Best Gps built-in for tablet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best Gps built-in for tablet

Hi, I'm looking for use a tablet in my car as car navigator and other features...
    But to be honest I've been very disappointed about Gps capabilities.
    I tried a Samsung Sm-t239 and Nexus 9 and the latter was suggested somewhere as "a tablet with good GPS".
    But as I said I was very disappointed because i.e. when you are in bad weather conditions they lose GPS signal.
    I also tried to use an external Bluetooth GPS antenna but you can't get a good compatibility with Waze and Maps with the Gps antenna.
    I tried my Oneplus 5 phone and it doesn't miss a beat!
    Can you suggest me a serious tablet for that?
    I found an offer for Lenovo Tab 3 plus but I don't know it?

Sent from my LG-H990 using Tapatalk

Ever root your tablet? If so update the GPS config to one for your location. Different satellites that are out of the footprint may cause slower and unstable GPS. I admit GPS is not perfect, but if I can get it to work in most of the areas in my 2 story house in cloudy weather, how can I complain. I have a Samsung GT-N5110 tablet, and it does very well as a navigation tool in my car, as long as it is mounted on the windscreen along the upper part of the dash. Using any device near the climate controls or down by the console does not work well, as line of site is required. Having it up close the the wind screen allows best reception.

Comment

Originally posted by X92-2GB
      Ever root your tablet? If so update the GPS config to one for your location. Different satellites that are out of the footprint may cause slower and unstable GPS. I admit GPS is not perfect, but if I can get it to work in most of the areas in my 2 story house in cloudy weather, how can I complain. I have a Samsung GT-N5110 tablet, and it does very well as a navigation tool in my car, as long as it is mounted on the windscreen along the upper part of the dash. Using any device near the climate controls or down by the console does not work well, as line of site is required. Having it up close the the wind screen allows best reception.
      Thanks for reply!!
      Both my tablets are rooted and the Nexus works with a custom rom (Slimrom) because I noticed sometimes cpu overload as it has been confirmed in some forum to ensure that Gps issues weren't caused by lags ad so on.

How can I update the GPS config to one for my location?
      What do you mean that different satellites out of my footprint may cause.....?
      I had some suspects about climate controls interferences but I tested to turn off the air conditioning too.....I used Gps Status & Toolbox app to notice some interferences..
      Anyway Samsung N5110 is similar of my Samsung Sm-t239 and for GPS section are identical...

Comment

Originally posted by umby75 View Post

Thanks for reply!!
        Both my tablets are rooted and the Nexus works with a custom rom (Slimrom) because I noticed sometimes cpu overload as it has been confirmed in some forum to ensure that Gps issues weren't caused by lags ad so on.

How can I update the GPS config to one for my location?
        What do you mean that different satellites out of my footprint may cause.....?
        I had some suspects about climate controls interferences but I tested to turn off the air conditioning too.....I used Gps Status & Toolbox app to notice some interferences..
        Anyway Samsung N5110 is similar of my Samsung Sm-t239 and for GPS section are identical...

Simple if you place the tablet near the climate controls, the roof line will have more coverage over the antenna. Think of the roof being an umbrella, the more shaded area the less reception for GPS. Thus the need to place more closer to the windscreen over the dash.

as for GPS configuration file. They are general purpose files. I customised mine for Midwest use, but if you are in the UK or Alaska you need to add other GPS satellites to be included. It will make quicker connection and more accurate location finding.

search GPS config editing to add or adjust your config file. There are apk tools and modules to make the adjustments for you if your not able to make the changes on your own.
        Last edited by X92-2GB; 09-18-2018, 19:50. Reason: Edited

Comment

Originally posted by X92-2GB

Simple if you place the tablet near the climate controls, the roof line will have more coverage over the antenna. Think of the roof being an umbrella, the more shaded area the less reception for GPS. Thus the need to place more closer to the windscreen over the dash.

as for GPS configuration file. They are general purpose files. I customised mine for Midwest use, but if you are in the UK or Alaska you need to add other GPS satellites to be included. It will make quicker connection and more accurate location finding.

search GPS config editing to add or adjust your config file. There are apk tools and modules to make the adjustments for you if your not able to make the changes on your own.
          I placed the tablet under windcreen on the dash and now I don't think the tablet gets a sort of insulation into the car.
          However this night when I came back to home with clouds in the sky the tablet encountered issues to fix satellites. Only through the external Gps I was able to use the navigator but as I said there's not a good compatibility with my nav apps and external bluetooth Gps.

I'll try to modify the config file for my country but I don't think I'll fix my issues because I think they are related at the hardware of tablet..

Do you know what are the apps name for editing config files?

I compared your tablet with my Samsung and I noticed that you have compass and gyro...
          I don't know if those may do difference for GPS operating...

Last edited by umby75; 09-19-2018, 00:13.

Comment

Originally posted by umby75 View Post

I placed the tablet under windcreen on the dash and now I don't think the tablet gets a sort of insulation into the car.
            However this night when I came back to home with clouds in the sky the tablet encountered issues to fix satellites. Only through the external Gps I was able to use the navigator but as I said there's not a good compatibility with my nav apps and external bluetooth Gps.

I'll try to modify the config file for my country but I don't think I'll fix my issues because I think they are related at the hardware of tablet..

OK, just telling you what can be done, and that a proper gps configuration for location does make a difference. If you get 2 seconds faster gps lock, it means the signal is better, and will improve how the device functions under weather conditions.

Comment

Working...
            X