Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

N101 - Cannot boot to recovery, cannot update firmware

Hi guys,

I recently got my N101 from Elijah, and initially had a whole lot of problems with it (battery would not charge, needed repair etc etc). It's working now, but there are problems with the firmware that I'm sure you're all aware of like the battery status (last night it got to 32% remaining before shutting off), unusual battery drain, random wake-ups etc. I've been trying to flash Bob's 1.6 ROM, but I just can't get it to boot into recovery.

I've tried using the ROM flash tool, and I've tried every combination I can think of using the volume and power buttons but nothing works. When I'm holding the buttons, it turns of OK to the black screen, but never turns back on again and the ROM flash tool just says "No Found RKAndroid rock usb".

Has this happened to anyone else? Or does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

Jason

1st make sure your battery has atleast 70% in it before attempting updating
    also make sure usb debugging is turned off in settings>developer options.

next turn off your tablet press and hold power button for approx 10 seconds

plug your usb cable into your tablet and pc

now with the tablet off press and hold the volume down button

whilst holding vol down press and hold the power button for approx 6 seconds

if you have done it right you should now be in recovery mode, the screen will be blank no boot screen.

if you have the correct drivers installed bobs rom flash tool will say "Found RKAndroid MASS Storage USB"
    and you should be right to go from there.

if you don't have the right drivers installed you'll find them in bobs FInless 1.6 CWM Yuandao N101 download
    in the drivers folder.

Comment

Jason
      I have exactly the same problems, my tablet, only a day old, will not keep a charge long, closes down when it wants and only restarts when I plug in the charger.
      Have been on to Elijah today, the supplier, who are less than helpful telling me to flash the rom etc which for us mere mortals is not easy, I am somewhat confused.

I have threatened to return at their expense, which they have yet to agree to, and not allow Aliexpress to pay them by opening a dispute. Seems a shame as this is a good looking tablet.

Any advise will be welcomed.

Comment

Originally posted by Padstowboy View Post
        Jason
        I have exactly the same problems, my tablet, only a day old, will not keep a charge long, closes down when it wants and only restarts when I plug in the charger.
        Have been on to Elijah today, the supplier, who are less than helpful telling me to flash the rom etc which for us mere mortals is not easy, I am somewhat confused.

I have threatened to return at their expense, which they have yet to agree to, and not allow Aliexpress to pay them by opening a dispute. Seems a shame as this is a good looking tablet.

Any advise will be welcomed.

With regards to Elijah, if you reply to them quote confidentally saying that it is their responsibility to ensure the device is functioning correctly, and that you will not accept responsibility for the return postage fees, they will agree to it. They will most likely ask you to get a local repair quote first, however I did this and I was told thathay $75 was too much for them to cover and they would prefer to pay the $55ish for me to return it. Quite a big mess around.

As for the booting to recovery; I'm far from new to this. I've had plenty of other androidois tabs and phones, all of which I've rooted and flashed with custom roms, but this one just won't play along. I will try again when I get home from work with the steps outlined above, but I think I've already tried it just like that. I guess I was hoping that someone else had had (and worked around) this problem :-P

Thanks again,

Jason

Comment

is the pc your using picking up the tablet at all when you plug it in?
          if not try another cable if you already haven't some people have had troubles with the supplied usb cables, i use my sg2 one.
          another issue some have had is there pc front usb ports not working so try one of the rear ones.

Comment

Problem solved.

My super amazing technique to make this work is as follows:

Step 1: Borrow a friend's PC.

Yep, that's it. Clearly something wrong with mine. I did everything exactly the same but this time it worked. Meh, I'm happy now.

Thanks for the suggestions smokieg.

Cheers,

Jason

Comment

Originally posted by jason071 View Post
              Problem solved.My super amazing technique to make this work is as follows:Step 1: Borrow a friend's PC.Yep, that's it. Clearly something wrong with mine. I did everything exactly the same but this time it worked. Meh, I'm happy now.Thanks for the suggestions smokieg.Cheers,Jason
              Hi Janson, is your PC. 64 bit operating? I had the same issue with a previous tablet. I tried my wifes 32bit operating system and al was well. That Mayan have been the issue with your drivers for the USB.As least its working now, allls well that ends well.Res

Comment

Originally posted by Res View Post
                Hi Janson, is your PC. 64 bit operating? I had the same issue with a previous tablet. I tried my wifes 32bit operating system and al was well. That Mayan have been the issue with your drivers for the USB.As least its working now, allls well that ends well.Res
                Yeah I had to use a 32bit Win7 PC in the end.

Also interesting to note - I tried again with yet another PC just for kicks, this time running the Consumer Preview version of Win8... no luck. Looks like it's not compatible with Windows 8 (or at least the old pre-release version anyway) just yet.

Cheers,

Jason

Comment

Working...
                X