Dual Boot Tablet Suggestions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dual Boot Tablet Suggestions?

I am looking for a tablet that runs both Windows and Android. But I noticed that a lot of the dual boot tablets out there run old versions of Android (such as KitKat and Lollipop).

Any suggestion for an inexpensive, decently running dual boot Laptop that runs Windows and at least Marshmallow or Nougat?

They are quite thin on the ground right now, although if you want to get your hands dirty so to speak, there are X86 versions of 6 and 7 that could probably be ported.

There is a project dedicated to bringing more Android to the X86 platform.

http://www.android-x86.org/

Other than understandably wanting the latest versions, are there any reasons why Lollipop would not suit your needs usage wise?
    R-TV BOX S10, Beebox N3150, Chuwi Hibox, Nvidia Shield, A95X Max

Comment

Originally posted by bluesmanuk View Post
      They are quite thin on the ground right now, although if you want to get your hands dirty so to speak, there are X86 versions of 6 and 7 that could probably be ported.

There is a project dedicated to bringing more Android to the X86 platform.

http://www.android-x86.org/

Other than understandably wanting the latest versions, are there any reasons why Lollipop would not suit your needs usage wise?
      Ah. That's right. ARM (or ARM64) vs x86. So, if I get my facts straight, if it's dual boot (Windows + Android), it has to be x86, correct? This has to do with the processor involved?

The reason why i want the latest version is because if I'm going to spend $130 CAD+ on a tablet, I want it to last for several years without me needing to root and flash a custom ROM with an updated system just to get the latest apps. After a while, developers stop developing for the lower Android OS's.

Comment

Yes, at the moment, Windows is restricted to the Intel X86 platform.

There are or were mumblings from Rockchip about Windows support on their SOC's but i think that at most this was going to be restricted to IOT capability only anyway.

I'm not sure what the spec requirements are for CAD+ but i would imagine that if they released free software updates with bugs and fixes that you would want these and perhaps even if some of these then ran better on an updated firmware would be beneficial.

Lots of potential options over those few years.

Comment

I'm not sure what the spec requirements are for CAD+ but i would imagine that if they released free software updates with bugs and fixes that you would want these and perhaps even if some of these then ran better on an updated firmware would be beneficial.
          Oh, sorry about the confusion. CAD is short for "CAnadian Dollar." And the + sign was to say $130 and greater. What is about $100 USD (US Dollar) is going to be about $130 in Canadian Dollars. That's all I meant.

Comment

Originally posted by threehappypenguins View Post

Oh, sorry about the confusion. CAD is short for "CAnadian Dollar." And the + sign was to say $130 and greater. What is about $100 USD (US Dollar) is going to be about $130 in Canadian Dollars. That's all I meant.
            Hehe

It looks a good product though lol

Comment

Do you have any suggestions for tablet, then? Any reliable names? PiPO? Onda? CHUWI? What about processor recommendations? Cherry Trail? Intel Atom?

Comment

Tricky one because whilst Marshmallow will come to many, it's not really quite there yet.

I've got an Onda dual boot with 5.1 and whilst Android is OK, it just didn't float my boat personally for what it did or did not do.

My advice is that based on it's need to be useful for a number of years, if it was me (and i always do this whenever I am contemplating a product), I Google and Youtube to death until I find the one that I want and then hit the local deals sites to see how much I can get it for.

Reviews from others are always helpful to me as it enables me to ascertain just how popular and useful something is.

And also look at the support that manufacturers offer.

There is a vendors advertising and support area on Freaktab too, who are always listing deals that may be of interest and a good scan of their sites, searching for something with all the right specs is worthwhile.
                Last edited by bluesmanuk; 07-19-2017, 13:23.

Comment

I have been searching alllll day and I'm having a lot of trouble finding a $100-$130 dual boot tablet. I think the 32 GB ones are kinda useless for running both Android and Windows, so it really needs to be 64 GB. And preferably 10". Any ideas?

Comment

64Gb and 10" is likely to cost nearer $150US

Comment

64Gb and 10" is likely to cost nearer $150US
                      Which ones? I found Pipo sells 64GB, but all the cheaper ones are discontinued. I am at a loss. Can't find any.

Comment

Originally posted by threehappypenguins View Post

Which ones? I found Pipo sells 64GB, but all the cheaper ones are discontinued. I am at a loss. Can't find any.
                        There was this as an example.

http://www.geekbuying.com/item/Teclast-TBook11-Ultrabook-Dual-OS-Windows10---Android5-1-4GB-64GB-10-6--Tablet-PC-Intel-Cherry-Trail-Z8300-1-84GHz-IPS-1920-1080---Black-363363.html

Comment

*sigh*
                          I keep looking and looking and the long term reviews for many of these are not good. If I was only spending $100, then I might gamble and do it anyway. But at double the price of it looking to be at least $200, that's quite the risk. So I think I will have to just pass for now, until the prices for these things improve (and the 32 GB windows machines are done away with... sorry, but 32 gb is useless).

Comment

I think I'm probably just going to buy a cheap, local, Windows tablet and run Bluestacks when I need it.

Comment

:'(
                              I've been looking locally, and as soon as I try to find a 64GB one, the price jumps wayyyy up. Looks like I'm not going to find what I'm looking for. :'(

Comment

Working...
                              X