No announcement yet.

Tanix TX6 TV Box - Allwinner H6 4/32GB Dual WiFi BT4.1 or 5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

After about 8 hours of failure and the ultimate hell (having to work in Windows, sticking an SD card through the wrong hole and pushing it inside the TX6 necessitating a tear down . . . ) I have finally figured out the problem. The 4/64 TX6 CANNOT back down to Android 7 as it is (from memory) NOT a perl-pl1!! So, unless they fix it in 9 or a version of LibreElec comes out (not likely) its onward and upwards!

Comment

4 ?64 goes to android 7
      lots of emotions and little concrete
      where are these conclusions coming from?

Comment

Sorry to hear that Warchild Lets hope that there will a new firmware for you that fixes the issues you had with stock ROM Android 9 and that they manage to get video playback run super smooth without any jerkyness, stuttering and rapid buffering.

But downgrading to the SCV1 custom ROM will work on Tanix Tx6 4*32?

I am a little reluctant sticking my head into the downgrading rabbit hole because I don't wanna spend 8 hours trying this and that and end up not getting it to work. If someone has done a successful install of the SCV1 Custom ROM on the Tx6 with 4GB Ram and 32 GB storage let me know, and I will jump right in and try it myself.

Comment

Originally posted by Hikvision View Post
          4 ?64 goes to android 7
          lots of emotions and little concrete
          where are these conclusions coming from?
          I finally gave it up when I got the error message log saying it would not install the update as my box was "" "" and the update was for (I think) perl-pl1. The flash of 9 went perfectly so I was drawing conclusions. Oh, and on every flash and/or SD flash attempt I got the error message that even though my password was correct my data was corrupt. The one time I gor the old 7 logo (TX6 instead of Tanix) it hung for over an hour.
          If there are any suggestions I am totally open to them and willing to try.
          It bugs me that I've had the box open 3 times but keep being too timid to pry off the heat sink and confirm the chip!

Comment

Update flashing custom rom Android 7 on Tanix Tx6 4 GB Ram 32 GB storage. Don't remember stock firmware, but februar-ish 2019 I think.
            Note that I used SDmicro rather then USB cable.

SDmicro worked wonder. No notification that I needed to activate the Tanix after flashing custom ROM.

PS: AFAIK this method and this custom ROM will only work with Tanix Tx6 4GB RAM and 32GB ROM.
            1. Downloaded superceleron 's Custom ROM SVC1 from this thread
            2. Formatted the SDmicro first with Rufus3.5.exe
            3. Used PhoenixCard.exe to burn image file for custom ROM to SDmicro, Make sure you choose PRODUCT rather then startup with the radio button. PhoenixCard is in english btw.
            4. Turned off power from Tanix Tx6, inserted the SDmicro and powered on.
            5. Tanix started to flash from SDmicro and within a few minutes the green bar was complete and I could turn off power and remove SDmicro.
            6. Rebooted Tanix Tx6 and I noticed the boot was a little different then Android 9, and initial boot was a little slow as always with fresh install.
            7. Android 7 was working very smooth. No more stuttering on videofiles of moderate size. The largest BD rips still was too much but the ones I compressed a little was great, smooth and crisp and clear.

Sadly SPDIF optical out does not work in Android 7 either. But with the custom ROM I do get a notification when I connect the Tanix to external sound card with USB cable. I have not sorted the sound yet, so at the moment I get sound via HDMI and that is not optimal for me, but I manage until I work out the sound via USB.

If your Tanix Tx6 4*32 is unstable, or video stutter or keep buffering you might wanna try to downgrade and run the Custom ROM. The SVC1 Custom ROM seems way quicker and more responsive then stock Android 9, and is way better at playing video files. Now I can even play ISO files without any problems, stuttering or ongoing buffering. Very pleased. Try it if you feel like giving up on your Tx 6 4*32.

Thx superceleron for putting in the time and effort to make this custom rom.
            Last edited by blackholesun; 06-02-2019, 22:38.

Comment

Very good news. Congrats.
              Can you tell if your HDMI is using passthrough or is it converting to 2 channel pcm? (My major concern.)

Comment

I'll check tomorrow warchild. I think I actually chose to use 2 channel stereo because of the lack of 5.1/7.2 sound system. At them moment I only got hifi stereo.
                Haven't yet got sound via amplifier and stereo, as I currently using hdmi for picture and sound so at the moment I am only using tv speakers, and they are terrible.

But it seems I might be able to fix this using usb cable to external sound card.

Spdif is still as dead as it was with Android 9, Custom Rom did not make spdif work. Is there any way to check if the spdif is actually connected? In the start I was convinced spdif was dead due to firmware issues, but as spdif is still dead with custom Android 7 rom I wouldn't be surprised if the Tx6 spdif was dead on arrival, a hardware issue rather then firmware. But I don't know of a way to confirm that, and I don't have any fancy electrical engineer tools to any kind of measurements either.

Comment

Originally posted by blackholesun View Post
                  I'll check tomorrow warchild. I think I actually chose to use 2 channel stereo because of the lack of 5.1/7.2 sound system. At them moment I only got hifi stereo.
                  Haven't yet got sound via amplifier and stereo, as I currently using hdmi for picture and sound so at the moment I am only using tv speakers, and they are terrible.

But it seems I might be able to fix this using usb cable to external sound card.

