This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sagert View Post
    I feel I'm going ever deeper down the rabbit hole.

I'm learning very little for the growing complexity. For example, I don't know why the data I pulled out of /dev/block/boot was bad. It supplied what seems to be good info to unpackimg until it froze. I don't know what "footer is wrong" indicates exactly. I don't know why unpackimg gave an error on the functioning stock recovery.img. I don't know why the A95X MAX doesn't operate like other TV boxes, allowing communication via USB. I don't know why the manufacturer allowed the box to be rooted, but couldn't produce a box that allowed it to be modded. I don't know why I was pointed to an archive for an app I couldn't compile. And what I have learned from this experience I'm unlikely to use again.

I can only imagine more of the same, when all I was after was to be able to install TWRP.

Thanks for all your efforts, sagert, but I don't think I will be able to install this bloody thing. Best!

Comment

Parenthesis:

I found a version TWRP 3.2.2.0 by ViT and it loaded directly from stock recovery into memory. I then tried to install the version from this thread, but TWRP 3.2.2.0 failed to flash saying the file was corrupt! (This may be the result of "footer is wrong". It didn't say.) If I had enough patience I'd try to swap the zImage, but I'll leave that to another day to think about.

Just looked inside ViT's TWRP with RAR and there was no recovery.img. Just a series of directories (etc, licence, res, sbin, system, twres).

Comment

Then why not stay with ViTMod and boot temporarily?

Comment

Originally posted by soldiaz View Post
          It seems that's what I have to do for the moment. I'd like a more stable option rather than having to load it from stock every time.

Comment

Originally posted by doktorspon View Post
            Originally posted by soldiaz
            It seems that's what I have to do for the moment. I'd like a more stable option rather than having to load it from stock every time.
            Having got everything ready to install a system image, I discovered that this version of TWRP doesn't give me the option to flash an .img file to the system partition!
            Last edited by doktorspon; 04-25-2019, 23:04.

Comment

Guest commented
              Editing a comment
              You can convert it to raw using simg2img and then flash using dd from TWRP Terminal.

Originally posted by Magendanz
            You can convert it to raw using simg2img
            simg2img system.ing new-system.img -> "Bad Magic"! Your guess is probably better than mine.

Comment

Originally posted by Magendanz
            Are you using the right version for your OS? https://github.com/rkhat2/android-rom-repacker/releases
            Your suggestion of directly loading the ROM into the system partition seems like a great idea, but I am not set up to be able to use uncompiled material.

That's why I gave up with sagert's suggestions, another uncompiled pile from GitHub. There is very little Windows stuff for doing the job you've indicated I need to do to get the ROM into a state so I can dd it. I may as well throw this TV box out for all the wasted effort I've put into trying to make it functional for what I want.

(I'm tired of the obtuse lack of simplicity involved in Windows systems, but now this stuff is far worse. I don't understand why the development community hasn't forced the construction of a platform with a standard interface that all hardware must support, so that you don't have hundreds of little projects all struggling to deal with the diversity of Android devices, but one basic recovery and a far reduced set of parameters to consider for more significant development. Dealing with this unnecessary complexity is a terribly wasteful use of people's skills. And as a consequence those who don't have time to enter the arcane complexity are functionally excluded from having control over their own devices. Just consumers.)

Comment

• trebor
              trebor commented
              Editing a comment
              Answer to your question:
              How long does a person have to wait between edits of a post? That seems to be the only variable operating here. If I edit too quickly this software has a fit. What's wrong with re-editing a post that causes such fascist software behavior:

You pay for what you get is all i can say

It just happens to the odd person at various times.

Hi ,

best to wait 5min , but for sure more then 1 min , i already had similar Problems with under

1 min , hope it helps / gefattern

Comment

Originally posted by gefattern View Post
              Hi ,

best to wait 5min , but for sure more then 1 min , i already had similar Problems with under

1 min , hope it helps / gefattern
              Thanks. I guess I'll just have to restrain myself. Beat the cat instead.

Comment

• gefattern
                gefattern commented
                Editing a comment
                Hi , please do not beat your Cat , i have two , Cats are good for us , gefattern

Sorry but I can't find any working link for q201 twrp recovery, someone can help me?
              thanks

Comment

This one works universally: TWRP S905-S912

Comment

This one works universally: TWRP S905-S912
                  Sorry, but it doesn't work universally. On the A95X MAX I get the cursed "footer is wrong" error message that no-one can explain when trying to run it from stock recovery, although ViT's TWRP 3.2.2 runs from stock recovery.

Comment

Ok, so mine does not work but this one ViT's TWRP 3.2.2 can be launched through stock recovery, right?

Comment

Ok, so mine does not work but this one ViT's TWRP 3.2.2 can be launched through stock recovery, right?
                      The file you linked to may work on most TV boxes. I've found that the A95X MAX is a problematic device regarding firmware in general. TWRP S905-S912 may be fine for everything but mine.

And yes, ViT's TWRP 3.2.2 worked on my box via stock recovery. It has a few problems: 1) I can't install it, so that it replaces stock recovery, 2) there's no access to the system partition and 3) the reboot feature doesn't work (you have to use the terminal and send the instruction "reboot".)

Comment

Last edited by nikanuka; 06-19-2019, 15:48.

Comment

Working...
                        X