Store, with a couple exceptions.

The pre-Google image plays soundcloud.com audio, the southerntelecom and google ROM does not. Another problem I have with using the pre-Google image is that one of my apps is looking for Google Play Services. I installed the APK for Google Play Services but that didn't help the app. However I don't want to go back to the full on google ROM either. Is there an easy way to get the services 'on and detectable' by apps that need it, without the full on install with all the other google apps I don't use?

EDIT:
                              I tried the 'switch Extsd/Sdcard' Google ROM but it's just too slow for me.
                              I went back to the pre-Google ROM, and followed directions at (#30) to switch ExtSD and SDcard so I could use bigger apps.

For the problem Amazon Appstore app that complained about Google Play services, I sideloaded the Google Play Services and Google Play Store APK's and now everything is working....love it! Everything is usable, I just stick to what is in the Amazon app store. The performance difference is worth it!
                              Last edited by mntableter; 02-03-2014, 17:11.

Comment

just a quick update...I have an S8 that had the google ROM...I upgraded to the first guessyet ROM and had no problems. I loaded "GO launcher" and "applock" and the tab was a real dog...I uninstalled those two apps and I am once again running smooth and not too sluggish...

Sent from my A/S8 using Tapatalk
                                Polaroid S8
                                Blackberry Torch
                                Kindle Fire HD Gen 2 - Wifes
                                Nokia 520 Windows 8 - Wifes
                                (3) Nextbook 7s - Slooooooow - (Finless Bob ROM) - used for kids e-readers
                                (2) Samsung Exhibits - kids
                                Samsung Blaze, Kindle Fire, (2) PMID701c (Elektrik ROM) - all RIP
                                ...some laptops, some PC's and some routers / switches

Comment

Working...
                                X