Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Overheating Mecool M8s Pro L and Pro + (and others ?) - Options ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi, I added a 80mm fan @ 2000 rpm tied in it's delivery cardboard box under my M8S Pro L.
    CPU temp shutdown is 20/25 °C playing a 1080 6500kbps video (35 to 37 in idle, 42 to 46 playing 6500 kbps 1080mkv, ambiant temp 21°C. Was 45 to 50 in idle and 65 to 70 playing the video)
    The fan is plugged in on of the Mecool USB ports.
    You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 4 photos.

Comment

Originally posted by steel120 View Post
      To all:

Thanks for the nice thread. I modified my M8S Pro -w just recently.

I have posted it under the M8S Pro -w with voice with photo's and some reported Temperatures.
      I used the 30mm x 30mm Pi fan also. Connected to the USB +- direct soldered.

I just received the M8S Pro -L with voice and for a temp solution.
      80mm x80mm 12vdc fan with a usb plug...plugged directly into usb port.
      Blowing in from the bottom. Temperatures seem to be max of 50-51C no matter what stream
      Idle is about 40-43C.

I will modify the - L like I did on the -W after some burn in time of the L.

Cool
      Your post in W thread

Comment

Originally posted by fandango-fr View Post
        Hi, I added a 80mm fan @ 2000 rpm tied in it's delivery cardboard box under my M8S Pro L.
        CPU temp shutdown is 20/25 °C playing a 1080 6500kbps video (35 to 37 in idle, 42 to 46 playing 6500 kbps 1080mkv, ambiant temp 21°C. Was 45 to 50 in idle and 65 to 70 playing the video)
        The fan is plugged in on of the Mecool USB ports.
        Cool 2

Comment

Originally posted by P.X View Post
          Close-up Power Points !

Note: Lots of 0V points - e.g. metal port shrouds !!

Topside - Click for Larger
          Click image for larger version

Name:	Pro+Power-Pads1.jpg
Views:	412
Size:	145.9 KB
ID:	714938

Underside - Click for Larger

Name:	Pro+Power-Pads2.jpg
Views:	336
Size:	162.4 KB
ID:	714939
          Can you explain in a tutorial where did you connect the fan wires to in the end as there were many options you tried. I am asking regarding the 5V installation with no switch since I don't have one.

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by korgix300 View Post

Can you explain in a tutorial where did you connect the fan wires to in the end as there were many options you tried. I am asking regarding the 5V installation with no switch since I don't have one.

Thanks
            Use either USB +5V and any 0V

Comment

hi, I ordered m8s pro l yesterday and then read this topic. if I am not going to play 3d games and just watch 720/1080p video, do I need to do something like changing heatsink? I gave 75 bucks and will recieve a not working unit? Or you do this just because you like it?

Comment

Originally posted by artouiros View Post
                hi, I ordered m8s pro l yesterday and then read this topic. if I am not going to play 3d games and just watch 720/1080p video, do I need to do something like changing heatsink? I gave 75 bucks and will recieve a not working unit? Or you do this just because you like it?
                Hi,

You will probably be OK. May depend on your climate as well.
                Install CPU Temp app and check for your usage and ambient temperature.
                If needed a cheap USB fan will help and requires little work. See posts in this thread.
                Simply putting the box on it's side will help and is a free upgrade to the air flow.

Comment

Hi,

You will probably be OK. May depend on your climate as well.
                  Install CPU Temp app and check for your usage and ambient temperature.
                  If needed a cheap USB fan will help and requires little work. See posts in this thread.
                  Simply putting the box on it's side will help and is a free upgrade to the air flow.
                  Well, I am in Central Europe, I don't know if it's cold or warm for this box. I am very nervous now, because after I ordered it I started reading this thread. I don't get how do you achieve 80C temps? Are you runing some ultra blu ray? Or this box was designed bad? I don't get why it's still selling on GB and even a Promo thread here, if I'd be freaktab admin I will never let freaktab promo such garbage (if it is,. I am still waiting for mine)

Comment

I have two "L" boxes, one with the Bluetooth Voice and one without. They do run hot, but have not had any heat issues that I am aware of, and I am running the Voice version just as it cam out of the box. For the first week or two, the one with Voice was solid as a rock, but now I get some freezes, occasionally. I have not taken the time to figure out what is causing the freezes but I am running lots of different apps, including the Kodi Beta, which is probably causing the lock ups. At this time, I Would not get worried that you may get a bad box.
                    MK818B, T428, ATV 1220, CS918S, TV01, S89H, R89, ADT-1, MK808B Plus, MINIX X8-H Plus, Tronsmart Orion R68

Comment

It takes 10 minutes and costs less than 10$ to cool this box (without disassembling it or drill holes, that kind of things), even if summers are very hot where you live. Don't worry.

Comment

Use either USB +5V and any 0V
                        The pics are all M8S Pro+ can you show pics for 5V and 0V on the M8SPRo L board please? Also how did you get the board off the housing as it seems it is hot glued?

Thanks
                        Last edited by korgix300; 03-26-2018, 18:16.

Comment

Originally posted by clarkss12 View Post
                          I have two "L" boxes, one with the Bluetooth Voice and one without. They do run hot, but have not had any heat issues that I am aware of, and I am running the Voice version just as it cam out of the box. For the first week or two, the one with Voice was solid as a rock, but now I get some freezes, occasionally. I have not taken the time to figure out what is causing the freezes but I am running lots of different apps, including the Kodi Beta, which is probably causing the lock ups. At this time, I Would not get worried that you may get a bad box.
                          The freezes you are getting is temperature.

Comment

The freezes you are getting is temperature.
                            I don't think my freezes are from the heat issue, I believe it is something to do with the drivers, but not positive.
                            MK818B, T428, ATV 1220, CS918S, TV01, S89H, R89, ADT-1, MK808B Plus, MINIX X8-H Plus, Tronsmart Orion R68

Comment

The pics are all M8S Pro+ can you show pics for 5V and 0V on the M8SPRo L board please? Also how did you get the board off the housing as it seems it is hot glued?

Thanks
                              PCB is attached to the base by 2 screws - One probably has a small security label on it. You have to break it to remove the screw unless you try a hair dryer or heat gun to heat and then lift the tiny Tamper-proof sticker !!!

USB sockets are the same on the L as the Plus.
                              +5V is the pad nearer the power-input socket.
                              0V is all over the place - Just pick one or use a shroud on the top of the board ?

Name:	M8S-L.Screws2.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	163.5 KB
ID:	716518

Name:	M8S-L-5V.Power-Under1.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	140.9 KB
ID:	716519

Comment

New top-side 5V power supply