Tronsmart Telos AW80 Died!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tronsmart Telos AW80 Died!

My less than one year old purchased from Amazon Telos AW80 appears to have bit the dust!

I've tried everything I know to get it to power on again with its blue LED, plug - unplug, wait, pray, etc. nothing seems to work.

Also tried the reset button through the grille on its bottom panel, no dice!

I'm tired of this machine, it is my first Linux box and it was fun installing various ROMs and tweaking it, now, with developers putting out Kodi players like "The Beast", which
    install every addon for Kodi one could ever pray for, I just want a solid, fast and reliable replacement Android box for my 55" Sony LED UHD 4K tv with superfast Verizon Fios
    internet.

PLEASE list your favorite machine, I need help from my community on Freaktab to point me in the right direction!

Thank you so much!

P.S. All I need is the ability to use Kodi 16.1 with Chris' "The Beast" platform, that is basically used for entertainment and nothing more.'

BTW, I tested my power supply for the Telos with a voltmeter and it's just fine, it's the box that has the issue.

Gary Brant in New York
    Last edited by 140hours; 05-10-2016, 18:42.

I just bought this as a replacement from Amazon, it looks to me to be a huge upgrade to the Telos:

Comment

ZIDOO X9S isn't released yet.

Comment

You are right and thank you. I got anxious and ordered the wrong box, so can anyone steer me towards a great solution? Thanks again!

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by 140hours View Post
          My less than one year old purchased from Amazon Telos AW80 appears to have bit the dust!

I've tried everything I know to get it to power on again with its blue LED, plug - unplug, wait, pray, etc. nothing seems to work.

Also tried the reset button through the grille on its bottom panel, no dice!

I'm tired of this machine, it is my first Linux box and it was fun installing various ROMs and tweaking it, now, with developers putting out Kodi players like "The Beast", which
          install every addon for Kodi one could ever pray for, I just want a solid, fast and reliable replacement Android box for my 55" Sony LED UHD 4K tv with superfast Verizon Fios
          internet.

PLEASE list your favorite machine, I need help from my community on Freaktab to point me in the right direction!

Thank you so much!

P.S. All I need is the ability to use Kodi 16.1 with Chris' "The Beast" platform, that is basically used for entertainment and nothing more.'

BTW, I tested my power supply for the Telos with a voltmeter and it's just fine, it's the box that has the issue.

Gary Brant in New York

Gary

Checkout the smoothing capacitor on the pwer input section of the pcb. My Telos failed the same way as yours. So I stripped out the pcb and cooked in the oven at 210 c for 2 minutes to try and resolder any dry joint connections . This blew that capacitor can.

I replaced the capacitor and now the AW80 is working fine.

I did post this solution in the Telos forum here about 4-5 months ago. Please be careful you risk over cooking the components on the pcb, but if the box is dead what have you got to loose.

Here is the post
          [COLOR=#6A6A6A !important]02-26-2016, 11:12[/COLOR]

Hi all
          I have a Telos that died after being switched off (powered down) for a while. The box then when powered on showed no Blue light but did have some HDMI out put to my TV.
          I tried all the reset recovery methods suggested and was unable to install new software by any of the normal methods.
          Unfortunately Tronsmart and Geekbuying refused to repair the device as it was a few days over the 12 month warranty even though I offered to return the device and pay for the repair.
          So I pulled it apart and baked the PCB without the processer heatsink for 3 minutes at 200C. This destroyed the smoothing capacity on the powere inlet area of the PCB. I replaced that, which is a 220 microFarad 25volt unit. with an operating temp of 125C ( which is why it exploded.).
          While recooking the the component soldering was all bright and new looking so I think the initial problem was either a dry soldered joint or that faulty capacitor.
          Now the box powers up fine, the firmware was still fully operational and the device is working as before.
          I have the Remix OS firmware running great on this device again.

Maybe some devices have had a manufacturing fault with component soldering but the baking seems to have done the trick.

I thought I wound share my experience on this troubled device.

I take no responsibliity for any one trying this remedy,it is a risk which could completely destroy your box PCB, but I took the risk as the box was of no use to anybody and now it is alive and well so far.,

Comment

Good news! I saved a backup SD card image/ROM which is one of the latest DOVLESS. I inserted the SD card and booted the Telos with it, voila!

I also did a backup/restore off USB and all is fine now!

What I WILL do differently is instead of powering on the Telos by plugging in adapter, I'll use the Telos remote to power it on. I think those surges of power can't be doing anything good, and may prematurely kill the smoothing capacitor *(thanks Jeffben!).

I can report that the latest release of Chris B's "The Beast" for Kodi 16.1 is just amazing for those who are interested.

We have a second flatscreen HDTV downstairs, and I may consider purchasing the ZIDOO X9S when it becomes available.

Thanks again to everyone for your help!

Gary Brant in New York C

Comment

Working...
            X