Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

G18REF - 'HD 18 v2.2x' - Flash as G-Box Midnight MX2

Hi Everyone.

I'm new to all this, so i'd like to apologise in advanced for my ignorance.

I purchased this box not too long ago and it seemed to work okay. When the box gets turned off by pressing the power button on the remote, the wifi password would reset and i'd need to re-enter it every time. Recently when i tried entering the password again, there was the following message 'Refresh Access Point List... Select Your AP'.

From what i understand i need to flash this box with either the original or new firmware to fix this issue, although im not sure which box it is in order to do so...

Note: XBMC-Hub version was already installed and pre-configured.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Here is a link to the box: http://www.****.com.au/itm/MiiBox-Du...-/291156250464

Here is a photo of the PCB:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	mxclone.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	79.1 KB
ID:	439432
    Last edited by Oversoul; 08-12-2014, 01:10. Reason: Edit title.

Hmmm, it looks like a proper M6 PCB...
    e.g. here http://www.freaktab.com/showthread.p...l=1#post205838

If it is printed with
    HD 18 v2.2
    HD 18 v2.21
    HD 18 v2.22
    and at Android System Information:
    => http://www.freaktab.com/showthread.p...ll=1#post97523

you can flash it as a 'Matricom G-Box Midnight MX2'
    => http://www.freaktab.com/showthread.p...ll=1#post94756
    RK3288 Devices
    - Overview BOX (LINK !)
    - Overview STICK (Dongle) (LINK !)

MINIX NEO: Z64 W/A - (Intel Z3735F); X8-H Plus - (Amlogic S812H); A2 Lite (sponsored by minix.com.hk)
    UGOOS UT3S (4/32GB with fan) - FW 2.0.6 - (RK3288) (sponsored by GearBest.com)
    Tronsmart Draco AW80 Meta (2/16GB) - FW v2.0rc3 - (Allwinner A80) (sponsored by GeekBuying.com)
    Beelink / UBOX R89 - FW 111k4110_1219 - (RK3288) (sponsored by Netxeon (Beelink))

RK3188: pcb => "CH001 1332 TN-BX09_V2.1" (K-R42 / CS918...) => wasser KK 1.0.3 (old rev)
    Fly Mouse Mini Wireless Keyboard with 2 mode learning IR remote 'iPazzPort KP-810-16'

Comment

Originally posted by no_spam_for_me View Post
      Hmmm, it looks like a proper M6 PCB...
      e.g. here http://www.freaktab.com/showthread.p...l=1#post205838

If it is printed with
      HD 18 v2.2
      HD 18 v2.21
      HD 18 v2.22
      and at Android System Information:
      => http://www.freaktab.com/showthread.p...ll=1#post97523

you can flash it as a 'Matricom G-Box Midnight MX2'
      => http://www.freaktab.com/showthread.p...ll=1#post94756
      Thanks for the detailed response!

It is HD 18 v2.22

I will flash it using the instructions detailed in the last link and i'll report back.

Thanks again no_spam_for_me

Comment

Ok so here's where i am at...

I attempted to flash using the following method;

Originally posted by BenniBenassi View Post

Download these two files:

FILE: mx2-boot-recovery.zip

FILE: mx2fw114b-7-10-13.zip

I used this simple method, no HW bypass required, no hacking needed....

1) Update recovery image (extract files on SD card:mx2-boot-recovery.zip)
        - First back up all apps that you want saved by Titanium backup, to EXTERNAL storage.
        - Power off MX device and then remove power cable.
        - Insert SD card with extracted files in root directory.
        - Insert a match or a toothpick to reset hole - you will feel a click. (AV hole in the back)
        - Power on the MX box by inserting power cable, while holding the match in the reset hole.
        - It will boot to recovery. Good. Then remove power cable and remove SD card.

2) Install Matricom image (extract on SD card: mx2fw114b-7-10-13.zip)
        - Extract files from zip file to the root of SD card.
        - Make sure MX device is powered off and power cable removed.
        - Insert SD card with extracted files in root directory.
        - Insert a match or a toothpick to reset hole - you will feel a click. (AV hole in the back)
        - Power on the MX box by inserting power cable, while holding the match in the reset hole.
        - It will boot to recovery and start installing ROM. Good. It will restart when finished.

