Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Overheating Mecool M8s Pro L and Pro + (and others ?) - Options ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi. I have a fan connected to 5v and now I want to solder a resistor to decrease the voltage, since the fan is very noisy. Before I had it connected to 3.3v and it was very silent. What resistance should I buy to get the 3.3v? The characteristics of my fan are: 5v - 0.15 A

Comment

Adding an external WiFi antenna ...

Video (uploading)

Cheap 8db Dual Band seems to work best.

150mm Pigtail.

Tools and Parts
      Click image for larger version  Name:	A-Wifi-01.jpg Views:	1 Size:	110.4 KB ID:	753282
      Locate antenna connection (front Left)
      Click image for larger version  Name:	A-Wifi-02.jpg Views:	1 Size:	104.1 KB ID:	753283

Close-up - Solder here - see video.
      Click image for larger version  Name:	A-Wifi-03.jpg Views:	1 Size:	119.7 KB ID:	753285
      2mm pilot hole, then 5.5mm and file to correct shape with a flat area ...
      Click image for larger version  Name:	A-Wifi-04.jpg Views:	1 Size:	101.6 KB ID:	753286
      Inside - Flatten off the ridge as needed
      Click image for larger version  Name:	A-Wifi-05.jpg Views:	1 Size:	109.7 KB ID:	753281
      Socket with a crenelated washer
      Click image for larger version  Name:	A-Wifi-06.jpg Views:	1 Size:	105.6 KB ID:	753280
      Split washer and nut
      Click image for larger version  Name:	A-Wifi-07.jpg Views:	1 Size:	104.4 KB ID:	753279
      8db Dual Band - Nice.
      Click image for larger version  Name:	A-Wifi-08.jpg Views:	1 Size:	113.7 KB ID:	753284
      Last edited by P.X; 12-01-2018, 16:40.

Comment

Originally posted by Albertron View Post
        Hi. I have a fan connected to 5v and now I want to solder a resistor to decrease the voltage, since the fan is very noisy. Before I had it connected to 3.3v and it was very silent. What resistance should I buy to get the 3.3v? The characteristics of my fan are: 5v - 0.15 A
        Possibly 16ohm (20 or 33ohm may also work and be even quieter)

Others have used a cheap variable Buck voltage supply (about $1 or less)
        or a multi-turn variable resistor (see previous posts for details ...)
        depends what you can get locally or cheaply from the web ?
        Last edited by P.X; 12-01-2018, 20:20.

Comment

Originally posted by P.X View Post

Possibly 16ohm (20 or 33ohm may also work and be even quieter)

Others have used a cheap variable Buck voltage supply (about $1 or less)
          or a multi-turn variable resistor (see previous posts for details ...)
          depends what you can get locally or cheaply from the web ?
          Thanks! I will use 33ohm resistor. I prefer it to be as quiet as possible.

Comment

Originally posted by Albertron View Post

Thanks! I will use 33ohm resistor. I prefer it to be as quiet as possible.
            All my fans have worked OK at 2.5V nominal, but some may not spin up ! Fingers crossed for a nice quiet fan.

Comment

Hi all,

I don't think it was mentioned before, but regarding having quiet fan - i took option to install 12V fan and connect it to switched 5V on USB port. For example, i used this fan: https://www.chipoteka.hr/artikl/141462/ventilator-12v-40x10-mm-sunon-ee40101s11000u999-2440001952 , and without any resistor.
              Fan has operating voltage starging from 4.5V, so on 5V it will spin slowely and very quietly, which is sufficient for cooling even with stock cooler on the processor.

Before fan, i had idle temperatur of ~51C (ambient 23C), and when watching 2160p it peaked at ~69C (this is with holes on the top side of the case). With fan, idle temp is 29C and watching 2160p around 35C.

Fan is very quiet, you can hear it faintly only from 15cm away.

br,k.

Comment

Originally posted by s_i_z_o View Post
                Hi all,

I don't think it was mentioned before, but regarding having quiet fan - i took option to install 12V fan and connect it to switched 5V on USB port. For example, i used this fan: https://www.chipoteka.hr/artikl/141462/ventilator-12v-40x10-mm-sunon-ee40101s11000u999-2440001952 , and without any resistor.
                Fan has operating voltage starging from 4.5V, so on 5V it will spin slowely and very quietly, which is sufficient for cooling even with stock cooler on the processor.

Before fan, i had idle temperatur of ~51C (ambient 23C), and when watching 2160p it peaked at ~69C (this is with holes on the top side of the case). With fan, idle temp is 29C and watching 2160p around 35C.

Fan is very quiet, you can hear it faintly only from 15cm away.

br,k.
                Hi,
                Thanks for info. Finding a 12V that spins up at 5V is a good solution. Not all work, so always good to get info on any that do.
                Good result.
                Thanks

Comment

I have replaced quite few heat sinks on the M8S pro+ S905X box since this thread emerged.

The last lot of boxes I received had a larger heat sink than the previous ones, more rigid aluminium as well, but yet not good enough.

I notice that the surface of the processor on this last lot is much rougher. Could this mean that the Chinese are now using knock off Amlogic processors?

On another note, I use 5V fan, and find lots of 3.5V sources on the pcb, but they all remain active when box switched off.

Is anyone aware of a 3.5V source that switches of with the box?

Comment

Thanks for the info.
                    Photos ?

Not found any switched 3.3V

Comment

Originally posted by P.X View Post
                      Thanks for the info.
                      Photos ?

Not found any switched 3.3V
                      Think it would be very difficult to distinguish the difference from a photo, but since you have replaced quite a few heat sinks yourself, you will know that the processor surface is always very smooth.

With this lot not anymore, and it is also very difficult to clean the thermal paste from the processor for that reason.

If you mean the heat sink, this is the one they use now

Attached Files

Comment

Thanks.
                        Strange the newer SOC are rough !
                        That would not seem usual ...

Comment

P.X Just received the fist lot of Pro LB, noticed it has a steel plate mounted under the PCB. Don't know this has always been as never had Pro L.

Wanted to fit 40x40x11 heat sink but noticed the lid can't be properly closed then.

Is this normal or is this something that has changed?

Comment

Originally posted by Jancales View Post
                            P.X Just received the fist lot of Pro LB, noticed it has a steel plate mounted under the PCB. Don't know this has always been as never had Pro L.

Wanted to fit 40x40x11 heat sink but noticed the lid can't be properly closed then.

Is this normal or is this something that has changed?
                            Hi,
                            Very interesting ... Never used to be a metal plate, just like the pro+ before.

I think something may have changed spacewise above board as well. I always used little rubber pads and spaced the lid to have a small gap so can't be sure, but I am pretty sure you could screw the lid on properly if you wanted too before.
                            ???
                            PiX if you can?

Comment

trebor =P.X;n766986]

Hi,
                              Very interesting ... Never used to be a metal plate, just like the pro+ before.

I think something may have changed spacewise above board as well. I always used little rubber pads and spaced the lid to have a small gap so can't be sure, but I am pretty sure you could screw the lid on properly if you wanted too before.
                              ???
                              PiX if you can?[/QUOTE]

I did make a hole in thee bas already to mount my fan underneath, and fitted a 50 x 35 x 10 heat sink which allowed me to close the lid

By the way @ trebor I don't receive notifications anymore from replies to subscribed posts.

You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 2 photos.

Comment

Any moods for the m8s pro w?

Comment

Working...
                                X