ZEKI TB782B 7" Tablet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ZEKI TB782B 7" Tablet

Well, I got frustrated enough with my Next7PS tablet that I took it back and replaced it with the Zeki TB782B tablet which I got a Sears for $119.

This tablet is VERY NICE!! It is rooted out of the box, has a full glass face (edge to edge) and a built in front facing camera, which looks REALLY REALLY GOOD, especially compared to the NEXT7PS' built in camera, which looks like CRAP!

The first thing I did was install the Google Apps (Play) and also Superuser. All went without a hitch.

The 1GB or ram really makes a hell of a difference compared to the Polaroid 701i and NEXT7PS tablets. And yes, I still have my 701i. It will be hard to part with.

Here are the specs:

• 7" TFT LCD display
    • Capacitive touchscreen
    • 4.0.3 Android Operating System
    • 1 GHz Processor
    • 1GB RAM
    • 800 x 480 native resolution
    • Built-in WiFi
    • G-Sensor
    • Front Facing Camera
    • Digital video: MOV, MKV, AVI, RM, RMVB, FLV, WMV, MP4, VOB
    • Digital audio: MP3, WMA (non-DRM), WAV
    • eBooks: PDF, EPUB
    • Expandable memory
    • 8GB installed flash memory
    • Built-in speaker
    • Micro-SD memory card reader: supports JPEG, MP3
    • Mini-USB port for battery recharge
    • A dedicated non-USB battery recharge port
    • Mini-HDMI output (1080p)
    • Battery life: ~3 hours
    • DC battery power: 2800 mAH battery
    • DC battery power: built-in rechargeable battery

The unit is feels very solid, but with the full glass front, I would not want to drop it!!!!

Both Sears and Kmart have this unit, but only Sears has it on sale right now. The Kmart price is $139, but if they do price matching, I would say you could get it at either place for the $119 price.

BTW, I have also seen the 10.1" version of this for only $149.

Here is the manufacturer's web page.
    Jim
    ---
    Ainol Novo 7 Elf II Dual Core
    Milestone (Droid) - Chevy SS GB ROM
    Milestone X - Rooted Stock GB ROM

What is the processor? Rockchip, allwinner? Etc?

Bob
    "Pzebacz im, bo nie wiedzą, co czynią"
    "Прости им, они не ведают, что творят"
    "Perdona loro perché non sanno quello che fanno"
    "Vergib ihnen, denn sie wissen nicht, was sie tun"
    "Vergeef hen want ze weten niet wat ze doen"
    "Pardonne-leur car ils ne savent pas ce qu'ils font"
    "Perdónalos porque no saben que lo que hacen"
    "Oprosti im, jer ne znaju što čine"
    "Forgive them as they know not what they do"

Comment

I have been trying to find out. I had read somewhere that it is AllWinner, but I cannot find that post now to verify it.

this is the results of cat /proc/cpuinfo

Processor : ARMv7 Processor rev 2 (v7l)
      BogoMIPS : 1001.88
      Features : swp half thumb fastmult vfp edsp neon vfpv3
      CPU implementer : 0x41
      CPU architecture: 7
      CPU variant : 0x3
      CPU part : 0xc08
      CPU revision : 2

Hardware : sun4i
      Revision : 0000
      Serial : 0000000000000000

Product and Device are listed as crane_dlyx. Not even sure what that means.

I have not yet figured out how to disassemble it. working on that.

Is there another method I can use to identify the chip set?

BTW, the soft glass buttons below the screen and the screen itself are both very very good. Much better than both the 701i and the NEXT7PS

Oh, and adb worked automatically in Linux. Unlike the N7PS. I need to extract the ROM.
      Jim
      ---

Comment

Well, apparently it is certainly the Allwinner A10 chipset. Every reference when I Google sun4i comes up with the Allwinner A10 chipset.

I managed to figure out how to get into recovery by holding down the vol - button, and hitting the reset button. Navigation is done from the volume buttons, and to select you have to use the power button. I am not sure how to get it into flash mode however.