Spdif is still as dead as it was with Android 9, Custom Rom did not make spdif work. Is there any way to check if the spdif is actually connected? In the start I was convinced spdif was dead due to firmware issues, but as spdif is still dead with custom Android 7 rom I wouldn't be surprised if the Tx6 spdif was dead on arrival, a hardware issue rather then firmware. But I don't know of a way to confirm that, and I don't have any fancy electrical engineer tools to any kind of measurements either.
                  I checked and it seems to be attached in the right place on the board but it generates nothing at all on the stuff I have at hand. Makes it annoying that they used a mini optical jack which is not a handy item most have lying around.(On the Magicsee N6 the SPDIF is attached but it is in the wrong place. That jack is not shielded and generates noisy analog sound)
                  Sorry the Custom ROM didn't sure all ills but it does sound like it made things a lot better.

I'm trying to figure what the next box will be,

Comment

Update flashing custom rom Android 7 on Tanix Tx6 4 GB Ram 32 GB storage. Don't remember stock firmware, but februar-ish 2019 I think.
                    Note that I used SDmicro rather then USB cable. .
                    And it turned out that updating software is very simple, fast and safe.)))
                    If you need a digital audio output, use software from EACHLINK H6 Mini .
                    you only need to replace the remote control config - this is very simple. And the display will not work
                    Hi there guys and girls, one more rom/fw for you all! Since everybody is doing stuff for amlogic, i though in giving H6 boxes some love :) Many thks to gearbest for sending me the device to play :) Many Thks to my beta testers trebor READ THE BUGS SECTION FOR UNNECESSARY QUESTIONS!!!! THE SDK USED TO BUILD THIS ROM... IT WAS

Comment

And it turned out that updating software is very simple, fast and safe.)))
                      If you need a digital audio output, use software from EACHLINK H6 Mini .
                      you only need to replace the remote control config - this is very simple. And the display will not work
                      https://forum.freaktab.com/forum/tv-...al-android-7-0

And the display will not work? If I fix the spdif optical out then the display will not work? Do you mean the tanix box will not be able to send picture over hdmi if I make the changes? I am not sure I correctly understand what you are saying. If you could explain that would be great.

Comment

Do you mean the tanix box will not be able to send picture over hdmi if I make the changes?
                        He ment the Clock display won't work.

Enviado do meu POCOPHONE F1 atrav?s do Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Warchild View Post

I checked and it seems to be attached in the right place on the board but it generates nothing at all on the stuff I have at hand. Makes it annoying that they used a mini optical jack which is not a handy item most have lying around.(On the Magicsee N6 the SPDIF is attached but it is in the wrong place. That jack is not shielded and generates noisy analog sound)
                          Sorry the Custom ROM didn't sure all ills but it does sound like it made things a lot better.

I'm trying to figure what the next box will be,
                          To be completely honest Android 7 did work, or rather I should say it kind of worked for me. At least downgrading to android 7 I can play dvd rips at full quality without stuttering and jerky image. BD rips I can only play moderate file size, which is kind of ok, but at the same time not. Reducing quality by compressing feels kind of like a waste, the reason I bought BD versions in the first place was to get a better image. And ripping a movie is really also about future proofing your content. So compressed content just before we update to 4K seems like the wrong move. But for now it is compressed BD or no Blue Ray rips at all.

The bigger issue is the lack of working spdif, as that was one of the deciding factors when buying this box.

For the next box? Personally I don't think I go down this road again. I did a fair bit of research before ordering tx 6. And what I saw was that Tx 6 from Tanix was one of the best boxes of 2019 if not the best. People where talking it up and what not. I had high hopes and Tx6 didn't really deliver. I've been on a different box a few years ago too. Turns out, these boxes are really a waste of money. Honestly. If you consider the time and effort put into the box to update, fix bugs or add features, or fix missing features. If you start counting hours this device is not longer cheap. Of course your mileage may vary. And it kind of did work out this time because I could spend some time with the box to better the box, I just happen'd to have extra free time. And free time, well its free

So for my next box I will do a regular HTPC build. I small form factor one if that does not add to much extra cost over a normal size motherboard. I will get the best hardware I can afford -and that is not top-of-the-line cpu and gpu, that is more like, best-bang-for-your-buck cpu and gpu.

Stick Linux on the box and go for some open source media player software like Kodi or something. Stream music, movies etc via home network as well as tap into the features of Kodi and not have any issues with buffering, jerky scenes, stuttering or faulty features. And such a box should be ease to setup, easy to maintain and should at least last longer then any of the "tv boxes". And the htpc will also be upgradeable in the future hardware wise as with any pc.

As far as the value of the box as things stands right now, I would say I can live fine with it. The performances from the Tanix Tx6 is decent, not great but decent. And it got way better with custom android 7 ROM. For now it will have to do while I save up money for a dedicated HTPC box. Maybe next winter a HTPC? Until then, I can live fine with Tanix tx6. Especially when I get the audio routed in a better way. Either via spdif or via usb cable to ext. sound card.
                          Last edited by blackholesun; 06-04-2019, 16:04.

Comment

Originally posted by TheBlackening View Post
                            He ment the Clock display won't work.
                            quite right

Comment

PhoenixCard - Video instruction

Auf YouTube findest du die angesagtesten Videos und Tracks. Außerdem kannst du eigene Inhalte hochladen und mit Freunden oder gleich der ganzen Welt teilen.
                              Last edited by Hikvision; 06-04-2019, 06:41.

Comment

PhoenixCard - Video instruction

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_sookZUYD4
                                Great video.
                                When I downgraded to Android 7 I am positive I skipped one step - the Format to Normal I didn't do.
                                I just clicked Burn directly and the result was a working update.

What does Format To Normal actually do in the process? My sdmicro was formatted to fat32 prior to using PhoenixCard so maybe that is why it still worked?

Comment

Working...
                                X