X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NEW - TWRP Recovery for Tronsmart Draco

TWRP is not ghost making that I thought

This is how I discovered it:

1) with TWRP ,I made a complete backup of Tronsmart rom with all nand and everything else checked . I thought it was 100% backup !!!

2) I flashed rk rom with SD card method , obviously the remote didn't work anymore

3) I installed TWRP on that rom and booted to recovery .

4) I restored the backup previously made , with all options checked .

5) I thought the remote would work perfectly but it didn't wake up the box any more

So I have 2 questions :

1) what does SD card flashing method do more than TWRP restore with all nand ?

2) what does backup with all nand still miss ?
    Last edited by frhdt007; 01-05-2015, 04:20.

Comment

Originally posted by frhdt007 View Post
      TWRP is not ghost making that I thought

This is how I discovered it:

1) with TWRP ,I made a complete backup of Tronsmart rom with all nand and everything else checked . I thought it was 100% backup !!!

2) I flashed rk rom with SD card method , obviously the remote didn't work anymore

3) I installed TWRP on that rom and booted to recovery .

4) I restored the backup previously made , with all options checked .

5) I thought the remote would work perfectly but it didn't wake up the box any more

So I have 2 questions :

1) what does SD card flashing method do more than TWRP restore with all nand ?

2) what does backup with all hand still miss ?
      While TWRP is perfect for backing up USER data, the remote config file is in /system!
      BUT here is the problem. If you back up /system and then restore it, you will be back to the OLD ROM!

So when you flash a ROM that does not support your remote, YOUR SCREWED! Restoring /system will put back 90% of the files from the old ROM. Restoring /data will not fix your remote issues as the config file is not in /data but in the ROM!!!!

Bottom line this is nothing TWRP can help you with! When /system changes which includes support for the remote, you cannot do anything about it other than learning to make your own ROM!

Make sense?

Bob
      "Pzebacz im, bo nie wiedzą, co czynią"
      "Прости им, они не ведают, что творят"
      "Perdona loro perché non sanno quello che fanno"
      "Vergib ihnen, denn sie wissen nicht, was sie tun"
      "Vergeef hen want ze weten niet wat ze doen"
      "Pardonne-leur car ils ne savent pas ce qu'ils font"
      "Perdónalos porque no saben que lo que hacen"
      "Oprosti im, jer ne znaju što čine"
      "Forgive them as they know not what they do"

Comment

Originally posted by Finless View Post
        While TWRP is perfect for backing up USER data, the remote config file is in /system!
        BUT here is the problem. If you back up /system and then restore it, you will be back to the OLD ROM!

So when you flash a ROM that does not support your remote, YOUR SCREWED! Restoring /system will put back 90% of the files from the old ROM. Restoring /data will not fix your remote issues as the config file is not in /data but in the ROM!!!!

Bottom line this is nothing TWRP can help you with! When /system changes which includes support for the remote, you cannot do anything about it other than learning to make your own ROM!

Make sense?

Bob
        The question many might ask is why restore /system only puts back 90% of the old rom and not 100% ?

Comment

Umm.. I may be missing something in this discussion -- but after flashing a non-remote rom, why not just put a copy of the stock config file (sunxi.ir.kl) -- saved to your PC earlier -- into system/usr/keylayout/?

And if you forgot to save a copy, we can upload one for all to use...

Of course, the question of what TWRP does - or does not -restore is instructive, in its own way.

Comment

Originally posted by Zahir View Post
            Umm.. I may be missing something in this discussion -- but after flashing a non-remote rom, why not just put a copy of the stock config file (sunxi.ir.kl) -- saved to your PC earlier -- into system/usr/keylayout/?

And if you forgot to save a copy, we can upload one for all to use...

Of course, the question of what TWRP does - or does not -restore is instructive, in its own way.
            The file Sunxi.ir .kl was not missing after having restored the backup. The remote worked well when the system was on, it did NOT work well to wake up from sleeping, Something else other than sunxi.ir.kl was missing !

Comment

@Zahir,
              I just want to compare TWRP restore method with SD card flashing method, and NOW, I realize that sd card method is safe , not TWRP as flashing method!

Comment

That is informative, thanks. And vexing!

So, currently, no alternative to a fresh install. As you say, we have the "Lazarus" method - the SD card way.

Comment

This explains everything: TWRP backup excludes some folders. That's why we can not use it as a flashing method!

Comment

Can you post a recovery.log after a backup ?

Tapatalked
                    if [ $up.post.type = $type.two.lazy.to_use_google ] || [ $up.post.type = $type.silly_question ];
                    then mv $user.contact.up.post /.trash; set response($response.type = ignore);
                    $user.up.post.ignore_in_future = true; fi;

Comment

Originally posted by abdul_pt View Post
                      Can you post a recovery.log after a backup ?

Tapatalked
                      Where can I find it?

Comment

I delete the content of this message .
                        Last edited by frhdt007; 01-08-2015, 03:18.

Comment

Preferred Method for TWRP Backup

Dear Bob,

I installed TWRP on my Draco as per your, now what is the next step?

As I understood, you can't write a full system backup to the internal SD, so you want me to purchase a 32GB USB 3.0 stick to write the image to?

That will work on the USB 3.0/OTG port on the back of the Draco?

Thanks again!

Gary

Comment

Originally posted by 140hours View Post
                            Dear Bob,

I installed TWRP on my Draco as per your, now what is the next step?

As I understood, you can't write a full system backup to the internal SD, so you want me to purchase a 32GB USB 3.0 stick to write the image to?

That will work on the USB 3.0/OTG port on the back of the Draco?

Thanks again!

Gary
                            Well, I ordered a 32GB USB 3.0 Flash drive, for delivery tomorrow, so I'm all set to make a full backup, just need the steps to take care of the job!

Thanks, Bob!

Gary

Comment

Originally posted by 140hours View Post
                              Well, I ordered a 32GB USB 3.0 Flash drive, for delivery tomorrow, so I'm all set to make a full backup, just need the steps to take care of the job!

Thanks, Bob!

Gary
                              Just follow the instructions on the first page.

Comment

Can you do a backup and post the log ? and by post i mean like a pastebin link. I need to check something.
                                if [ $up.post.type = $type.two.lazy.to_use_google ] || [ $up.post.type = $type.silly_question ];
                                then mv $user.contact.up.post /.trash; set response($response.type = ignore);
                                $user.up.post.ignore_in_future = true; fi;

Comment

Working...
                                X