Draco AW80 - Multimedia playback and XBMC issue & feedback here

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

@BTR11

Thanks for the advice and encouragement. Yes, as an early adopter, I've been at this same point (buggy firmware, unoptimized drivers) with other devices (Amlogic M8; Minix Neo-X8; Fire TV...). It can be brutal, eventually it comes right.

But I'm not sitting on my hands waiting:

1. Eric of GeekBuying is following this thread closely and, to his great credit, took the initiative to PM me asking for my video test files and committing to follow though with the manufacturer. I think he is doing that.

2. I have joined Tronsmart's own (under-utilized) forum, with a section dedicated to the Draco, where I have represented my main findings quite emphatically...

There's a reply from Tronsmart to me there which indicates they are preparing new firmware in response to the insights and criticisms provided by our discussion here. I think we have been heard. There is even a hint that they are collaborating with PowerVR on improving the GPU functioning specifically.

3. I will write to Koying, as you suggest. He has my great respect. I'm sure he'd also be gratified to hear from others here about their hopes for his intervention.

And yes, my box did arrive fast! Eric's team put on their skates and I ponied up for DHL...

Comment

I have been doing some testing with XBMC and did a video review that shows some of the poor performance in XBMC - Eric if you want to check it out and show them first hand proof you can find it here - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iB8r7-IIbYk]

From the hour I spent with the test videos what I noticed being most problematic was 60fps video. I tested bitrate all the way up to 60mbps at 24fps and that didnt have much of a problem but at 60fps it was dropping and skipping frames like no other.

@Zahir cheers for the good work on bringing it to the attention of the right people. As early adopters of this device and others we both know these things will take time to polish up but from a first firmware perspective I feel like this box has a lot going for it so far.

Comment

@alwaysbless, nice follow-up, many thanks for your encouragement. Yes, we'll get there!

I've just written to Koying.

Comment

Originally posted by Zahir View Post
          @BTR11

2. I have joined Tronsmart's own (under-utilized) forum, with a section dedicated to the Draco, where I have represented my main findings quite emphatically...

There's a reply from Tronsmart to me there which indicates they are preparing new firmware in response to the insights and criticisms provided by our discussion here. I think we have been heard. There is even a hint that they are collaborating with PowerVR on improving the GPU functioning specifically.

3. I will write to Koying, as you suggest. He has my great respect. I'm sure he'd also be gratified to hear from others here about their hopes for his intervention.
          Thanks, following up now the tronsmart forum.

Involving Koying to find a solution it´s the best you can do at the moment as an advanced end user you are. Great contribution to us who are waiting on the arrival of our Draco AW80. Cheers.

Comment

Draco AW80

Well ive just ordered my Draco AW80 off geekbuying today. Not due in stock till 25th nov. Hope to get it before xmass. Iv gone for the 32 gb 1. It will be the last 1 i get for a wile so have to make it last. lol. Il let you now how it plays.

Comment

@BTR11, add your voice and bring your friends! It's our collective experience and wisdom that put weight behind our case. BTW, I'm staying on the stock firmware to maintain a consistent baseline for the criticisms I'm making. Otherwise, I'd have jumped to Bob's.

Check out alwaysbless's video: picture's worth a thousand...

@Bigall, you picked a great box - in the making. Network performance alone is worth it - and there's more to like. But ultimately, a fast box without the right firmware is a fighter jet without a good pilot: more likely to crash than soar. Tronsmart know that. They have to capitalize on their early outing with the a80/G6230 combo. ZeroDevices and Rikomagic will soon be in the air with their rival offerings.

Comment

I had started to ask and request directly to Tronsmart in their forum, hopefully they will pay attention and take care of us.

Comment

I've had this box wired up near my PC since I got it, as that's the best place for the bug-watching/swatting that goes with a new device.

Today, I put it into my home video rack, complete with Dolby sound. (No, the video bugs remain, but I wanted to try it in a "home" setting). Glad I did. The sound quality (and quantity) from this thing are great: solid, spacious and distinct. And it's excellent to be able to play sound through HDMI and SPDIF simultaneously. (Minix 8 owners would be green).

Happy to end my day with the Draco on a positive note. It's going to be splendid hardware when the OS and drivers are sorted.

Comment

Allwaysbliss, can you test those videos again but put them on internal SDcard?
                    I noticed USB transfer rates are not great and wondering if this could effect XBMC and skipping/dropping.

Bob
                    "Pzebacz im, bo nie wiedzą, co czynią"
                    "Прости им, они не ведают, что творят"
                    "Perdona loro perché non sanno quello che fanno"
                    "Vergib ihnen, denn sie wissen nicht, was sie tun"
                    "Vergeef hen want ze weten niet wat ze doen"
                    "Pardonne-leur car ils ne savent pas ce qu'ils font"
                    "Perdónalos porque no saben que lo que hacen"
                    "Oprosti im, jer ne znaju što čine"
                    "Forgive them as they know not what they do"

Comment

Originally posted by Finless View Post
                      Allwaysbliss, can you test those videos again but put them on internal SDcard?
                      I noticed USB transfer rates are not great and wondering if this could effect XBMC and skipping/dropping.

Bob
                      Gonna test now with As above, so below as well. Will let you know!

Update: Tested the 60fps big buck bunny clip playback from sd card and it was still the same as far skipped / dropped frames. Also, did local sdcard some testing with 24fps .avi files and noticed some frame skipping with them as well.
                      Last edited by alwaysbless; 11-20-2014, 05:38.

Comment

Draco AW80

Well i was looking on the tronsmart forum yesterday & there is a new firmware about to come out for this box, That will hopefully fix the frame skipping. So lets wait & see. My wife bought me this box for xmass so if i brake it, She will kill me. haha. Im sticking with the stock firmware for now untill im 100% sure how to flash this thing. PS. Thanks Zahir. I think iv gone for the right box as well.

Comment

Originally posted by bigall123 View Post
                          Well i was looking on the tronsmart forum yesterday & there is a new firmware about to come out for this box, That will hopefully fix the frame skipping. So lets wait & see. My wife bought me this box for xmass so if i brake it, She will kill me. haha. Im sticking with the stock firmware for now untill im 100% sure how to flash this thing. PS. Thanks Zahir. I think iv gone for the right box as well.
                          From what I can see and trust me I made several ROMs that did not boot, this box is impossible to brick because of the reset button. I think there is a rescue loader that cannot be trashed. Not sure but again I have bricked every box I own and this one never hard bricked.

Bob

Comment

@Finless We need to know how to unbrick this box from a hard brick should it occur. Some of us are pretty far from China mainland. Can you please ask Eric to supply us with a procedure from the factory?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by dlangejc View Post
                              @Finless We need to know how to unbrick this box from a hard brick should it occur. Some of us are pretty far from China mainland. Can you please ask Eric to supply us with a procedure from the factory?

Did you read what I said above? I do not believe you can hard brick this thing as the reset button always puts it into flash mode so the Phoenix suite can flash. I have been unable to brick this even making bad bootloader partitions!

Bob

Comment

@Finless That's good news for us then, I was just a little cautious. So no shorting of pins on the PCB to get it to flash. ... Nice 😎

Comment

Working...
                                X