X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

VIM3L New Possibilities for DIY-HTPC Enthusiasts KHADAS

More Info Click the link below

https://www.khadas.com/vim3l?utm_cam...m=mail&cid=%24 %7BCONTACT_ID%7D
    Last edited by RISCy Dude; 09-05-2019, 06:04.
    treboR
    Please consider
    Donating to Freaktab

Looks nice, but whats the pricing?

I hypothesize Khadas is going to be asking around $80 minimum.

If they do a kit special, like include case, heatsink, and fan; and still keep the price under $100 this unit would be a good deal. S905D3 is same as S905X3, just configured to handle extra peripherals and ports.

Comment

Well unsure at this stage.
      They normally like to do a bit of a deal on new released products,
      If it happens it will happen here
      treboR
      Please consider
      Donating to Freaktab

Comment

The first is the bare-board option, with Android 9.0 (Pie) pre-installed. This is the best option for developers, and for those who just want the most basic SBC.

The second option is the "HTPC Kit". This has CoreELEC (Kodi) pre-installed, so you can get started consuming your media right out of the box!

More can be found KHADAS <<Click
        treboR
        Please consider
        Donating to Freaktab

Comment

My guess was pretty spot on, HTPC kit normal price is $80 lol. Odd note, the webpage says they include the bottom Metal Plate with HTPC option, which helps passive cooling and just looks cool, but read further down and it says the HEAT PAD (thermal pad) is not included, a two dollar option, but still if their including the Metal Plate it should also come with the HeatPad, don't you think....

Comment

I did it with one of my 3399 khadas boxes all helps,
            Not that expensive..
            treboR
            Please consider
            Donating to Freaktab

Comment

Originally posted by RiCkLaR_atvX View Post
              My guess was pretty spot on, HTPC kit normal price is $80 lol. Odd note, the webpage says they include the bottom Metal Plate with HTPC option, which helps passive cooling and just looks cool, but read further down and it says the HEAT PAD (thermal pad) is not included, a two dollar option, but still if their including the Metal Plate it should also come with the HeatPad, don't you think....
              It does look like a potentially popular piece of kit, although the marketing for this is all over the place.

They class it as being for the DIY HTPC (They added the DIY part in response to initial queries about why they left the 40 pin IO etc, making it exactly the same as the Vim3 apart from the lesser SOC).

But the killer flaw in the promotion is the heat pad part.

On one hand they are saying that you can get a heatsink and a metal plate for the case, only to then essentially say that these options are not likely to keep the box cool enough, requiring the added pad for piece of mind. It will come across to some as having no confidence in the default cooling solutions and whilst it only adds $2, it's still an additional cost that will seem necessary.

But from what I have read, performance is 20-25% better than S905X/X2 boxes, so some improvement.

Why oh why though are we seeing USB 2.0 as a main port in 2019?

The SOC supports 2 x USB 3.0 and this should have been the way to go with this and the Vim3.

Lost opportunity from simply replacing the SOC on the same board instead of making it an HTPC based solution to compete with all the other Android boxes out there.

And the M2X expansion board is a complete mess having to hang out of the side of the board, where an integrated M2 slot with appropriate space under the board would have made it stand out from the crowd in another big way.

I expect it to sell well though as one of the upsides of Khadas does seem that they produce decent quality boards, which in the S922x arena right now, is looking a little flaky from other vendors.
              R-TV BOX S10, Beebox N3150, Chuwi Hibox, Nvidia Shield, A95X Max

Comment

• RISCy Dude
                RISCy Dude commented
                Editing a comment
                USB port next to the LAN port is USB 3.0 by default. However, if PCIe is used, it will be 2.0.

Hello Everyone! As promised, you can now pre-order the VIM3L for a reasonable price. The pre-order period will last from 3rd September to 30th of October, and the price will gradually increase till our shipping date of 30th October. Free-shipping will be provided by China-Post! 3 - 16 Sept: $49.99 / $69.99 17 Sept to 7 Oct: $54.99 / $74.99 8 - 30 Oct: $59.99 / $79.99 To get the best deal, pre-order VIM3L from 3 - 16 September! For more details visit the VIM3L website.

