is this box worth getting?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i dont mind if it it will be a couple of months for bug fixes etc, but is the hardware worth the price? and will it have good XBMC support? thanks

Originally posted by leo5111 View Post
    i dont mind if it it will be a couple of months for bug fixes etc, but is the hardware worth the price? and will it have good XBMC support? thanks

I would say it is an excellent box for the price.
    Mine arrived a few hours ago and I have backed up my Tronsmart S89 via Titanium Backup, and copied the Kodi user folder over to the new box and everything is working very well.
    There are some people here who have issues with XBMC and android in general. I haven't had issues since early days of my CS918 box... Tronsmart s89 was perfect and I am guessing this one will be too.

I will report again, but yes, this is a great box. To top the great hardware is the fact it will support Android TV. Whether we can then install any Android app like we can on most other android boxes is a different matter, but at the moment all seems very rosy.

Mark.
    Out: USB audio, HDMI
    In: Logitech K400 keyboards

Comment

Originally posted by leo5111 View Post
      After my Tronsmart R28 Pro crapped out on me, i finally decided on getting this box. Ordered today, I should have it by the end of the week. (Spec wise, its really great deal. I hope its the same when it comes to actual usage). BTW, i dont use XBMC on my android tv boxes anymore, i use SPMC, it works a lot better. Its being developed specifically for Android by one of the XBMC developers. You can get it from the Play store.
      Tronsmart Draco Meta - Finless ROM
      Samsung Galaxy Note 3 - KnoxRaid ROM
      Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 Edition - xKat v3.2.1 ROM
      Tronsmart R28 Orion - Stock (not working)

Comment

a lot of things that don't work on my tronsmart vega seem to work on the draco which is great. The hardware is also great. You might want to wait to see how well android tv works on it before spending the 150/200$ on it though.
        Tronsmart Vega S89 Elite Amlogic S802 with finless2.0

Tronsmart Draco AW80 Meta Allwinner A80 Octa Core finless1.0

Comment

Originally posted by thegergz View Post
          a lot of things that don't work on my tronsmart vega seem to work on the draco which is great. The hardware is also great. You might want to wait to see how well android tv works on it before spending the 150/200$ on it though.
          Perosnally I am not interested in Android TV or find anything interesting about it. XBMC/SPMC and netflix is what i use the most on daily bases. I need a quick device, that plays HD content well and can also act as a Samba server for my home network since i have multiple multi-terabyte drives connected to it.

Comment

btw what things dont work on your vega?

Comment

i have a feeling netflix quality will be better on google tv
              Tronsmart Vega S89 Elite Amlogic S802 with finless2.0

Tronsmart Draco AW80 Meta Allwinner A80 Octa Core finless1.0

Comment

Originally posted by s3ntrax View Post
                :
                BTW, i dont use XBMC on my android tv boxes anymore, i use SPMC, it works a lot better. Its being developed specifically for Android by one of the XBMC developers. You can get it from the Play store.
                Not only for Android, but most for RockChip devices...

Originally posted by no_spam_for_me View Post
                :
                BTW:
                SPMC doesn't work (nice video output )
                [ATTACH=CONFIG]9645[/ATTACH]
                :
                BTW:
                KODI final has problems to seek at timeline, Fast Forward, Rewind and chapter jumps but at stock KODI (14.0-ALPHA3-Git.2014-10-22-7b96c27-dirty) no problem... (it's up to the KODI dev's to fix it)
                You can use final and stock KODI parallel (because of org.xbmc.kodi and org.xbmc.xbmc)
                Originally posted by spideymon View Post
                Yeah the only way to skip forward is to pause and then pull the timeline indicator forward a couple times....very sluggish. then push play again...like old time VCR...sheesh.
                :
                Attached Files
                RK3288 Devices
                - Overview BOX (LINK !)
                - Overview STICK (Dongle) (LINK !)

