Ramos i9s Pro

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by weldonpvg

Thanks for the information. Actually I found a custom ROM from a Chinese website, with many nice improvements over the stock ROM. But fatally it conflicts with Google services, at least with my a few trials. The lucky thing is this ROM includes the contacts app and database the stock ROM missed. So I copied a few files from this ROM and transferred them into the stock ROM using the same method. Now everything works.
    If you need these files, let me know.
    Good find! Yes for completeness it would be good to have those files if you can post the link.

Sent from my Ramos i9s pro using Tapatalk

Comment

@weldonpvg
      Thanks for the tip. I found the custom Chinese ROM here: http://bbs.lewaos.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=269037&highlight=i9s% 2BPro
      (I assume it's the same one you found).
      Like you I've copied the working Contacts files into /system/priv-app and now I have the "people" app that was missing from the stock rom and it has got rid of the sync error on my google account.
      ​Also after adding myself as a contact with a profile pic, now when I pull down the quick settings menu my photo appears instead of a blank face. Really nice to have all this working properly :-)
      I've attached the working Contacts files, all credit to the Lewa OS Chinese forum:

Attached Files

Comment

Something else you should do when copying files to system directories as above is check the permissions are set correctly, remove executable rights and leave rw for root and read only for others.
        You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Originally posted by Billcnz View Post
          Nice to see someone with the same device

It was a trial and error with mine so not well documented but my basic step were:

install adb drivers and rooted tablet. I used Vroot which installed a different SuperUser that had an icon of a horse with a crown. Once rooted I replaced this with SuperSu from store that I was more familiar with.
          I then installed Titanium Backup Pro and backed up everything including System Apps. I also installed ES File Explorer for root explorer functions.
          I then used Titanium to uninstall system apps starting with "Google":
          Google Play Services
          Google Services Framework
          Google Play Store
          Google Account Manager
          Google Calendar Sync

I then downloaded PA Modular Micro Gapps 4.4.4 from here: http://mirror41.downloadandroidrom.c...oken=314788391

I extracted the zip and copied the system folder to the tablet, then I opened ES File Explorer and turned on Root Explorer and mounted /system rw. Then using ES File explorer I copied each of the sub directories from the PA Gapps system folder into the devices /system.

I then booted into recovery and cleared the cache and did a factory reset

I then rebooted the tablet and let it upgrade the android files and set up my google account when the wizard opened. I had a bit of trouble here with the android AOSP keyboard crashing so had to plug a real keyboard in to complete the signin. Once the account setup was successful I installed Google Keyboard from playstore and disabled AOSP one. I haven't switched back to check if AOSP keyboard has stopped crashing but the google one works fine.

The above procedure was probably quite risky without a nandroid backup but I had downloaded the stock ROM so felt I could re-flash if needed.

You sir are a true gent!

PM me a PayPal account or nominate a charity and I'll send beer money!

Comment

Originally posted by CircuitMonkey

You sir are a true gent!

PM me a PayPal account or nominate a charity and I'll send beer money!
            Thanks! If someone finds it useful it's reward enough. None of my work really just lots of googling.

Comment

Hello guys,

I have reveiced the I9S pro as a gift and it seemed to be a nice device.
              After successfully rooted Android (Vroot last version/lots of crapwares), i've decided to clean a bit, deleting some programs!
              I have used Titanium backup to remove program with chinese characters. after this brillant idea i've rebooted
              The device has lost dual boot, and directly boots to win 81: and for some reasons Touchscreen, bluetooth and other stuff are not working anymore. i have been able to check in the device manager using usb mouse and keyboard: lots of devices have yellow signs.
              i have unsuccessfull tried a windows factory reset: touchscreen and other peripherals are still not working.

I didnt find how to reinstall the program managing the Dual boot for this tablet. i had the idea that it would let me acces to android again.
              I dont understand how uninstalling programs in Android has affected drivers in windows 8.1, unless they are shared for both systems.

From that point i was thinking to do a complete reinstallation of the tablet (windows and android) but i havent been able to find any tutorial on that : i have successfully downloads all the files from ramos (http://www.ramos.com.cn/Download/Details/75).
              i have used Ggl translation but the process is far from being clear to me.
              I have tried to sort out what was on those archives but its messy and there is no documentation in english.

I have installed Android and intel usb drivers (win 8.1 64 pc): i have tried to execute the "flash_device.bat" (tablet plugged in Dnx mode) : nothing happens. i have try to pass some fastboot command but it looks like there is no connection.
              (tablet showing up in Device Manager as Android Device / ROMaster ADB interface).
              I have also tried to used MFT, but seems that the device isnt showning in the devices list.
              From that point i have even tried to do a fresh install of WIN8.1 with Bing from a usb hub. i can reach the language selection page, but then USB keyboard and mouse are no more working!

I'am used to flash costum roms for my GS4, or build complex multiboots on PCs but this Tablet is giving me a hard time.

Lack of documentation in english is obvious and the community for the I9Spro seems tiny!
              Since you guys are I9Spro masters, i wonder if you could give me a hand to restore it.
              Iam pretty sure that if that kind of guide was posted in english, it would be usefull to lots of folks!

