No announcement yet.

VIM3L New Possibilities for DIY-HTPC Enthusiasts KHADAS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes! Stop the music, it's coming all too fast. I wish I had your budget...
    I just get one of each. 8-
    8-)
    ​​
    Kris....don't forget my boxes! Okay?

Comment

Testing the Standard/Non ATV version another Fine Excellent Rom from SC...I think he is getting the hang of this Rom making ;D

Easy as 123 to set up and get running as usual it works

KHADAS
      Last edited by trebor; 10-23-2019, 03:45.
      treboR
      Please consider
      Donating to Freaktab

Comment

DRM INFO:

ANTUTU:

SD Card Pro:

KHADAS

A bit of a look see at the Khadas Vim3L 905D3 2/16gb
        treboR
        Please consider
        Donating to Freaktab

Comment

Not being a fan of Fans myself but often a necessary evil
          Evil being they can attract dust on the innards and Noise depending on design.

The Khadas Vim Setup with Heat Sink and Fan may fall into this area slightly with current design.
          But like all things the Khadas Vims is always a Work in Progress

I found with Fan speed set on High or Medium in settings you can hear to Inrush thru the limited space of case lid
          and the forcing of air over fins of heat sink.

Remove the Lid and the Noise Inrush noise drops a lot, a slight inrush/noise but as we have removed inrush and forced air over the fins
          we MAY not be have efficient heat dissipation.

I am about 1 meter from the 3L with lid off, and can just hear slight wire on low need to get closer to really hear it.

Looking at this maybe a new Case Lid design is required to get that noise low.

Small High speed fans Limited space etc, can often give grief.

The good thing is the 905D should not suffer from heat like 3399/912 etc.
          The Auto function in fan settings should keep it under control with ease or low or not required at all just deepens on the user usage

There is a new swish looking case design about looks very fast and maybe the solution.
          Or maybe just a new lid for the older style, Vim being a DYI kit these are things we must learn to live with.

I did some tests but could not show overlay of temps while testing
          Using Antutu Stress Test

Using CPU Temp Pure the Idle temp was about 28c how correct I don't know Antutu appears wrong room temp about 24c
          the temps for all three test varied about the same there was not a lot of variance to be seen
          Fan on fan off lid on lid off etc.

At this stage, Heat and the Vim-3L should not be a big Issue
          Each test about 5 minutes between captures

Idle

Stress Testing

Lid off fan on Low

Lid on fan Off

Lid on fan on Low

Not the most scientific test but I am no scientist
          treboR
          Please consider
          Donating to Freaktab

Comment

Some good info from CNXsoft
            https://www.cnx-software.com/2019/10...as-vim3-vim3l/

How to Use Wake-on-LAN to Power On Khadas VIM3/VIM3L SBC

Khadas VIM2, Edge and VIM3/VIM3L SBC’s all come with Wake-on-LAN (WoL) support which allows you to power on the board with a specific Ethernet packet. This is not especially useful if your board sits on a desk since you have easy access to the power button, but if you’ve placed the SBC in a cabinet, inside an enclosure without access to the power button, or in another hard-to-reach location this can be a lifesaver.

I had never tried the feature until today, so I decided to give it up a go adapting the instructions provided on Khadas Wiki. I’ll use Khadas VIM3L running Android 9.0 and sent WoL packets from my Android phone as well as an Ubuntu 18.04 laptop. Khadas VIM3L WoL Configuration

WoL is disabled by default, but it’s really easy to enable in Android 9. Go to Settings->More Settings->Device Preferences->WOL.

Khadas VIM3L WoL Settings

Make sure Wake on LAN is enabled, and note the Ethernet MAC address. Using Wake-on-LAN with an Android Smartphone

Several Android apps support Wake-on-LAN including the one from the same name available for download on Google Play.

After launching the app, click on + icon to add a new device, and scroll down to scan IP addresses from your local network. Wake-on-LAN Android App Click to Enlarge
            Select the one that corresponds to the MAC address in Khadas VIM3L settings, and edit it with a user-friendly name such as “Khadas VIM3L”. When the board is running, there will be a small green, and after turning off the board the dot will become red. So how to start the board again? Simply tap on the device and it will automatically start. It’s that simple as the video below demonstrates.

Using Wake-on-LAN from an Ubuntu Computer

We can send a magic WoL packet from the command line with wakeonlan utility follow with the MAC address as parameters:
            $ sudo apt install wakeonlan
            $ wakeonlan c8:63:14:70:43:c1
            Sending magic packet to 255.255.255.255:9 with c8:63:14:70:43:c1
            We can also do the same from a GUI with gWakeOnLan:
            sudo apt install gwakeonlan
            gwakeonlan
            It’s a bit easier to use since the program will auto-detect IP address on the LAN so you don’t need to remember or input the MAC address.

gWakeOnLan

Once you’ve added the machine, you can select it, and click on Turn On button, and you’re good.

gWakeOnLAN Machine Settings
            This program also allows you to add addresses from the Internet, so it’s possible to make Wake-on-LAN also works on the net but outside the scope of this post.
            Wake-on-LAN from a Windows Machine

I have not tested this one, but based on the info from the WiFi, you can install Wake-On-LAN Sender tool, and add your machine is a similar way to what is done in Ubuntu.

Wake-On-LAN Sender Windows

https://www.cnx-software.com/2019/10...as-vim3-vim3l/
            treboR
            Please consider
            Donating to Freaktab

Comment

Originally posted by ClarkKent View Post
              trebor I see AMlogic had introduction plans for a 905x3 SOC, is this essentially that chip?
              In one of its forms, but an X3, do you think?
              Yes, the S905D3 is a twin to the S905X3. Both chips are based on the 3rd Generation architecture of the S905X, where these new chips come with Cortex-A55 arm cores for more power and energy efficiency. The main difference between the D3 and X3 is that the D3 chip can handle extra peripherals built-in to board or attached to the board, and the X3 chip is the main chip for standard media box players with standard ports and board configurations.

Comment

Khadas' 5th Anniversary Sale:
                Save a few

Khadas

https://www.khadas.com/shop
                treboR
                Please consider
                Donating to Freaktab

Comment

Offer ends Monday, the 2nd of December!
                  Up to 20% off all SBCs (and Toneboards) via this link to Amazon: bit.ly/khadas_store

Khadas
                  treboR
                  Please consider
                  Donating to Freaktab

Comment

Something to do

You look at this PCB and may say to yourself looks to hard not sure what I should or could do
                    Well the good team of at khadas have been busy putting together a lot of information to get you more interested

Sure it may be nice to have a box you plug in and does set things
                    but
                    All the Vims give you food for thought,
                    Have a look and have a go its all a bit of fun and get that gray matter motivated

Khadas Vim
                    treboR
                    Please consider
                    Donating to Freaktab

Comment

Finally got my Vim3L in the post last week, haven't had time to play around with different ROMs yet, I got the HTPC kit, and just from unboxing the device my first impressions are that I am glad I decided to get this Khadas Vim3L; for a minute I was considering getting a Raspberry Pi4 kit instead.

trebor what size is the triangle drive tip needed to disassemble the case??? I wasn't expecting the DIY-Kit to be fully assembled, lol.

Comment

• trebor
                        trebor commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Small
                        The smallest I have goes down to a 2.0 and its smaller
                        They assembled now as some were having problems after assembly,
                        now the can build and test.

If you get more bits from Khadas let them know you did not get a Tool, they may send you one in an order

treboR
                      Please consider
                      Donating to Freaktab

Comment

Working...
                      X