Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Overheating Mecool M8s Pro L and Pro + (and others ?) - Options ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by P.X View Post
    Interesting to see how you get on with real 4K files.
    I tried do do some testing with a 4K movie file I have, but it is too variable to use for comparisons, hence the use of StressCPU for my tests.

Kodi did run massively hot especially at 60Hz.

Cheap box (with L1Widevine) + $5 in parts, and a bit of time & effort - vs - Expensive box

Take your pick ...
    How long do you run Stress CPU for your final result?

Setting display resolution in the Android system settings to 1080p 50Hz makes a BIG difference in Kodi.

At least 20% less CPU load and 7-8°C less heat generated.

Comment

Originally posted by Jancales View Post

How long do you run Stress CPU for your final result?

Setting display resolution in the Android system settings to 1080p 50Hz makes a BIG difference in Kodi.

At least 20% less CPU load and 7-8°C less heat generated.
      Until stable temp for at least 5 minutes - Normally about 30-45 minutes

My test results (Pro + if not stated)
      e&oe

Click image for larger version  Name:	Pro+22x22x16.Vert.-StressCPU-69C-FullPower.jpg Views:	1 Size:	132.8 KB ID:	702088Click image for larger version  Name:	Pro+22x22x06.Vert-StressCPU-80C-Throttling.jpg Views:	1 Size:	144.6 KB ID:	702089

Click image for larger version  Name:	Pro+22x22x10 HS . Kodi-4K . 81C ++Throttling.jpg Views:	2 Size:	156.2 KB ID:	702090Click image for larger version  Name:	Pro+22x22x10 HS . Stress CPU . 80C.Throttling.jpg Views:	1 Size:	150.1 KB ID:	702091

Click image for larger version  Name:	Pro+22x22x10 Vert-73C-StressCPU-FullPower.jpg Views:	1 Size:	129.1 KB ID:	702092Click image for larger version  Name:	Pro+22x22x16HS + Alu+BaseHole . StressCPU . 67C Full Power.jpg Views:	1 Size:	131.8 KB ID:	702093

Click image for larger version  Name:	Pro+22x22x16-Horiz-StressCPU-80C-Throttling.jpg Views:	1 Size:	148.8 KB ID:	702094Click image for larger version  Name:	Pro+22x22x16HS + Cu+BaseHole . StressCPU . 66C @Full Power.jpg Views:	1 Size:	134.7 KB ID:	702095

Click image for larger version  Name:	Pro+40x40x13HS . StressCPU . 70C @Full Power.jpg Views:	1 Size:	124.4 KB ID:	702096Click image for larger version  Name:	Pro+40x40x11HS . StressCPU . 72C @Full Power.jpg Views:	1 Size:	125.4 KB ID:	702098

Click image for larger version  Name:	Pro+22x22x16HS + Alu+BaseHole . Kodi-4K . 78C Slight Throttling.jpg Views:	1 Size:	172.8 KB ID:	702097Click image for larger version  Name:	Pro+40x40x11-Vert-66C-StressCPU-FullPower.jpg Views:	1 Size:	132.3 KB ID:	702099

Click image for larger version  Name:	Pro+28x28x20-Mx2Paste-LidHole-SressCPU-67C.jpg Views:	1 Size:	129.1 KB ID:	702100Click image for larger version  Name:	ProL-28x28x06+CuBHole+28x28x20Pad-73CFullPower.jpg Views:	1 Size:	135.0 KB ID:	702101

Click image for larger version  Name:	ProL-28x28x06HS + Cu+BaseHole . StressCPU . 80C -Throttling.jpg Views:	1 Size:	155.9 KB ID:	702102Click image for larger version  Name:	ProL-28x28x06HS.StressCPU.80C ++Throttling.jpg Views:	1 Size:	143.6 KB ID:	702103

Click image for larger version  Name:	ProL-28x28x06+CuHole+40x40x11--StressCPU-78C-Fullpower.jpg Views:	1 Size:	137.1 KB ID:	702104Click image for larger version  Name:	ProL-28x28x06HS+30mmFan . StressCPU . 67C MaxCPU.jpg Views:	1 Size:	130.0 KB ID:	702105

Click image for larger version  Name:	ProL-28x28x20+CuPlate-StressCPU-70-FullPower.jpg Views:	1 Size:	120.2 KB ID:	702106Click image for larger version  Name:	ProL-40x40x11+CU-Kodi.4K.24.60Hz-65C-FullPower.jpg Views:	2 Size:	181.0 KB ID:	702107

e&oe
      YMMV

Comment

Test files

For Ultra HD (4K) Videos, it looks like the new BD spec calls for 10-Bit H.265 encoding and allows for a maximum bitrate of 128 Mbps. I'm not entirely sure whether this is just for video, audio and video combined, or the total allowable data transfer rate (audio, video, java, etc). It's probably a safe bet that, if your media player can play the 140 Mbps Jellyfish File, you should be good to go for UHD rips.

Comment

Does anyone ever play full 2 hours movie with bit rate 25Mbps and above just like in normal BluRay or uhd 4k? 