I have pulled all the /dev/block/nanda through nandi devices to my hard drive. I have not tried mounting them yet to see which is what. I guess the /proc/mounts file would tell me this.

Here are the basic mount points from a df command:

Filesystem Size Used Free Blksize
        /dev 407M 44K 407M 4096
        /mnt/asec 407M 0K 407M 4096
        /mnt/obb 407M 0K 407M 4096
        /system 251M 217M 34M 4096
        /data 787M 223M 564M 4096
        /cache 251M 5M 246M 4096
        /mnt/sdcard 7G 5G 1G 4096
        /mnt/secure/asec 7G 5G 1G 4096
        /mnt/extsd 6G 220K 6G 4096

I had to change the void.fstab file to swap between extsd and sdcard. But notice it has 6G available of Internal storage.

I would love to get CWM installed on this thing!!

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
        Jim
        ---

Comment

After now having spent well over 24hrs with this tab, I am in love. I believe this is essentially the same motherboard and OS as the Polaroid, albeit version 1.1 HW and I think I could probably get away with flashing Shaun's Polaroid ROM to it. However, without a safety net, I am not about to try that yet. Shaun's ROM probably does not have camera or HDMI support built in.

Having the 1GB RAM, has actually given the feel of doubling the speed. I have yet to run out of RAM. I set it up on a USB hub with keyboard and mouse, 320GB HDD and external power supply, hooked up to my 32" Vizio monitor in 1080P. WOW WOW WOW! Very impressive!!!

One problem I am having, I cannot get google Talk to work. It crashes on launch. I have tried installing many different versions of it too, to no avail.

I was able to side load Talk on the Polaroid just fine. Perhaps it is because I used an update.zip file to get the other gapps (market, maps, nav etc, but no Talk). Perhaps if I reset, start over and side load everything, it will work. I dunno. I do know that Titanium Backup has some bugs now. topic for another discussion.

So anyway, that is my update for now. I realize I am on an island with this unit, but that is okay. I will learn to make ROMs for it eventually.
          Jim
          ---

Comment

Originally posted by Lexridge View Post
            After now having spent well over 24hrs with this tab, I am in love. I believe this is essentially the same motherboard and OS as the Polaroid, albeit version 1.1 HW and I think I could probably get away with flashing Shaun's Polaroid ROM to it. However, without a safety net, I am not about to try that yet. Shaun's ROM probably does not have camera or HDMI support built in.

Having the 1GB RAM, has actually given the feel of doubling the speed. I have yet to run out of RAM. I set it up on a USB hub with keyboard and mouse, 320GB HDD and external power supply, hooked up to my 32" Vizio monitor in 1080P. WOW WOW WOW! Very impressive!!!

One problem I am having, I cannot get google Talk to work. It crashes on launch. I have tried installing many different versions of it too, to no avail.

I was able to side load Talk on the Polaroid just fine. Perhaps it is because I used an update.zip file to get the other gapps (market, maps, nav etc, but no Talk). Perhaps if I reset, start over and side load everything, it will work. I dunno. I do know that Titanium Backup has some bugs now. topic for another discussion.

So anyway, that is my update for now. I realize I am on an island with this unit, but that is okay. I will learn to make ROMs for it eventually.
            I'm thinking about getting one of these too,basically for the camera and the 1 gig of memory. Are they planning to release to the rom for this tablet?

Comment

Originally posted by c,lei View Post
              I'm thinking about getting one of these too,basically for the camera and the 1 gig of memory. Are they planning to release to the rom for this tablet?
              Good question! I have emailed their tech support about it, but yet no reply from them. I have also extracted all the parts necessary to build a ROM, but so far, the A10 Kitchen is not being very cooperative, but I have only worked on it seriously one evening so far. Time is a luxury. Anyone else want to try their hand at building the ROM for this unit? I will supply all files necessary.

I disassembled it today, not to the point of removing the MB, but that will come next. The MB is NOT the same as the Polaroid, as I originally thought. It is actually quite a bit bigger, and supposed to have a SATA 3 connector on it somewhere, but I couldn't find it. Perhaps it is on the backside of the MB, which I have yet to see. When I get there, I will of course post photos of it.