I was under the impression that the metal plate goes on the bottom? Heat sink on the top? I still don't have a lot of faith in pads though. Hadn't noticed the USB 2 oh, that would be very short-sighted ... especially when being promoted 4 time shifting storage. Still not real cheap, but I'm interested, but don't work the price up to a questionable point. I wish it came with both the corelect and Android 9
              Kris....don't forget my boxes! Okay?

Comment

You should have faith in Thermal pads, they work well,
                Boot of TF card etc easy.
                Take it for what it is I say

Being the 905D3 i feel it will not have excess heat like mostly seen in the 905x range thus far
                The 3399 that i modded my case for it does help,
                The Pad was mentioned as an option not a necessity
                Last edited by trebor; 09-05-2019, 03:08.
                treboR
                Please consider
                Donating to Freaktab

Comment

Still, ++USB3 for ssd storage.
                  Booting either from SD is good for me, just request A9.pie as a option in package, I guess ??

** They claim to still be in "input" phase. ...Get Busy Friends, INPUT ! Ya know they need it.

Comment

The VIM3 has a USB port(next to LAN port), it operates as USB 3.0 or 2.0 depending on PCIe options set in the KBI, default is USB 3.0. Though the color of the port is not blue(USB3). Just speculation, but I would assume this is true for the VIM3L too. I have asked for confirmation on this. Should have something definitive soon.

VIM3L also has an M.2 slot with a single PCIe lane, so NVMe SSD(not SATA) could be used, though the Khadas M2X extension board is required for convenient drive mounting. The m.2 slot will support the drive without it, but user would have to come up with a mount.

UPDATE: USB port next to LAN socket is USB3.0 or 2.0, as described above.
                    Click image for larger version

Name:	e9829f6f03d46951721ea3f1384c271f3dcee823_2_1000x1000.jpg
Views:	389
Size:	80.4 KB
ID:	782987

Comment

VIM3L interfaces...

Click image for larger version  Name:	Interfaces-Bottom.png Views:	0 Size:	201.9 KB ID:	782996
                      Attached Files

Comment

Yeah I guess I should have known better about the USB 3 capabilities that would just about have to be a given.

yea, everybody likes to chime in:
                        Shenzhen Wesion has launched a “Khadas Vim3L” spin of the Vim3 starting at $50 with half the max RAM and eMMC that swaps out the hexa-core A311D for a quad -A55 Amlogic S905D3 with a scaled-back Mali-G31 and 1.2-TOPS NPU. Prices have also dropped on the Vim1 and Vim2. Shenzhen Wesion’s Khadas project has released a version of its open-spec, community-backed
                        Last edited by ClarkKent; 09-05-2019, 09:29.

Comment

• trebor
                          trebor commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Yes don't believe everything you read on the net...

Quick look today at the Vim3L 905d3:

Always Packed Good looks swish

Topside

The Other Side

Ports Rear

The Magic Buttons

Fan Finally arrived woo hoo

Down the Barrel, of the fan

All together and ready to Blow and Go

Baisc Android

Information, early version A9 few quirks, the screen shot information would not fade away:

Wont do to much on this Rom as it is early but on good Authority there is a SC Rom lurking about
                        So I think we will give that a whirl

More about this amazing little box of trick can be found over at the Khadas Forum,
                        Lots of goodies to be had:

KHADAS
                        treboR
                        Please consider
                        Donating to Freaktab

Comment

trebor I see AMlogic had introduction plans for a 905x3 SOC, is this essentially that chip?
                          In one of its forms, but an X3, do you think?
                          Last edited by ClarkKent; 10-22-2019, 23:22.

Comment

• trebor
                            trebor commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Its pays not to think to much about all these Chips and X3 D3 etc,
                            When it happens and in your hands and tested then worry, did you do the right thing
                        Working...
                        X