Thanks a lot in advance for any advice you could share

Comment

AngyParis
                I don't have any real answers to your problem at this point but it may be a good idea to check the Tablets BIOS settings if you haven't already.
                You can get to this from Windows settings:
                Change PC Settings
                Update & Recovery
                Recovery
                Restart Now
                TroubleShoot
                Advanced Options
                UEFI Firmaware Settings
                Restart

It will then restart to the BIOS. In the boot settings FastBoot should be disabled (for a dual boot system) and in Boot Priority UEFI OS should come before Windows. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0478.JPG
Views:	199
Size:	85.0 KB
ID:	496921
                Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0479.JPG
Views:	136
Size:	85.5 KB
ID:	496922

You're definitely going to need to get the adb connection working properly in order to reflash Android. Were these working before on your Win 8 PC?

I found a quicker way to enter the BIOS:
                From Power Off press the middle of the Volume button (so both up/down together) and press and hold power and it will go straight to BIOS.

In the BIOS Save & Exit screen you should be able to highlight UEFI OS under Boot Override to take you to the dual OS loader.
                Last edited by Billcnz; 04-29-2015, 08:37. Reason: Update

Comment

Originally posted by Billcnz View Post
                  AngyParis
                  I don't have any real answers to your problem at this point but it may be a good idea to check the Tablets BIOS settings if you haven't already.
                  You can get to this from Windows settings:
                  Change PC Settings
                  Update & Recovery
                  Recovery
                  Restart Now
                  TroubleShoot
                  Advanced Options
                  UEFI Firmaware Settings
                  Restart

It will then restart to the BIOS. In the boot settings FastBoot should be disabled (for a dual boot system) and in Boot Priority UEFI OS should come before Windows. [ATTACH]n496921[/ATTACH]
                  [ATTACH]n496922[/ATTACH]

You're definitely going to need to get the adb connection working properly in order to reflash Android. Were these working before on your Win 8 PC?

I found a quicker way to enter the BIOS:
                  From Power Off press the middle of the Volume button (so both up/down together) and press and hold power and it will go straight to BIOS.

In the BIOS Save & Exit screen you should be able to highlight UEFI OS under Boot Override to take you to the dual OS loader.
                  Thanks Bill.

I have been checking Bios entries one by one once i had my dual boot problem: (you can also acces "Setup" by pressing "Escape" at startup).
                  I can confirm that Fastboot is disabled and UEFI OS is the first boot .
                  If i do a boot overide to UEFI OS, it is going back to "bios setup": Obviously the dual boot selector has been removed.

I have a few pc's running Win 8.1 64, and ADB is working (at least with my galaxy S2/S4). also the I9S pro is present in the device manager when plugged in DnX. mode. i have also tried with a Google Android ADB drivers found in XDa (as a replacement of the Intel Android usb drivers). no success : tablet stays in " waitting for fastboot command" when i launch "flash_device.bat"

Anyway, i dont even know What files i should flash at this point.
                  Last edited by AngyParis; 04-29-2015, 12:54.

Comment

Litle update : after loading Bios default and restart: touch screen (and other devices) is working under windows 8.1!
                    I still need to find the way to restore dual boot program to acces Android. i have no clue yet on how to reinstall this!

Comment

Originally posted by AngyParis
                      Litle update : after loading Bios default and restart: touch screen (and other devices) is working under windows 8.1!
                      I still need to find the way to restore dual boot program to acces Android. i have no clue yet on how to reinstall this!
                      That's good progress, at least you know the hardware is OK.

You may have lost the UEFI key for the boot partition so you may be able to do something with the UEFI shell option but I haven't used that so can't be of much help, unless you want me to check something on my working system.

I did get a list of the partition names in case that helps:
                      --------------------------
                      Internal Storage (MMC)
                      --------------------------
                      * ESP [mmcblk0p1] Not mounted
                      * reserved [mmcblk0p2] Not mounted
                      * boot [mmcblk0p3] Not mounted
                      * recovery [mmcblk0p4] Not mounted
                      * fastboot [mmcblk0p5] Not mounted
                      * reserved_1 [mmcblk0p6] Not mounted
                      * test [mmcblk0p7] Not mounted
                      * panic [mmcblk0p8] Not mounted
                      * factory [mmcblk0p9] (/factory) [ext4]
                      Used: 4.6 MB, Free: 11.4 MB, Total space: 16 MB
                      * misc [mmcblk0p10] Not mounted
                      * config [mmcblk0p11] (/config) [ext4]
                      Used: 4.6 MB, Free: 11.4 MB, Total space: 16 MB
                      * Cache [mmcblk0p12] (/cache) [ext4]
                      Used: 49.4 MB, Free: 974 MB, Total space: 1 GB
                      * logs [mmcblk0p13] (/logs) [ext4]
                      Used: 113 MB, Free: 142 MB, Total space: 256 MB
                      * System [mmcblk0p14] (/system) [ext4]
                      Used: 769 MB, Free: 254 MB, Total space: 1 GB
                      * Data [mmcblk0p15] (/data) [ext4]
                      Used: 5.9 GB, Free: 18.1 GB, Total space: 24 GB
                      * guest-firmware [mmcblk0p16] Not mounted
                      * EFI_system_partition [mmcblk0p17] Not mounted
                      * Microsoft_reserved_partition [mmcblk0p18] Not mounted
                      * Basic_data_partition [mmcblk0p19] Not mounted
                      * Basic data partition [mmcblk0p20] Not mounted

Comment

This post on the Chinese forum may have some helpful info if you can follow the Google translation:

Comment

Hello there.