Everything was going fine right until the last step of PART TWO, when i connected the power and the toothpick slipped off the reset button. It showed the following image; although the status bar wasnt moving. The geometric shape in the android wasn't moving either. The image kept on 'flickering' and i think this was because of the slip, which released the reset button too soon.

Name:	Screen Shot 2014-08-11 at 7.14.01 pm.png
Size:	55.6 KB
ID:	434396

I tried re-doing the steps from the begining and the last thing i saw was a flash of purple on the screen and than it turned to black. The blue light on the MX box is solid blue. I can turn the box off with the remote (red light shows) and turn it back on again, but the screen remains black...

Any ideas on how i can resolve this problem?

As always, any help is greatly appreciated...

Comment

come on, why don't you use my link

"... almost-idiot proof ..." => it is really plug and play and not plug and pray...

Back to your possibly self made problem:
          Can you use a/v (e.g. via scart adapter) to check, if there is only a problem at HDMI?
          (I know toothpick and a/v at the same time for flashing is not possible, but at first step to check the sate of your system...)
          RK3288 Devices
          - Overview BOX (LINK !)

MINIX NEO: Z64 W/A - (Intel Z3735F); X8-H Plus - (Amlogic S812H); A2 Lite (sponsored by minix.com.hk)
          Tronsmart Draco AW80 Meta (2/16GB) - FW v2.0rc3 - (Allwinner A80) (sponsored by GeekBuying.com)
          Beelink / UBOX R89 - FW 111k4110_1219 - (RK3288) (sponsored by Netxeon (Beelink))

RK3188: pcb => "CH001 1332 TN-BX09_V2.1" (K-R42 / CS918...) => wasser KK 1.0.3 (old rev)
          Fly Mouse Mini Wireless Keyboard with 2 mode learning IR remote 'iPazzPort KP-810-16'

Comment

come on, why don't you use my link

"... almost-idiot proof ..." => it is really plug and play and not plug and pray...

Back to your possibly self made problem:
            Can you use a/v (e.g. via scart adapter) to check, if there is only a problem at HDMI?
            (I know toothpick and a/v at the same time for flashing is not possible, but at first step to check the sate of your system...)
            I know, i know. I stuffed it up...
            The instructions i followed were part of the same thread you linked me. Your link didnt include "HD 18 v2.22" in the steps to follow, so i didnt want to risk it... Sorry.

I dont have a Scart, although my TV uses this adapter (RCA to HDMI). It still displays a black screen when the blue light is on when plugged in to the AV port.

Name:	Screen Shot 2014-08-11 at 8.40.59 pm.jpg
Size:	51.4 KB
ID:	434398

Comment

Yes, but the "HD 18 v2.22" was released after this post and is later confirmed as OK (e.g. by me) and if it is also 'G18REF' at Android System Information...
              Have you also checked the Android System Information?
              At worst case try to flash via the way at my link and if it not work maybe do RMA...
              RK3288 Devices
              - Overview BOX (LINK !)

Comment

Yes, but the "HD 18 v2.22" was released after this post and is later confirmed as OK (e.g. by me) and if it is also 'G18REF' at Android System Information...
                Have you also checked the Android System Information?
                At worst case try to flash via the way at my link and if it not work maybe do RMA...
                Ok so i tried it using the method in the link.... No luck...

On the tv it says "No Signal - check connected device's power, cable connection and source selection" which disappeared for 5 seconds ( i thought it was going to work), but the message returned.

I am 100% certain it is 'G18REF'. I dont have access to the Android system info now, but i did see it.

So i guess this box is useless now? Oh well, lesson learnt.

I take my hat off to all of you who get get so technical with these devices.

Thanks for your help no_spam_for_me

Comment

the problem now is, that you can't check the MTD layout, but maybe one of the LINUX versions are flashable...

(specially at post #2 the link to 'MX Linux')
                  RK3288 Devices
                  - Overview BOX (LINK !)

