"Vergeef hen want ze weten niet wat ze doen"
    "Pardonne-leur car ils ne savent pas ce qu'ils font"
    "Perdónalos porque no saben que lo que hacen"
    "Oprosti im, jer ne znaju što čine"
    "Forgive them as they know not what they do"

Comment

close, but no cigar (for me anyway)

Looks pretty damn reasonable!

I think I will wait for a device based on the S802-H or similar SoC, with proper pass-through to my amplifiers (I will be replacing 3 6-core AMD media PC's).

If the Enybox M8 or Minix Neo X9 matches the S89 Vega speccs (in terms of WiFi and Bluetooth) and comes with an S802-H or another equally powerful DD+DTS passthrough, I will be sold! (and may also join the likes of Bob and Randy in cooking up some ROMs)

Thanks to Eric for keeping us informed of what is going on and for reviewing the pre-production S89 Vega.

I am honestly very surprised we haven't seen more tablets based on these chips.

cheers

J

Comment

Thanks Eric for that update.

"you can set the hdmi passthrough and spdif passthrough here,
        I will explain this function in next review about how to connect tronsmart vega s89 with your receiver."
        You did mention that the pass through would be in another review. So I take it it is not working on the unit tested or that you need to go into more detail.

Comment

DELETED

Comment

Thanks for the solid info!

Originally posted by clarkss12 View Post
            I have been tinkering with this idea for quite awhile. I have been trying to make my android tv boxes an all-in-one device. I have two hdhomerun devices, one is an older model dual atsc tuner and my newest one is the one that decodes the signal inside the tuner. i have been using a program called HDMonitor to monitor the output stream of the tuner. The output from HD channels average about 13Mbp depending on the channel. I am using cat6 for all my ethernet runs, and all my devices are connected via ethernet. I have found that my ATV1220, (amalogic dual core) seems to work better for these ts streams, than my quad core rockchip devices. I also discovered that my older hdhomerun tuner seems to work as good or better than my newest hdhomerun tuner. I have been trying different programs on my android devices and different players. All the sd channels play with no problems. The HD channels play flawlessly sometimes, but then other times, the playback is awful. Silicondust, maker of the hdhomerun tuner, has a couple of good apps for android and they work pretty good. Inside XBMC, both Frodo and Gotham, the stream plays good sometimes and again sometimes the playback is awful. I have not found the cause of these inconsistencies.
            I've got the older HDHomerun dual tuner as well. I also have a Win7 server with dual tuners installed internally. Currently I use NextPVR software to act as the PVR. I get guide data from SchedulesDirect. I don't do any post-processing of the recordings yet.

I had planned to use the NextPVR plugins for XBMC to access these HD OTA recordings, schedule new ones and watch live. In this way I thought I could bypass the coax with RJ-45 and leave all the house coax cables connected to the cable company so the TVs could continue to access the analog SD signal until its retirement in a year or two.

Unfortunately I encountered a fatal problem... I've been testing with my mk808. Disregarding the fact that it isn't beefy enough, it can still trial the plugins for me, etc. I used the XBMC Next PVR plugin to watch a live channel. After a few minutes I switched the TV off. Off course I left the mk808 running in the background - a scenario I fully expect my family to repeat. The darn NextPVR kept delivering the stream - but it did it as one continuous buffer file. After a day or so it overwhelmed my 3 TB drive and I had no space left until I found the culprit. This is harly a workable solution.

I think I'm resigned to breaking all contact with the NextPVR server from XBMC. Instead, people can physically visit the server to request shows to be recorded. Once they are in, I'll post-process them to something smaller and move them into my media folder structure. They can then intermingle with downloaded shows and get delivered via DLNA server (if I can get the darn files to bring metadata along). For live TV, I'll just have the XBMC clients talk to the HDHomerun direct and get the immediate guide data that is available over the air...

Comment

Re: EM8 Amlogic S802 quad core 2Ghz + Octa core Mali 450: FIRST PRICE INFO!

What does the above post have to do with Amlogic S802 quad cores. Must be a mistake

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk 2

Comment

Originally posted by reefmonger View Post
                What does the above post have to do with Amlogic S802 quad cores. Must be a mistake

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk 2

it started because he asked if we thought the S802 would be good enough to watch uncompressed streams.

I do agree though this is a bit OT. Maybe move it to another post but don't kill it as they do have good info I want to follow, just not here.

Comment

EM8 Amlogic S802 quad core 2Ghz + Octa core Mali 450: FIRST PRICE INFO!

The Tronsmart vega s89 support the real 4K*2K output, (of course, 1080p output is no problem). I have tested with the real 4K TV, and change the resolution to 4K*2K, and the TV also detect the resolution is 4K*2K. so, now you don’t need to worry about the resolution, no more upscale, just the real 1080p and 4K output. of course,if you just have 720p TV, you also can set the resolution to 720P.
                  Just because the HDMI port is syncing at 4k doesn't mean the desktop is resolving at 4k. Highest res I've seen in the source is standard ipad res (~2000x1500). So up scaling is very much a fact still!