Doing test with jellyfish videos is rather useless as temperature problem worsen with the longer the video. 

Is this widespread problem with Pro L and Pro plus or just few people having the problem? 

Comment

Originally posted by kmnnk View Post
            Does anyone ever play full 2 hours movie with bit rate 25Mbps and above just like in normal BluRay or uhd 4k?Â*

Doing test with jellyfish videos is rather useless as temperature problem worsen with the longer the video.Â*

Is this widespread problem with Pro L and Pro plus or just few people having the problem?Â*

Â*
            Kodi
            select a folder and a file to play and then make a repeat one playlist in options.
            May have to back out of paused file, then left to options, go to playlist.
            I can only test a Pro L with 28x28x20HS & Cu Plate at the moment ....

Over heating is an issue if you want to play high bitrate at high refresh rate and/or you live somewhere hot

Comment

I was streaming a Netflix video two nights ago and after about 30 minutes I noticed slight hesitations, especially on scene changes where the whole screen was new. I installed a CPU temp monitor and watched a similar show last night. Same thing happened at about the same time into the video and the temp was up to 78C. That was the highest it got AFAIK. This is a Pro+ running the nano Megendanz ROM. The output from the box was 1080p (I have no idea what Netflix was streaming at). Ambient room temp was 72F.

I guess I will have to start looking into heatsinks or other solutions.

Comment

Originally posted by ehoser View Post
                I was streaming a Netflix video two nights ago and after about 30 minutes I noticed slight hesitations, especially on scene changes where the whole screen was new. I installed a CPU temp monitor and watched a similar show last night. Same thing happened at about the same time into the video and the temp was up to 78C. That was the highest it got AFAIK. This is a Pro+ running the nano Megendanz ROM. The output from the box was 1080p (I have no idea what Netflix was streaming at). Ambient room temp was 72F.

I guess I will have to start looking into heatsinks or other solutions.
                Lifting the lid and/or placing vertically is a good start for zero cost !
                Both together is the best zero cost option.

Comment

Just did a loop run of Jellyfish 140Mbps HEVC h265 10bit @60Hz

With max passive cooling hits 68C (Kodi-CPU @140-240%)
                  This equates roughly to StressCPU running on a standard Pro L
                  and getting to 80C with speed throttling to control temp.
                  i.e. You would need extra cooling to play a movie at this rate.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ProL-CUPlate+28x28x20-Kodi-Loop240Mbps60Hz-68C.jpg
Views:	491
Size:	167.1 KB
ID:	702223

Comment

Originally posted by P.X View Post

Lifting the lid and/or placing vertically is a good start for zero cost !
                    Both together is the best zero cost option.
                    I wonder if drilling a few holes in the top would help?

Edit: LOL, I scanned the QR code at the bottom of the Videostrong web page. It says "Runte Rubber Co Ltd".

Comment

I wonder if drilling a few holes in the top would help?

Edit: LOL, I scanned the QR code at the bottom of the Videostrong web page. It says "Runte Rubber Co Ltd".
                      Holes would help a bit but not as much as being vertical with lid lifted. Changing to a 22x22x15 is good because the fins are in the air flow when vertical - see graph post 1. Verticality is most helpful with taller HS.
                      Removing the lid altogether helps, but I feel an expamet grill is needed to replace it long term (or similar), oh yes, and verticality

p.s. Runte Rubber

Comment

Honestly I never seen or play movies with bitrate higher than 60Mbps. Blu ray remux is around that number, Amazon and Netflix is only around 6-16mbps for 1080p.  So I guess playing most movies online should be ok.  I'm guessing the temperature spike  is more related to the Hz. All rockchip and amlogic seem to barely can play 60hz with big stress to cpu and gpu. I wonder how long this boxes last with usage that cause such high temperature. 

Would be nice to have a box that can play movies and Netflix staying at maximum temperature 45C

Comment

does anyone know how I can display the temperature on screen in LibreELEC when videos are playing? I have installed it on a micro sdhc card and i'm going to try playing some uhd bluray iso and x265 rip files and some sample videos from LG, Sony etc.

Also if I playback the uhd files on a 1080p will the chip run at the same temp if I was to have a uhd tv connected instead?

EDIT: looks like I can play a video then back out of the video to the main menu with the video still playing then I can go to settings-system info and see the temps.

Comment

I've been using CPU Monitor by GLGJing on the Playstore. You go into settings and enable the display (forgot what they call it - floating something). It puts a green dot with the temp on the screen.

Comment

I've been using CPU Monitor by GLGJing on the Playstore. You go into settings and enable the display (forgot what they call it - floating something). It puts a green dot with the temp on the screen.
                              I'm running LibreELEC off a micro sdhc card, so can't run android apps.

Comment

Originally posted by spaceship9876 View Post

I'm running LibreELEC off a micro sdhc card, so can't run android apps.
                                Oops, I (obviously) don't know anything about LibreELEC. I thought it was based on Android.

Comment

Working...
                                X