MINIX NEO: Z64 W/A - (Intel Z3735F); X8-H Plus - (Amlogic S812H); A2 Lite (sponsored by minix.com.hk)
                UGOOS UT3S (4/32GB with fan) - FW 2.0.6 - (RK3288) (sponsored by GearBest.com)
                Tronsmart Draco AW80 Meta (2/16GB) - FW v2.0rc3 - (Allwinner A80) (sponsored by GeekBuying.com)
                Beelink / UBOX R89 - FW 111k4110_1219 - (RK3288) (sponsored by Netxeon (Beelink))

RK3188: pcb => "CH001 1332 TN-BX09_V2.1" (K-R42 / CS918...) => wasser KK 1.0.3 (old rev)
                Fly Mouse Mini Wireless Keyboard with 2 mode learning IR remote 'iPazzPort KP-810-16'

Comment

Not only for Android, but most for RockChip devices...
                  Thanks for the info. I guess I'll use stock Kodi when i get it. I usually use SPMC because i always had problems with fast forwarding and seeking on my previous boxes whenever I used XBMC

Comment

i have a feeling netflix quality will be better on google tv
                    I don't have an Allwinner box but with my AMLogic S802 box, that is clearly the case for me. I can't get the Android mini PC to play the example video 23.976 with embedded bitrate meter above 1750kbps and 720x480, Google TV quickly ramps up to 5700kbps and 1920x1080. I don't know if any of these boxes are good for the mainstream streaming sources, HBO GO, Google Play Movies, Vudu, YouTube, etc. are all subpar for me based on my early tests.

On the other hand as an inexpensive mini PC, I like mine a lot. I am only in the beginning of understanding how to use XBMC and I suspect that is where these boxes may shine. Early tests using the box as a Plex client and PlayOn client don't make me think it will be comparable to Google TV for those uses either.

Comment

NetFlix

Antroid FireTV and of couse google tv (I think also the Nexus Player) are some of the few (or maybe the ones) of the Android TV boxes which are able to play HD content at Netfilx... because of Google certification because of the locked bootloader, Netflix support them to play HD content...
                      RK3288 Devices
                      - Overview BOX (LINK !)

MINIX NEO: Z64 W/A - (Intel Z3735F); X8-H Plus - (Amlogic S812H); A2 Lite (sponsored by minix.com.hk)
                      Tronsmart Draco AW80 Meta (2/16GB) - FW v2.0rc3 - (Allwinner A80) (sponsored by GeekBuying.com)
                      Beelink / UBOX R89 - FW 111k4110_1219 - (RK3288) (sponsored by Netxeon (Beelink))

RK3188: pcb => "CH001 1332 TN-BX09_V2.1" (K-R42 / CS918...) => wasser KK 1.0.3 (old rev)
                      Fly Mouse Mini Wireless Keyboard with 2 mode learning IR remote 'iPazzPort KP-810-16'

Comment

I have mixed feelings. I bought the telos and the meta on cybermonday deals not realizing this box is still in its infancy. Shoulda done my research. That being said, it runs circles around my cx-919. I love my cx-919, take it on trips, plug it up to hotel tvs...screw payperview!!

I was bummed when remodroid (does anyone know of a suitable alternative that works on this box ?) would not work as i enjoy remoting into these things with my pipo u6. Im hopeful of xbmc though. When i found a way to passthrough at least DD via SPDIF, I became more optimistic. This box has nice horsepower. its got excellent connectivity and it looks nice. I did fiddle with the stupid blue led by pushing it down a bit with a safety pin as it is crazy bright and i have it in my bedroom. now it has a nice blue glow.

Comment

Originally posted by spideymon View Post
                          I was bummed when remodroid (does anyone know of a suitable alternative that works on this box ?) .
                          Google tv remote works perfectly
                          Out: USB audio, HDMI
                          In: Logitech K400 keyboards

Comment

Originally posted by fredphoesh View Post
                            Google tvoremote works perfectly
                            I was looking for a total remote login solution. Kind of like remote desktop but for androids where I can use my tablet to log into my droid box. Not just a remote control app. Remodroid does this real nicely for my cx-919. But its broken for the allwinner chipl Spoke to the devloper..he said he was working on it. But I would like something now....ideas ?

Comment

If I understand you correctly, maybe

or a VNC server at the box

If I remember correctly this one was ok https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...om.schumi.vncs

and a VNC client at the other Android-device

but I have no experiences with Android-clients
                              (at PC http://www.tightvnc.com/)
                              RK3288 Devices
                              - Overview BOX (LINK !)

Comment

Working...
                              X