Antutu will tell you the 'true' android resolution

Using my ipad so apols for any stupid ios spelling 'corrections'
                  Measy U4B (=Tronsmart T428) used by my kids!
                  Onda v975m - M802 - Bought from Banggood.com
                  Pipo M8HD 3G - RK3188 - don't buy from pipo-store
                  Tronsmart S89 Vega -S802 (sponsored by Geekbuying)
                  CX921b -RK3188T (sponsored by AndroidTV)
                  Cube U30GT2 - RK3188 (part sponsored by Geekbuying)
                  RKM MK902 - RK3188 (sponsored by RKM)

Donate to Finless

Comment

I am shocked that some products are going to release next week,
                    as AMLogic firmware is still under beta stage, lots of bugs to be fixed.
                    Plus the 1st batch of chips got a hardware bug that couldn't do thermal control (can't do throttling when overheated) and the problem just got fixed this week. Fixed chips are not ready for at least 2-3 weeks. So what are they actually selling??
                    By the way, passthrough is not OK, it's still PCM with Sci-Fi of the amp. simulated to 5.1.
                    Last edited by MINIX; 03-27-2014, 03:56.

Comment

Originally posted by reddragon72 View Post
                      it started because he asked if we thought the S802 would be good enough to watch uncompressed streams.

I do agree though this is a bit OT. Maybe move it to another post but don't kill it as they do have good info I want to follow, just not here.
                      Ya, sorry about that...

It will hopefully be more relevant once I report back whether the MX is sufficient to handle the .TS 1080p stream ;-)

If the S802 does indeed come in for just $105 delivered, I'll be kicking myself even if Dolby isn't in the mix just yet. But if the MX can do the 1080p then I won't be wanting for anything anyway. I'll be glad to save the $35 per device. I imagine it will be quite some time before I start looking at 4k TVs. There is just so many other elements that need to ramp up before they become relevant TVs. Heck, we can rarely get the TV shows to produce anything better than 720p...

Comment

I GOT TM8 Quad core tv box from TOMATO TECH.

HI, I got the quatation from Tomato, and her info:
                        Email: [email protected]
                        www.sztomato.com

And their product detaits as below:
                        We will have Amlogic quad core tv box this week, do you want to take samples to try:
                        1.Quad-Core Cortex-A9 [email protected] and Octo Core Mali-450 GPU@600MHz+;
                        2.Google Android4.4 Kitkat
                        3.Newested xbmc13.0
                        4.Built-in 2.4g and 5g wifi.
                        5. Support Ultra 2K4k HD video.
                        6. 1080p Hardware Decoding@30Fps,HD Live Chat Available
                        7.Dual Chanel HD Decode, True Pic-in-Pic Experience

And they have good reputation for android tv box .

Comment

Originally posted by freebase1ca View Post
                          Ya, sorry about that...

It will hopefully be more relevant once I report back whether the MX is sufficient to handle the .TS 1080p stream ;-)

If the S802 does indeed come in for just $105 delivered, I'll be kicking myself even if Dolby isn't in the mix just yet. But if the MX can do the 1080p then I won't be wanting for anything anyway. I'll be glad to save the $35 per device. I imagine it will be quite some time before I start looking at 4k TVs. There is just so many other elements that need to ramp up before they become relevant TVs. Heck, we can rarely get the TV shows to produce anything better than 720p...
                          From all the 4K expensive TV's released so far, only one has HDMI 2.0. There is absolutely no point to have a Box or TV supporting 4K with only HDMI 1.4b, it's like what 1080i used to be in 720p TV's aka UGLY.

Comment

So, folks, are you ordering the player?

I'm newbie and unsure about ordering it.

Thanks!

Comment

Im exited,but..

Originally posted by waismelo View Post
                              So, folks, are you ordering the player?

I'm newbie and unsure about ordering it.

Thanks!
                              I will wait for a while,this looks like a big beta test now.

Comment

Originally posted by jimac View Post
                                Looks pretty damn reasonable!

I think I will wait for a device based on the S802-H or similar SoC, with proper pass-through to my amplifiers (I will be replacing 3 6-core AMD media PC's).

If the Enybox M8 or Minix Neo X9 matches the S89 Vega speccs (in terms of WiFi and Bluetooth) and comes with an S802-H or another equally powerful DD+DTS passthrough, I will be sold! (and may also join the likes of Bob and Randy in cooking up some ROMs)

Thanks to Eric for keeping us informed of what is going on and for reviewing the pre-production S89 Vega.

I am honestly very surprised we haven't seen more tablets based on these chips.

cheers

J

Just a side note I did what your talking about two years ago.

I ran 7 PC's 3 desktop's ranging from core 2 duo's to I5 second gen and 4 laptops all I3 and better. Lots of kids! Also one laptop was a HTPC running XBMC.
                                Also had an old Pentium 4 I was using for windows home server holding movies/music/pics and game installers.

Today I run one desktop and 3 laptops. The server and HTPC have been replaced by Android!

I am loving the setup so much that the S802 with proper pass through is going to be the best thing and finally make it all seems like it is coming together. My MX1 is doing fine but I cannot wait for this beast!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X