Help required to customise my MX image!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help required to customise my MX image!

Hi guys im a noob to the forums and to rom customisation in general so im hoping someone can help me.

I have a generic MX dual core, and have been supplied a flash firmware and image from the supplier. This image is basic and does not contain all of the repos that i want, nor the apps that I require.

The image supplied is a zipfile and contains:

factory_update_param.aml
    hd18d_mx4.zip
    recovery.img

I am able to successfully restore my box with this image (so I know that the image is working fine).

Within the hd18d_mx4.zip there is:

Directotories: data, META-INF, recovery, system
    files: boot.img, bootloaded.img, logo.img

I can see the all the system APK files within the system/app folder. The problem is when i try to add another APK file into this directory within the archive (in this case videomix.apk), I am not able to restore the image to the MX device.

Can anyone help me with a noobies guide to do this. I have read that the apk file has to be signed, and the zip file has to be signed also?? But im not quite sure what this means, nor how I go about doing it.

Any help or tutorials will be much appreciate. I have downloaded the APK-multi-tool but dont have a clue what I need to do :-(

Look forward to your replies.

P.S. Im using a windows 64 bit machine and not Linux (if that makes any difference).

Unless things have changed from gingerbred to 4.x, system apps should not be signed. And why bother with changing the image if you have root access? Just copy the apk to /system/app/ after flashing, using root in a shell or something like root explorer.

Comment

Originally posted by cde View Post
      Unless things have changed from gingerbred to 4.x, system apps should not be signed. And why bother with changing the image if you have root access? Just copy the apk to /system/app/ after flashing, using root in a shell or something like root explorer.
      I managed to figure it out with update.zip manager 3.0

The reason I need to build and customise the actual image is because I set up multiple boxes at a time, so this becomes the easiest way!

Cheers!

GS

Comment

if you are making clones, why don't you use cwm? you set up one box then make a backup, then restore it on every box you have
        There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't...

If you want to buy me a beer, please use this -> https://www.paypalobjects.com/en_US/..._donate_SM.gif

Comment

Okay sorry for the possible stupid question, but........

What would be the difference to cloning my existing setup, or trying to rebuild my own update.zip

I want to customise the boot logo & splash screen also.

When I tried to clone the box using CWM i couldnt get it working properly. I also need to be able to set the boxes up unattended (So without going into any CWM menu, just pop in the SD card and away it goes )

Any pointers?

Comment

Re: Help required to customise my MX image!

Originally posted by gunshot View Post
            Okay sorry for the possible stupid question, but........

What would be the difference to cloning my existing setup, or trying to rebuild my own update.zip

I want to customise the boot logo & splash screen also.

When I tried to clone the box using CWM i couldnt get it working properly. I also need to be able to set the boxes up unattended (So without going into any CWM menu, just pop in the SD card and away it goes )

Any pointers?
            there are two versions of cwm for this box, one for old mtd and one for new mtd. They are not working 100% but are quite usable for the basics.
            i don't know exactly what you needs are but if you need some apps to be pre-configured then cwm is the way to go,it's faster and easier if you are just installing a modded system then modding update.zip is best as you actually do.
            There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't...

If you want to buy me a beer, please use this -> https://www.paypalobjects.com/en_US/..._donate_SM.gif

Comment

Originally posted by daemonium View Post
              there are two versions of cwm for this box, one for old mtd and one for new mtd. They are not working 100% but are quite usable for the basics.
              i don't know exactly what you needs are but if you need some apps to be pre-configured then cwm is the way to go,it's faster and easier if you are just installing a modded system then modding update.zip is best as you actually do.
              Hi daemonium:

Can you point me to these methods? Is one of them discussed here?

Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by superfreak79 View Post
                Hi daemonium:

Can you point me to these methods? Is one of them discussed here?

Thanks.

this one is for new mtd https://mega.co.nz/#!AxtAUapb!f22BH5...e5eX-TPeaG_17g
                and this one for old mtd https://mega.co.nz/#!ckEwBShY!PgPfA-...8pKU-PD_APfCJ8

Comment

Thanks. Based on my MTD layout and/or the board version, do we know which one I need?

Code:
                  Creating 7 MTD partitions on "nandnormal":
                  0x000000800000-0x000000c00000 : "logo"
                  0x000000c00000-0x000001400000 : "boot"
                  0x000001400000-0x000021400000 : "system"
                  0x000021400000-0x000040800000 : "cache"
                  0x000040800000-0x000053400000 : "backup"
                  0x000053400000-0x0000b3400000 : "userdata"
                  0x0000b3400000-0x0000fe000000 : "NFTL_Part"

Comment

Thanks. Based on my MTD layout and/or the board version, do we know which one I need?

[CODE}Creating 7 MTD partitions on "nandnormal":
                    0x000000800000-0x000000c00000 : "logo"
                    0x000000c00000-0x000001400000 : "boot"
                    0x000001400000-0x000021400000 : "system"
                    0x000021400000-0x000040800000 : "cache"
                    0x000040800000-0x000053400000 : "backup"
                    0x000053400000-0x0000b3400000 : "userdata"
                    0x0000b3400000-0x0000fe000000 : "NFTL_Part"[/CODE]

i think i got lost at some point, this cwm i'm talking are just for g18ref boards.

Comment

i think i got lost at some point, this cwm i'm talking are just for g18ref boards.
                      Oops, I assumed we were talking about MX because the thread title had MX in it. That's my mistake.

Are you aware of custom recovery for the MX devices?

Thanks.

Comment

Oops, I assumed we were talking about MX because the thread title had MX in it. That's my mistake.

Are you aware of custom recovery for the MX devices?

Thanks.
                        can you give me a link to the firmware you have in your box? i will have a look at it and maybe try to make my cwm work with your box.

Comment

can you give me a link to the firmware you have in your box? i will have a look at it and maybe try to make my cwm work with your box.
                          Therein lies the problem...

I have a special situation with a particular box that has a layer of proprietary code that can't be accessed without a username and password . I can get to Android settings, but that's it. Would it be a particular launcher that locks me out of other areas of Android? I'm hoping to backup the stock firmware and tinker with it a bit. I'd be happy to discuss via PM or IM if you're open to it.

Cheers

Comment

Therein lies the problem...

I have a special situation with a particular box that has a layer of proprietary code that can't be accessed without a username and password . I can get to Android settings, but that's it. Would it be a particular launcher that locks me out of other areas of Android? I'm hoping to backup the stock firmware and tinker with it a bit. I'd be happy to discuss via PM or IM if you're open to it.

Cheers
                            i pm you

Comment

HI there
                              There are so many useful information about
                              customise image.I am a beginner in this forum.And i am testing about the third party image tool which supports to customise the image as my wish.Is there any suggestions?Thanks a lot.

Comment

Working...
                              X