No announcement yet.

Khadas VIM4 – An Amlogic A311D2 SBC with 8GB RAM, Wi-Fi 6, HDMI input & output

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We’ve just written about the Amlogic A311D2 processor with some pretty interesting features, and Khadas VIM4 will be one of the first single board computers equipped with the latest octa-core processor, succeeding the company’s earlier Khadas VIM3 board powered by an Amlogic A311D hexa-core processor.

Khadas VIM4 makes good use of the extra memory allowance with faster 8GB LPDDR4 RAM, and also offers 32GB eMMC flash, Gigabit Ethernet, WiFi 6, 4Kp60 HDMI input and output, independent USB 3.0, and PCIe (via M.2 socket) interfaces, and more.

Khadas VIM4 specifications with bold highlights showing the differences with the VIM3 Pro model:
    • SoC – Amlogic A311D2 octa-core processor with 4x Arm Cortex-A73 cores @ up to 2.2 GHz and 4x Cortex A53 cores @ up to 2.0 GHz, Arm Mali-G52 MP(8EE) GPU, NPU shown as TBD possibly due to license requirements
    • System Memory- 8GB LPDDR4X @ 2112 MHz
    • Storage – 32GB eMMC flash, 32MB SPI flash, microSD card slot
    • MCU – STMicro STM32G031 Cortex-M0+ microcontroller @ 64 MHz for power management, customizations, and boot media configuration
    • Video Outputs
      • HDMI 2.1 up to 4Kp60
      • 30-pin 0.5mm Pitch FPC Connector for 4-lane MIPI-DSI interface up to 1920 x 1080
      • eDP interface
      • LVDS and V-by-One interfaces
    • Video Input – 1x Micro HDMI port up to 4Kp60
    • Video
      • Decoding
        • 8Kp24 AV1, H.265, VP9
        • Supports multi-video decoding up to 4Kx2K@60fps + 1x1080P@60fps
        • Dolby Vision and HDR10, HDR10+, HLG, and PRIME HDR video processing
      • Encoding – 4Kp50 H.265 / H.264 60fps decoder
    • Audio – 8-ch I2S for microphone array applications over M2. connector
    • Camera – FPC connector for 2x 4-lane MIPI CSI with dual camera support; 16MP ISP
    • Connectivity
      • Gigabit Ethernet with WoL support
      • Dual-band 802.11a/b/g/n/ac/ax WiFI 6, 2X2 MIMO and Bluetooth 5.2 via Ampak 6275S module
    • USB – 1x USB 3.0 Type-A port, 1x USB 2.0 type-A port, 1x USB 2.0 OTG type-C port
    • Sensor – KXTJ3-1057 3-axis digital accelerometer
    • Expansion
      • M.2 Socket with single-lane PCIe 2.0, USB 2.0, I2S, I2C, ADC, 100M Ethernet PHY interface, GPIO, MCU_PA2
      • 40-pins 2.54mm pitch header exposing:
        • CPU signals – USB, I2C, I2S, SPDIF, UART, PWM, ADC
        • MCU signals – SWIM, NRST, PA1
    • Misc – 2x IR receivers; RTC & battery header; 4-pin cooling fan header with PWM speed control; 3x user LEDs; power, func and reset buttons; XPWR pads for an external power button
    • Power Supply – 5V to 20V via USB-C port or pogo pads
    • Dimensions – 82.0 x 58.0 x 13 mm (4x M2 mounting holes)

Bottom of Khadas VIM3 SBC
    I have not managed to obtain a photo of the bottom side of Khadas VIM4 yet, but Khadas VIM3 photo above shows where the M.2 socket, microSD card slot, as well as display and camera interfaces, should be, with obviously some extra connectors for eDP, LVDS, V-by-one, MIPI CSI… The board does not have that much space left, so I’d assume some of the display/camera interfaces are multiplexed notably LVDS and V-by-one. Just like the previous model an expansion board will be needed to connect an M.2 module. You had to choose between USB 3.0 (No PCIe) or PCIe + USB 2.0 in VIM3, but I understand that’s not the case anymore for Khadas VIM4 and it’s possible to use PCIe (M.2) and USB 3.0 at the same time.

It’s quite early to write about software support, and Khadas has yet to have published a product page with all information received by email, so I guess that’s a CNX Software exclusive!, but since Amlogic A311D2 is just an upgrade to A311D, and Khadas VIM4 has the same form factor as Khadas VIM3, we can have a look at the latter’s wiki. That means Ubuntu 20.04 server and desktop with Linux 4.9 is officially supported, and third-party images include LibreELEC, CoreELEC, Armbian, and Manjaro ARM. For some reason, Android is not listed in the Wiki, but images are still released in the forums.

Source: https://www.cnx-software.com/2021/10...ic-a311d2-sbc/
    Last edited by trebor; 06-08-2022, 01:03.
    treboR
    Please consider
    Donating to Freaktab

Well to add to the Hype he we have a look at the Vim4 as received today by our good friends at Khadas
    Not a lot to show but in the same breath a lot to see..

