• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Full review Tronsmart Draco AW80 Octa core from CNX

Code:
    [B]Tronsmart Draco AW80 Octa core Android TV Box Review[/B]

[B]Conclusion[/B]

Tronsmart Draco AW80 has some exciting specifications with a fast  octa-core processor, high speed interfaces like USB 3.0, SATA, and  Gigabit Ethernet, and the potential to support Linux. The device feels  fast indeed, and stable, with very good Wi-Fi and working Gigabit  Ethernet (a rare thing!). Video playback is OK most of the time, but VP9  and H.265 are simply not properly supported in either Kodi and MX  Player, and I’ve noticed some apparently random issues with skipped  frames while playing some videos. USB 3.0 performance is disappointing,  and if you thought SATA would bring a boost in storage performance, I  would not hold my breath (not tested) as it’s implemented via a USB 2.0  to SATA bridge. So all in all it’s a pretty good device, but maybe not  just as good as could have been expected from the specs.
     PRO:
     [LIST][*]Fast new processor, the only octa core mini PC / TV box in the market (excluding some ODROID development boards) [*]Very good 3D graphics (when ti works) [*]Stable and fast firmware. [*]USB 3.0, and SATA interfaces (with caveats) [*]Very good Wi-Fi performance, and Gigabit Ethernet working [*]Video Output – 1080p support 24, 50 and 60 Hz output. 4K @ 30Hz should be supported (not tested). [*]Proper power off/standby handling. [*]Aluminum casing and heatsink keep the device cool (40 C). [*]Webcam supported in Skype [*]Bluetooth well supported – File transfer, Bluetooth Smart (BLE), Sixaxis gamepad [*]OTA update appears to be supported [*][URL="http://www.tronsmart.com/forum/tronsmart-draco-aw80"]Support forum[/URL] [/LIST]
     CONS:
     [LIST][*]Some 3D games may have problems to run, at least, Riptide GP2 is basically unplayable for me due to the game freezing. [*]H.265 / VP9 codec not supported properly in both Kodi/XBMC and MX Player [*]Skipped frame issues in some videos (appears to start randomly). [*]Google Hangouts can be used with webcam (can’t start chat). [*]Slow write speed on NTFS/USB partition, USB 3.0 performance slower  than most TV boxes with USB 2.0 port. SATA should be the same (USB 2.0  to SATA bridge) [*]Gigabit has an asymmetric performance (720Mbps / 220 Mbps) according to iperf, but still good enough for most use cases. [/LIST]

Read more: [URL]http://www.cnx-software.com/2014/11/09/tronsmart-draco-aw80-meta-review/#ixzz3IYxuLPCU[/URL]
    Not bad. But RK3288 is still best choice

Give it a few days to get established and worked on, it can only get better

Cheers

Originally posted by sogoku_vn View Post
    [CODE]Tronsmart Draco AW80 Octa core Android TV Box Review
    Not bad. But RK3288 is still best choice
    treboR
    Please consider
    Donating to Freaktab

Comment

Considering that this is an out of the box review, I would say that it is perhaps already ahead of RK3288 at the same stage.

The issues about SATA that wasn't tested has pretty much been confirmed by Bob as being very good.

Support for H265 is still an issue for RK3288 too and the review doesn't seem to be more specific about MX Player.

After all that I have read so far, the one potential downside from a marketing and hype perspective is that of not being able to support full 4k and regardless of the fact that mainstream 4k rollout is probably still a way off yet, marketing can often sway a prospective purchaser away from a product that is not seen as future ready.

Right now, if I could swap my RK3288 for one of these, I would do so in a heartbeat, despite being quite happy with what I have.

With firmware updates I feel that this has the prospect of being a real winner for those that prefer substance over style.
      R-TV BOX S10, Beebox N3150, Chuwi Hibox, Nvidia Shield, A95X Max

Comment

Nothing exciting on FW side, same old, boring, dull Android Ui-Launcher

Comment

My own reading of that excellent first review is that the jury is out. Too many qualified comments on aspects that we should be able to take for granted, with a box of this power and after years of evolved knowledge of Android.

Things like hitch-free video across major codecs should be a given by now. Apparently not. Sensible power management should not be an occasion for applause (or relief!) but a basic requirement. (Does anyone ever have to point out that a PC shuts down?) USB2-to-SATA and slow USB 3 damage the PR pitch of fast I/O. And so on..

Let's see - these are early days. Thank goodness we have Bob to go forward from where the retail hype ends.

Comment

Working...
          X