Comment

the problem now is, that you can't check the MTD layout, but maybe one of the LINUX versions are flashable...

(specially at post #2 the link to 'MX Linux')
                    Good idea! I hadnt thought about Linux..

Which one?

1) MX_LINUX_v1.00-G18REF_MX2REF-update.zip

2) MX_LINUX_v1.00-G18REF_MX2REF-NEWMTD-update.zip

3) MX_LINUX_v1.00-STVMX-conversion.zip

Comment

Originally posted by Oversoul View Post
                      Good idea! I hadnt thought about Linux..

Which one?

1) MX_LINUX_v1.00-G18REF_MX2REF-update.zip

2) MX_LINUX_v1.00-G18REF_MX2REF-NEWMTD-update.zip

3) MX_LINUX_v1.00-STVMX-conversion.zip
                      Good question... next question please...
                      I think you don't veryfied if the system was a G18REF (at Android) if you ask this question...

At the SD card version for flashing the v1.1.5+ (my link) you will find a "factory_update_param.aml" and if I remember correctly (my device is long time resell) the 'UWS102912pusa_121122gbox_ext.zip' also exist at the SD card so you can try to replace it with the 'MX_LINUX_v1.00-G18REF_MX2REF-update.zip' or one of the others, BUT normally the system boot at the SD card and use the 'uImage_recovery' so I think normally you should see something (recovery) at the TV if the SD card boots correctly...???
                      RK3288 Devices
                      - Overview BOX (LINK !)

Comment

Good question... next question please...
                        I think you don't veryfied if the system was a G18REF (at Android) if you ask this question...

At the SD card version for flashing the v1.1.5+ (my link) you will find a "factory_update_param.aml" and if I remember correctly (my device is long time resell) the 'UWS102912pusa_121122gbox_ext.zip' also exist at the SD card so you can try to replace it with the 'MX_LINUX_v1.00-G18REF_MX2REF-update.zip' or one of the others, BUT normally the system boot at the SD card and use the 'uImage_recovery' so I think normally you should see something (recovery) at the TV if the SD card boots correctly...???
                        http://www.freaktab.com/showthread.p...l=1#post101209
                        Lucky i have habit of taking photos of everything!
                        Its deifnitely g18ref.

Name:	Screen Shot 2014-08-11 at 10.24.35 pm.jpg
Size:	42.1 KB
ID:	434401

I wasnt sure if i needed to select Option1 (update) or Option2 (newmtd).

Ok so I will replace 'UWS102912pusa_121122gbox_ext.zip' with 'MX_LINUX_v1.00-G18REF_MX2REF-update.zip'

And also change the "factory_update_param.aml" ;

Code:
                        --set_efuse_version="version=1,mach_id=0xb8e"
                        --set_efuse_ethernet_mac
                        --wipe_data
                        --wipe_cache
                        --wipe_media
                        --update_package=/sdcard/mx2update.zip
                        TO:

Code:
                        --set_efuse_version="version=1,mach_id=0xb8e"
                        --set_efuse_ethernet_mac
                        --wipe_data
                        --wipe_cache
                        --wipe_media
                        --update_package=/sdcard/mx2update.zip
                        --wipe_data
                        --wipe_cache
                        --wipe_media
                        Is that right??

Comment

or you only rename 'UWS102912pusa_121122gbox_ext.zip' to 'UWS102912pusa_121122gbox_ext.zip.org' and rename the linux file you want to try to 'UWS102912pusa_121122gbox_ext.zip'
                          (so you don't need to edit the "factory_update_param.aml")
                          RK3288 Devices
                          - Overview BOX (LINK !)

Comment

BUT as I wrote:
                            "BUT normally the system boot at the SD card and use the 'uImage_recovery' so I think normally you should see something (recovery) at the TV if the SD card boots correctly...???"
                            And you see nothing...
                            RK3288 Devices
                            - Overview BOX (LINK !)

Comment

Yeah i think i understand.. Is it possible that it is just bricked, and therfore thats why no image is showing?

Comment

Working...
                              X