I don't know if this is the right thread to post in or if I should start a new one (I only just signed up), but since this thread seems specifically for the Ramos i9s Pro, I figured my question might be valid here. The only difference is that I want to remove Android from my tablet entirely and just keep Windows, as well as get rid of the dual boot menu. I finally got a response from Ramos and they linked me to the Ramos i9s Windows and BIOS files which I expect they want me to install, so the only thing "pro" about it is the dual boot thing (and that it has 64GB and the i9s only comes in 32GB, but there is a nice black/red version too), but of course not only are they in Chinese, but the cloud service they are stored on need registration which I can't do as I'm based in the UK.

I hoped to be able to reinstall an English copy of Windows, but I know it's not as simple as that because of all the other drivers necessary that might not be easy to locate outside of Ramos' file downloads. Does anyone with more experience with the tablet have any advice for me? I'm new to Windows 8 (as well as this being my first tablet), but if most of the locations of files and executables are similar to Windows 7, I should be OK to follow any directions. Would appreciate any help offered.

Comment

Originally posted by SyreetaW
                            Hello there.

I don't know if this is the right thread to post in or if I should start a new one (I only just signed up), but since this thread seems specifically for the Ramos i9s Pro, I figured my question might be valid here. The only difference is that I want to remove Android from my tablet entirely and just keep Windows, as well as get rid of the dual boot menu. I finally got a response from Ramos and they linked me to the Ramos i9s Windows and BIOS files which I expect they want me to install, so the only thing "pro" about it is the dual boot thing (and that it has 64GB and the i9s only comes in 32GB, but there is a nice black/red version too), but of course not only are they in Chinese, but the cloud service they are stored on need registration which I can't do as I'm based in the UK.

I hoped to be able to reinstall an English copy of Windows, but I know it's not as simple as that because of all the other drivers necessary that might not be easy to locate outside of Ramos' file downloads. Does anyone with more experience with the tablet have any advice for me? I'm new to Windows 8 (as well as this being my first tablet), but if most of the locations of files and executables are similar to Windows 7, I should be OK to follow any directions. Would appreciate any help offered.
                            There is a login on the official page but I think that's optional, I just clicked the download for the android files and they downloaded. I didn't try the Windows files as I didn't need them since my Windows is running fine and it's a rather large download at around 5Gb.

I think the problem you will find is the internal storage will need to be repartitioned as Windows can't read ext4 so the android space will be wasted.
                            I did see a thread on the Chinese forum that has a tool for changing the partition table to make android smaller. You had to backup a small partition that has the Windows key first and you still need to download all the firmware files. Let me know if you want me to find the link.

Personally, although I'm reasonably impressed with Windows 8.1 on this tablet, I still find that Android has more finger friendly apps and better power management for long battery life so I'm using the android on it more than Windows.

Comment

Hi Billcnz.

Ramos sent me a link directly to a site with cloud storage and it had files for the i9s from there. I saw the ones on their website too and I wasn't sure if they were the right ones as there's only one for i9s Pro and it was just a firmware update. I'm wondering if I can use the windows i9s downloads that are there, but after translating the most recent one, it mentioned "The original win8 system can not be restored to brush this firmware". I'm guessing you can't use it to restore to factory settings, like when it was first used? The link Ramos gave me is here, but since I can't sign up to download the files, it's useless to me (I've emailed them about it, but it took them close to a week to reply the first time round):

I wanted to use the i9s pro as a small drawing tablet and pair it with an active capacitive stylus. I know I could've bought one with a Wacom digitiser built in, but the i9s Pro is to me good value at the price I paid for it and I think the build quality is better than most tablets I've seen (even though it is a little heavy because of the glass). And I'm a sucker for white and blue as well. :P I just can't use Android on a tablet, to me it feels better on a smartphone, plus the programs I want to use are Windows based anyway. Since it was pre-activated for me I also want to reinstall Windows just so I can have all folders with my user name. I have retrieved the product key used on my tablet, so it's a matter of if I can wipe the entire EMMC storage then use it to install it on a single partition which I expect the Windows version of the i9s is like.

Do you think that's possible? I don't have any valuable data on it as I want to set it up the way I want and preferably before Windows 10 comes along...

Comment

Yes, although this link says it's an update, when you click on the update it takes you to another page with the full firmware in 5 separate files
                                It should be possible to do what but I can't really help with the details as still learning about this tablet myself.
                                You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Working...
                                X