Bare board

Top side what it all means

Main Ports

Lots going on the under side:

Bottom Side what it all Means

Lots more to happen:

You can also will find more soon at Khadas Forum and Khadas Shop.
    treboR
    Please consider
    Donating to Freaktab

Comment

Nice nice, i also got mine

Comment

VIM4 Amlogic A311D2 SBC with Mali G52 MP8(8EE) GPU and HDMI Input

Launch Date May 10th

Khadas <<< Click
        treboR
        Please consider
        Donating to Freaktab

Comment

Khadas VIM4 – An Amlogic A311D2 SBC with 8GB RAM, Wi-Fi 6

Key Features:

➢ HDMI input & digital microphones for smart display & video conferencing applications
          ➢ Mali G52MP8(8EE) 800Mhz GPU, supports 4K UI, H.265 and H.265 encoding at 4K 50fps
          ➢ x4 display interfaces: HDMI, MIPI-DSI, V-by-One & eDP
          ➢ 8GB LPDDR4X 2016MHz, 64bit RAM for memory intensive software applications
          ➢ AP6275S Wi-Fi 6 module with 802.11a/b/g/n/ac/ax, 2X2 MIMO and RSDB
          ➢ OOWOW embedded service, for online OS delivery, device maintenance and more!

User Manual:
          https://dl.khadas.com/products/vim4/...ser_manual.pdf

Specifications:
          https://dl.khadas.com/products/vim4/...vim4_specs.pdf

Comparisons:
          VIM4 vs VIM3 Pro vs Edge-V Pro
          https://dl.khadas.com/products/vim4/...omparisons.pdf

Documentations & Download:

https://docs.khadas.com/vim4 (W.I.P)

Introduction to OOWOW:
          OOWOW is a standalone embedded service for seamless online OS delivery, device maintenance, and much more!
          OOWOW is developed and maintained by Khadas Team. VIM4 is the first Khadas single board computer to have OOWOW pre-installed.
          OOWOW makes system installation much easier. You can download and install your preferred OS directly from the Cloud.
          OOWOW will start automatically if the device storage is empty. With OOWOW you will always be in control of your VIM4.
          Further information: https://docs.khadas.com/oowow

Khadas Community:
          https://forum.khadas.com/t/khadas-vi...-soon/15266/11
          treboR
          Please consider
          Donating to Freaktab

Comment

Khadas VIM4 – An Amlogic A311D2 SBC with 8GB RAM, Wi-Fi 6:

Here we have a video as found on the Interweb, gives an Idea of what its all about:
            treboR
            Please consider
            Donating to Freaktab

Comment

VIM4 Amlogic A311D2 SBC with Mali G52 MP8(8EE) GPU and HDMI Input and OOWOOW

First boot using this thing called OOWOOW after using it i would call it Woohoo.
              Real easy to use no fuss in adding, removing or updating

Found a previous case kicking about, thought it best to keep the VIM4 safe:

Bit of a hack in the front for the HDMI Mini D plug to spec of course

Last edited by trebor; 06-07-2022, 05:43.
              treboR
              Please consider
              Donating to Freaktab

Comment

As I was running the Previous Dev Version of OOWOW (Krescue), we need to get into the groove and update.

About to OOWOW, I could see things did look a bit dated, reading the documentation, it’s as clear as mud presently.
                Just need a quick how to update. 1,2,3 done

Did not get into KRESCURE so this is going to be fun, No Guts no glory
                Let’s see if we can nut this out too many things to read.
                I see no way to update internally from the current system installed Krescue, bugger. Maybe hidden but time is wasting

From the advice given let’s have a look at

We have some images to Download from the documentation

Will try one see what happens I guess, no mention what to do with this image, it’s not rocket science.
                Obvious to dump to a SD card, with what you may ask, well I use Rufus, let’s try.
                What could possibly go wrong.

I choose

vim4-oowow-220516.000-sd.img

Burn to a TF card insert and reboot

Forgot to Record it, oh well let’s see if I can talk my way through this.

Booting from TF card we are now in OOWOW...that has to be good.
                Looking thru the Menu's we find a one called:

Advance: sounds important enough

Then found

SPI Flash Options; that sounds even more important.

Then
                Write system to SPI Flash, sounds ok,
                As we booted from TF card and it’s the system sounds like a plan.

I get are you sure etc and a few other words to ensure this is your last chance.
                As mentioned, No Guts No Glory....Do it

Took a few minutes to download/update, then we get the reboot request.
                Remove the TF card and cross the fingers.

It booted back into Android 11 that I showed previously that’s good.

Let’s do the Function and Reset button thing

WOOHOO or should I say OOWOW....we now have the correct SPI Loaded

Not so hard after all,
                Been awhile since I have tinkered with Android or the VIMS
                Did not get into Krescue,

Looks like I am sold on OOWOW, now just to work out all the other Menus and Stuff there is LOTS

Well Done Khadas People.
                treboR
                Please consider
                Donating to Freaktab

Comment

Now for some OOWOW and ubuntu, all good easy to use (OOWOW) not a big ubuntu user
                  treboR
                  Please consider
                  Donating to Freaktab

Comment

Looking good.
                    MK818B, T428, ATV 1220, CS918S, TV01, S89H, R89, ADT-1, MK808B Plus, MINIX X8-H Plus, Tronsmart Orion R68

Comment

Thanks
                      Yes this OOWOW is pretty groovy. No more burning tool if you choose, images stored on Cloud just Download and install Via Vim4 itself.
                      Too Easy
                      treboR
                      Please consider
                      Donating to Freaktab

Comment

Working...
                      X