Geniatech ATV1220 with built in ATSC tuner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Received my ATV 1220 with built in ATSC tuner yesterday. http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Genia...389359357.html. It is a dual core amlogic processor, with one gig of ram and 4 gig of memory. First impressions, very positive. Seems to be well made, except something like a loose piece of metal or plastic was rattling inside the box, which concerned me a little. Tried to open the box to find out what was causing the rattle, but could not get the cover off. Anyway, hooked it up to my TV, by going through hdmi splitter and through my A/V receiver. Connected my roof top antenna, to the device to receive OTA TV signals. The onboard ATSC tuner is very good, it received the same signals as my other dedicated TV tuners. The first thing that really impressed me, NO REBOOTS or lock ups. It is running 4.1.2 and is pre-rooted which is a blessing. It is only 720p and not 1080p but the video and audio is great. It has Dolby Digital passthrough out of the box, no jumping through hoops to get surround sound. I installed XBMC 13 beta1, and it works great. The video quality is much better than my other RK3188 devices.

As far as adding apps, the small of amount of 4 gig of memory, seems to be adequate for me. All my apps that I use were available to be downloaded from the play store. The only item that I miss, is the ability of syncing my "contacts" from my Google account. However, the calendar syncs very well. I now have this device and my TV01 (aka CS968) hooked up to the same tv, so in a few days, I will know which device will serve me the best.

I Know that sam321 has gotten TVheadend to install on the RK chips so XBMC can use it as a PVR , I will try to get it working on my ATV1220.
    MK818B, T428, ATV 1220, CS918S, TV01, S89H, R89, ADT-1, MK808B Plus, MINIX X8-H Plus, Tronsmart Orion R68

Video of Geniatech ATV1220 with ATSC tuner

Since there is a dearth of information on this ATV1220, I thought I would make a video of it. I am assuming that this device is the same as the ATV1200, but with a built in ATSC tuner. My understanding is that Geniatech has been making tv tuners for years. Firstly, the tuner is very good, same as my other devices, although the app that they use is not the greatest. Secondly, this device is unbelievably stable, it does not freeze, lock up or reboot. Third, I think I will be putting my TV01 (aka cs968) out to pasture. This is my 2nd day of using it, and all I can say is NO more rockchip. Anyway, as a disclaimer, the live TV inside of XBMC is not using the built in tuner, it is using my HDHomerun plus network dual tuner.
    here is the youtube video.
    Android TV box with built in ATSC tuner for the US OTA (over the air) TV signals. Plays video with hardware decoding and Dolby Digital surround sound passth...

Btw, my logitech C310 web cam works great with this device, even the video part works.
    Last edited by clarkss12; 03-07-2014, 04:01.
    MK818B, T428, ATV 1220, CS918S, TV01, S89H, R89, ADT-1, MK808B Plus, MINIX X8-H Plus, Tronsmart Orion R68

Comment

Geniatech

I love the Geniatech ATV1200 units. They are really solid and play XBMC just fine. I've not tried the ATV1220 yet so it's nice to hear that your having good luck with it.

I get my new Geniatech ATV1800 next week so i'm super excited to see how it preforms.

Comment

Originally posted by Ralhaz View Post
        I love the Geniatech ATV1200 units. They are really solid and play XBMC just fine. I've not tried the ATV1220 yet so it's nice to hear that your having good luck with it.

I get my new Geniatech ATV1800 next week so i'm super excited to see how it preforms.
        Have they started shipping them now? Aliexpress says they are still in pre-order. When you get yours, give a full review, will you.
        thanks

Comment

They have not started to ship to the general public, but since I am one of their dealers they have agreed to ship me a few samples prior to our main shipment coming in.

Thanks
          Ralhaz

Comment

atv 1220 lack of manual and struggling with setup

Originally posted by clarkss12 View Post
            Received my ATV 1220 with built in ATSC tuner yesterday. http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Genia...389359357.html. It is a dual core amlogic processor, with one gig of ram and 4 gig of memory. First impressions, very positive. Seems to be well made, except something like a loose piece of metal or plastic was rattling inside the box, which concerned me a little. Tried to open the box to find out what was causing the rattle, but could not get the cover off. Anyway, hooked it up to my TV, by going through hdmi splitter and through my A/V receiver. Connected my roof top antenna, to the device to receive OTA TV signals. The onboard ATSC tuner is very good, it received the same signals as my other dedicated TV tuners. The first thing that really impressed me, NO REBOOTS or lock ups. It is running 4.1.2 and is pre-rooted which is a blessing. It is only 720p and not 1080p but the video and audio is great. It has Dolby Digital passthrough out of the box, no jumping through hoops to get surround sound. I installed XBMC 13 beta1, and it works great. The video quality is much better than my other RK3188 devices.

As far as adding apps, the small of amount of 4 gig of memory, seems to be adequate for me. All my apps that I use were available to be downloaded from the play store. The only item that I miss, is the ability of syncing my "contacts" from my Google account. However, the calendar syncs very well. I now have this device and my TV01 (aka CS968) hooked up to the same tv, so in a few days, I will know which device will serve me the best.

I Know that sam321 has gotten TVheadend to install on the RK chips so XBMC can use it as a PVR , I will try to get it working on my ATV1220.
            hi thanks for the helpful info - and your uploaded video on youtube - i purchased one of these the other day - via alibaba express - i am getting the signal thru to my tv put having problems with the small remote that comes with it to manage the setup - it looks form your video as though you have some kind of remote mouse device how does this work?
            ps i am a completete newb to the world of android tv boxes

Comment

Originally posted by avondrystonewaller View Post
              hi thanks for the helpful info - and your uploaded video on youtube - i purchased one of these the other day - via alibaba express - i am getting the signal thru to my tv put having problems with the small remote that comes with it to manage the setup - it looks form your video as though you have some kind of remote mouse device how does this work?
              ps i am a completete newb to the world of android tv boxes
              yes, I am using an air mouse, this is the one I like the best http://www.geekbuying.com/item/Trons...es-317283.html, and it works very well. However, the mouse that comes with the box, works great in XBMC. I am sure you will love that box.

Comment

Originally posted by clarkss12 View Post
                yes, I am using an air mouse, this is the one I like the best http://www.geekbuying.com/item/Trons...es-317283.html, and it works very well. However, the mouse that comes with the box, works great in XBMC. I am sure you will love that box.
                just after i sent the message i realised that the usb ports in the tv box might have some relevance to a pointing device keyboard etc and connected up a wireless mouse which got me going - i will take your advice and get something like you recommended - my box shipped without any mouse or instructions and i had an hdmi to dvi convertor as i have an old tv so it took me a while to figure out where i needed to plug the audio in to get an audio as well as a video signal - it is all working now - thanks for your inspiration - i will not get any where near the tv to enkoy it as my kids will be monopolising it with netflix!

Comment

Working...
                X