Draco AW80 - LINUX, let's talk about...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

if Netflixs works with Chrome then i might buy one of theses

if Netflixs works with Chrome then i might buy one of theses once the linux is working with h/w accleration

Comment

Lubuntu

Any word or sign of that h/w accelerated Lubuntu release?

Or is this going to slide into 2015?

Comment

It has been released with hardware acceleration. Although there are still some outstanding issues with video playback.

Originally posted by Zahir View Post
        Any word or sign of that h/w accelerated Lubuntu release?

Or is this going to slide into 2015?
        Originally posted by "Tronsmart" post=1238
        Ok, today is the last day of 2014 here, as promised we should release the lubuntu with hardware acceleration. so here we go:

In this firmware, we have added the hardware acceleration, and fix the usb wireless keyboard/mouse problem, However, big sorry guys, the video playback is still not as good as we thought. Our engineer already working with allwinner for the last whole week, we (support team) push them everyday to try to find the problem, however, they still can't fix it before the end of 2014. The engineer have some ideas but they need a little more time to try that.

All of us here is upset, because we can't fulfill our promise, but if you know linux, you should know the hardware acceleration has been added, now we use the GPU to do the decode. check the following photos:

we use glmark2-es to test. ( in the last release, because lack of hardware acceleration, you can't run this test, but now,we can run without problem, and get the score 391.

method to run this command:
        open the LXterminal
        run:
        sudo apt-get install glmark2-es2

Please don't think we post the photo and just want to say we add the hardware acceleration to cheat our users,we really working hard on this linux , and we feel so sorry that can't give you guys a perfect linux firmware as promised.

Our engineer will stay on allwinner and verify the problem, we still have confidence that we can fix that.

Stay Tuned.

Tronsmart Team

Comment

Goodness, how did I miss this? Thanks for flagging.

Sad to see we're still not there, after all this time and all of Tronsmart's efforts. I've always thought they underestimated the challenge with PowerVR's drivers. Not even Allwinner has been able to crack that nut.

Good luck in 2015....

Comment

It is Only a Matter of Time

I have been waiting a long time for a small linux box that does not draw much power. They seem committed to making this work. I believe that a lot of people will beat a path to their door once they do.

For me, I live in a tropical climate and want low power, cool running boxes. The idea of possibly using this as a small server is even more tempting.

Someone mentioned that you might be able to boot Ubuntu from the SD card but not the drive. I wonder if this box is already Android bootable from the SD card. In which case linux would be my primary os. Anybody know?

Anyway, I must be a real propeller head to find this all so exciting. I am almost ashamed.

Comment

Package manager

Hi,

Just starting testing Lubuntu right now.
              Chromium is very smooth, when navigate but take 2-3 secondes to load.
              Not tested much more.

Can't find a package manager, is it due to the arm arch ?

thanks
              Tronsmart AW80 Draco- Dovless 1.09, based on Finless 1.1

Comment

Open up a Terminal and type:

su
                apt-get update
                apt-get upgrade
                apt-get install synaptic

Comment

Originally posted by neomode View Post
                  Open up a Terminal and type:

su
                  apt-get update
                  apt-get upgrade
                  apt-get install synaptic

Thanks for your reply.
                  Tried it, but keep asking for su password.

Edit:
                  I've managed to install it with sudo command
                  But password needed when i launch synaptic.
                  Anyone know the root password for his firmware, or is it locked on purpose by tronsmart ?
                  Tronsmart AW80 Draco- Dovless 1.09, based on Finless 1.1

Comment

Give him the password of your User Account.
                    This should Work like with apt-get.
                    Or if not open a Terminal and type:

sudo
                    synaptic

Neomode

Comment

Zip file corrupted?

I have tried downloading this new linux version 3 times on 3 different computers but each one cannot be opened. The download finishes and the file size is 498mb (509,982kb) but zip file can't be opened by Windows OS (says file is invalid) or by 7-zip app. I have also tried using Winrar to repair the file but get error saying "E:\Downloads\Tronsmart Draco AW80_ubuntu_20141230.zip: Unexpected end of archive"

Is it just me or is the uploaded zip file on mediafire corrupted? Tronsmart can you please re-upload the file? Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by marphsai49 View Post
                        Thanks for your reply.
                        Tried it, but keep asking for su password.

Edit:
                        I've managed to install it with sudo command
                        But password needed when i launch synaptic.
                        Anyone know the root password for his firmware, or is it locked on purpose by tronsmart ?
                        This is the Ubuntu way. There is no root password assigned and you are expected to use sudo. If you are savvy enough you will know how to set your own root password and then you can su. I expect this is their way of weeding out new linux users and long-time unix/linux people with only the latter having true root access.

Comment

Originally posted by vouty View Post
                          http://www.mediafire.com/download/zp...u_20141230.zip

I have tried downloading this new linux version 3 times on 3 different computers but each one cannot be opened. The download finishes and the file size is 498mb (509,982kb) but zip file can't be opened by Windows OS (says file is invalid) or by 7-zip app. I have also tried using Winrar to repair the file but get error saying "E:\Downloads\Tronsmart Draco AW80_ubuntu_20141230.zip: Unexpected end of archive"

Is it just me or is the uploaded zip file on mediafire corrupted? Tronsmart can you please re-upload the file? Thanks.
                          Try downloading with Free Download Manager
                          Last edited by Zone; 12-31-2014, 20:39.

Comment

Originally posted by Zone View Post
                            Here you go! let me know when your done.

Try downloading with Free Download Manager
                            That worked. Thanks!

Comment

The alternate flash method works with the Linux release it just takes quite a bit more time than android.
                              Last edited by Zone; 12-31-2014, 23:56.

Comment

Linux - Latest release

OK, I have tested the new Linux release on my Draco meta:

PROS: It's a desktop OS, so meant to work with a keyboard & mouse rather than a touchscreen.

CONS:
                                Video playback on small local avi files is choppy and unwatchable.

Low-res youtube video (360p) in Chrome browser also choppy and unwatchable.

OS UI is laggy.

Horribly unpolished, clunky, out of date Linux desktop interface reminds me once again why I quit trying to use Linux as a desktop OS. Do I really want to be typing terminal commands into a media center pc?

Really hoping someone can find a way to make a polished UI for this box that fully realizes the potential of the hardware. Really don't care if it's Android or Lubuntu, as long as it works.

Comment

Working...
                                X