Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need to update - but how to proceed...help, please ?? (MXQ_dz)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need to update - but how to proceed...help, please ?? (MXQ_dz)

I've got an MXQ TV Box that is under a year old & it has always been just fine; all its been used for is to watch shows via Kodi.
    Lately the need for a newer version of Kodi has reared its head & I am uncertain about what to do.
    I cannot afford a new box right now, that much is certain.

Searching all around I've found info about versions of Kodi 17 that run on boxes with Kitkat, small mentions of updating the f/w to a newer version, and so on.

The box came from Amazon & I'd post more info about it, but the sales page for it is gone now - so here is what I am able to get:
    MXQ_dz
    M201c_dz_MXQ
    ARM V7l
    Cortex A5
    Kodi 16.0
    Android 4.4.2

I remain curious about all the S-numbers I see posted here & have no way to know what they refer to or how to find out which of those is in my TV Box ??

Will some of the helpful folks here please help & guide me to bringing this box more up to date so that it will function more like it did before ??

Thanks.

I don't own this box. You may want to look in to LibreELEC/OpenELEC by users like balbes150 and kszaq. Some Kodi 17 variants exist, don't know about it on S805 though.
    I'd post some links, but on phone now and it is a PITA. :-)

Also may want to look in to FTMC, said to run well on Android 4.x.x. It is Kodi 16 based.

Good luck.

Comment

Thanks Very Much for such a helpful reply RISCy Dude !!

I will look more into what you've suggested.

It would really help me alot if someone would please explain just what S805 means as well as how I can tell which model of box has which S number ??
      I have asked before, and it seems like it is assumed that everyone knows what this means - but I haven't a clue ?!?

Thanks Again.

Comment

Its the cpu for the box.... Like celeron for main boards pc... Just use Ftmc youll be fine on software you have un install kodi you have then install Ftmc work perfect older boxes.
        Many devices now mk902ii/Shield/Mk68 /Ugoos/neox5/minix5 (yes they still work lol) mk80 no it doesnt work lol.

Comment

To expand some....Usually SoCs with S preceding a three digit number are made by the AMLogic company. S805 is the System On Chip or SoC. This defines the CPU, GPU and other components that make up the SoC. If you look up Amlogic S805, you will find it is a quad-core SoC of a specific ARM type processor(A7, A53, etc). The S805 will be the same SoC no matter which box it is in. Other S varieties simply define different SoCs(CPU, GPU, etc) with different ARM type of processor and likely different GPU and capabilities. With some SoCs, some variations may exist with a suffix like -h. Generally as the SXXX number goes higher, performance or capabilities will be greater. Also as the number goes up(S812, S905, S912, etc), newer versions of Android will be supported. Firmwares are not compatible between different SoCs or even devices with the same SoC.
          And then there are RKXXXX, like RK3288, these SoCs are made by the Rockchip company. But like AMLogic, the higher the number usually indicates higher performance and additional capabilities.

FYI, ARM processors are RISC based processors. Reduced Instruction Set Computing(er). Google RISC vs CISC. CISC is Complex Instruction Set Computing(er), i.e. Intel X86, etc. For more on this, see here.

Comment

One Question if its simple instructions why do they always screw it up Risc yyyyyy buisness id say.
            Many devices now mk902ii/Shield/Mk68 /Ugoos/neox5/minix5 (yes they still work lol) mk80 no it doesnt work lol.

Comment

Originally posted by scooter2014 View Post
              One Question if its simple instructions why do they always screw it up Risc yyyyyy buisness id say.
              Good question.
              Why indeed.

Comment

Great info - Thanks Folks !!

Several more questions, if I may, please ??

How does one get the box to tell which SoC number it has, please ??
                (I have CPU-Z in that box, and it told me some of what I posted in the OP - but NOT the SoC !!)

I have seen Ftmc mentioned in two places besides right here...one said 'not recommended' (but not why ??), the other called it a great solution - baffling to me ?!?

I did see that it needs for Kodi to be uninstalled 1st and then install Ftmc; if I copy (or just leave ??) my org.xbmc.xbmc directory, will it re-use my settings, add-ons & library - OR:
                Can I just backup & re-copy that after installing it to get all that stuff back as its been ??

Thanks Again - now actually looking forward to watching shows sometime soon !!!

Comment

Working...
                X