There are no screws to take the case apart. It is simply snapped together, but very well, I might add. It was kinda difficult to get it started, but once started, it was very easy to work around it with a small thin screwdriver.
              Jim
              ---

Comment

finally got some photos to share. I removed the MB, but only circuit traces on the backside. No need for photos of that.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03658-2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	124.6 KB
ID:	428983Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03666-2.jpg
Size:	190.7 KB
ID:	428984Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03668-2.jpg
Size:	129.1 KB
ID:	428985Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03667-2.jpg
Size:	180.8 KB
ID:	428986
                Jim
                ---

Comment

MoreClick image for larger version

Name:	DSC03657-2.jpg
Size:	157.7 KB
ID:	428987Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03656-2.jpg
Size:	126.4 KB
ID:	428988Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03655-2.jpg
Size:	128.5 KB
ID:	428989
                  Jim
                  ---

Comment

Good question! I have emailed their tech support about it, but yet no reply from them. I have also extracted all the parts necessary to build a ROM, but so far, the A10 Kitchen is not being very cooperative, but I have only worked on it seriously one evening so far. Time is a luxury. Anyone else want to try their hand at building the ROM for this unit? I will supply all files necessary.

I disassembled it today, not to the point of removing the MB, but that will come next. The MB is NOT the same as the Polaroid, as I originally thought. It is actually quite a bit bigger, and supposed to have a SATA 3 connector on it somewhere, but I couldn't find it. Perhaps it is on the backside of the MB, which I have yet to see. When I get there, I will of course post photos of it.

There are no screws to take the case apart. It is simply snapped together, but very well, I might add. It was kinda difficult to get it started, but once started, it was very easy to work around it with a small thin screwdriver.
                    What is the resolution of the camera on the tablet? Hopefully I'll be able to get one from Kmart it looks like it'll be a nice addition to my 701c.

What kind of scewdriver did you use to pry open the case? One of those flat-bladed ones that comes with the eyeglass repair kits?

Comment

What is the resolution of the camera on the tablet? Hopefully I'll be able to get one from Kmart it looks like it'll be a nice addition to my 701c.

What kind of scewdriver did you use to pry open the case? One of those flat-bladed ones that comes with the eyeglass repair kits?
                      The camera resolution is 0.3 MP, and it meant mainly for video calling via skype, I would assume.

I used a utility knife to start splitting the case, very carefully I might add. Then I used a regular flathead screwdriver with a wide tip, then carefully pryed all the way around.
                      Jim
                      ---

Comment

The camera resolution is 0.3 MP, and it meant mainly for video calling via skype, I would assume.

I used a utility knife to start splitting the case, very carefully I might add. Then I used a regular flathead screwdriver with a wide tip, then carefully pryed all the way around.
                        I"m seriously looking at getting one of these tablets. They are on sale at Kmart for $99 this week.

Comment

I"m seriously looking at getting one of these tablets. They are on sale at Kmart for $99 this week.
                          Oh nice!! I might buy another at that price!!
                          Jim
                          ---

Comment

Damn... $99 at Kmart.... not many of those around my area anymopre but I have to check on that!

Bob
                            "Pzebacz im, bo nie wiedzą, co czynią"
                            "Прости им, они не ведают, что творят"
                            "Perdona loro perché non sanno quello che fanno"
                            "Vergib ihnen, denn sie wissen nicht, was sie tun"
                            "Vergeef hen want ze weten niet wat ze doen"
                            "Pardonne-leur car ils ne savent pas ce qu'ils font"
                            "Perdónalos porque no saben que lo que hacen"
                            "Oprosti im, jer ne znaju što čine"
                            "Forgive them as they know not what they do"

Comment

You are correct. Here is the link.

Sears also has them on sale for $99.

I also just bought myself a second tablet. Love it!
                              Last edited by Lexridge; 06-13-2012, 00:42.
                              Jim
                              ---

Comment

Working...
                              X