Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Overheating Mecool M8s Pro L and Pro + (and others ?) - Options ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mirbg View Post

Yes, as long as you solder it on the underside of the PCB, at 5V on the one of the USB's.
    Does your 5V USB turn off when box is in OFF Mode ? Mine doesn't ???
    (EDIT : Pro L)
    Last edited by P.X; 02-09-2018, 15:01.

Comment

Mine does..., but I don't have the "L" version, just a regular PRO.
      Last edited by mirbg; 02-09-2018, 13:57.

Comment

Originally posted by mirbg View Post
        Mine does..., but I don't have the "L" version, just a regular PRO.
        Ah, different me thinks !

Comment

Originally posted by P.X View Post

Are you worried about noise ? The waste of energy ? Wear and tear on the fan bearings ??

Noise is not a worry if you use a 5V fan at 3.3V, at least the one I got.
          Energy is vanishingly small, much less than most standby current.
          Wear and tear would be my only concern.

You could use a radio remote power socket switch.
          Often come in packs of 3 or 4 but a pack of 2 can be found for about £10 I think.

If you can find a power line on the board which is switched then someone could probably design a simple FET/transistor switch to put in line with the fan !!!

Otherwise some passive options are detailed early on ....
          remote power socket Switch is good idea. Thanks
          One more question. Where do I have to solder the fan cables exactly?
          Can someone upload a photo to see where it is exactly?
          I have the pro L
          Last edited by Albertron; 02-09-2018, 22:45.

Comment

Fan connected to UART pads.
            Square Pad is -ve

Pro L with a 40x40x11 HS Mounted Diamond Style
            Click image for larger version  Name:	ProL-40x40x11-LidOffShot_Pro.jpg Views:	1 Size:	112.7 KB ID:	701902

OK
            e&oe

Comment

Fan connected to UART pads.
              Square Pad is -ve

Pro L with a 40x40x11 HS Mounted Diamond Style
              Click image for larger version Name:	ProL-40x40x11-LidOffShot_Pro.jpg Views:	1 Size:	112.7 KB ID:	701902

OK
              e&oe
              Thank you very much! It is better to put the fan extracting air or blowing?

With a 30mm fan would it be enough? Will it refrigerate more one of 40 or 50mm?

Comment

Bigger fans are normally 12V and not all spin at 5V (USB pins) and fewer at 3.3V (UART pins)

My Pi 5V fan runs slowly and silently and draws air in through a large hole but will still work even with no hole as circulation is enough in a cool climate and not pushing 4K at 60Hz.

Bigger fans can be noisy and have to be mounted outside (probably).

I've posted before about the method if you don't want a hole (little pads of double thickness 15mm x 1mm 3M sticky rubber double sided tape to space away from lid)

First post has data from various fan fitting methods.

Comment

I am playing movies, both x264 and x265 hevc through the android Kodi version and every now and then the box stops working. The image just freezes like that I the only thing I can do is unplug the power cable to get it working again. Is this normal? Or do I have a faulty box and need a replacement?

Comment

Bigger fans are normally 12V and not all spin at 5V (USB pins) and fewer at 3.3V (UART pins)

My Pi 5V fan runs slowly and silently and draws air in through a large hole but will still work even with no hole as circulation is enough in a cool climate and not pushing 4K at 60Hz.

Bigger fans can be noisy and have to be mounted outside (probably).

I've posted before about the method if you don't want a hole (little pads of double thickness 15mm x 1mm 3M sticky rubber double sided tape to space away from lid)

First post has data from various fan fitting methods.
                    OK, Thank you very much for the help. And Sorry for my english.

Comment

Originally posted by Freaking View Post
                      I am playing movies, both x264 and x265 hevc through the android Kodi version and every now and then the box stops working. The image just freezes like that I the only thing I can do is unplug the power cable to get it working again. Is this normal? Or do I have a faulty box and need a replacement?
                      I have also had a freeze, when I was watching through kodi an HD channel of my vu + solo2. The TV box was at 80 degrees Celsius. So I guess it's the fault of overheating.

Comment

Originally posted by Freaking View Post
                        My box does the same thing. I have it on a voice controlled switch, so I tell Google to turn it off and on. Not a great solution, but it works.
                        MK818B, T428, ATV 1220, CS918S, TV01, S89H, R89, ADT-1, MK808B Plus, MINIX X8-H Plus, Tronsmart Orion R68

Comment

+ The Pro L

M8S Pro Cool Family

Click image for larger version

Name:	M8S-Pro-CoolFamily1_Pro.jpg
Views:	636
Size:	111.2 KB
ID:	705448
                          How have you made the round holes? What tool have you used to make them?

Comment

Originally posted by Albertron View Post

How have you made the round holes? What tool have you used to make them?
                            38mm Hole Saw for the round ones.
                            Craft knife (after drilling 4 x 6mm holes, one at each corner) for the square one.

Hole saw and arbor

Name:	images.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	8.2 KB
ID:	708281
                            Attached Files

Comment

38mm Hole Saw for the round ones.
                              Craft knife (after drilling 4 x 6mm holes, one at each corner) for the square one.

Hole saw and arbor

Name:	images.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	8.2 KB
ID:	708281
                              P.X Which apk you use for the cpu stress test please?

Comment

Originally posted by Jancales View Post

P.X Which apk you use for the cpu stress test please?
                                Stress CPU

Comment

Working...
                                X