Beelink M8 / S82 vs M8 Box (square)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by geniebox.ca View Post
    It would have been better if you compared the performance, benchmarks, heating, etc. than what seems more of an engineering review.

Nabil
    <Link removed by Finless as SPAM>
    I also can review the quality of the USB, HDMI and other cables. How many wires each cable (and their thickness), if 100% copper, aluminium + copper alloy, steel... even if they have an electrolytic's copper coat over them. Gold coated over the contacts, if shielded to protect data (braided, foil or both).

These simple details cause lots of problems. Most of times just need a cable replacement, but you can become crazy if your box arrives from China and does not work (maybe because an USB cable broken inside).

Another interesting part is the power adapter. The final product is the sum of every small part.

I know lots of people will compare the benchmarks here, so I don't really need to do that. Also I don't believe benchmarking too much, they can be manipulated (yes, including the Antutu X, I saw some days ago a guy cheating this new benchmark version running over a MTK6582 phone and showing the information that he wanted).

Thermal information is interesting too...
    Android TV Box direct from China. English & Español

Comment

Over the last 2 years I have probably about 40 TV stick devices. Of them almost 1/2 or more of the HDMI cables that came with these devices are BAD!!!!!

They range from no HDMI output to random pixel issues to screwed up images to blurry images etc etc etc and may other scenarios.

I went and bought a $20 HDMI cable with fully gold plated connections and this is what I use to test boxes on now.

The crap cables from China are not good and it really makes a big difference to have a good HDMI cable!

Bob
      "Pzebacz im, bo nie wiedzą, co czynią"
      "Прости им, они не ведают, что творят"
      "Perdona loro perché non sanno quello che fanno"
      "Vergib ihnen, denn sie wissen nicht, was sie tun"
      "Vergeef hen want ze weten niet wat ze doen"
      "Pardonne-leur car ils ne savent pas ce qu'ils font"
      "Perdónalos porque no saben que lo que hacen"
      "Oprosti im, jer ne znaju što čine"
      "Forgive them as they know not what they do"

Comment

I agree with this statement. Bad HDMI cables could also have handshaking issues where devices cannot detect other AV equipment. Gold plated HDMI 1.4 cables from Monster has always satisfied my needs. Where 3D pass through is used on a set a problem with audio and visual can also be experienced with cheap HDMI cables.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Lokie View Post
          I'm sure that this to stabalise the box on a surface. These things are so small & light the cables destabilize them
          +1

And a try to give this panel as a cooling system is a "trick" only.
          Now about caps. Look at them - they are located near or on a sound and video track. All HiFi manufacturers avoids using it in audio and video paths because such "filtering" blurs the picture and sound.
          About power supply. I had disassembled some such power supplies and did not find any differences except marking (1,5A, 2A or 3A) (! surprise and regular china trick !). Take a look at quality MeanWell power supply(5V, 4A) and do a compare.

Comment

Originally posted by Lokie View Post
            I'm sure that this to stabalise the box on a surface. These things are so small & light the cables destabilize them
            Correct! This is pretty easy to prove, remove the screws holding the plate to the bottom of the case, put the top back on. Now, measure the temperature over time. Ah Hah, remains almost the same. Plug in a HDMI Cable, Power Cable, LAN Cable and try to get the box to sit where you want it..... Finally, and most important, not discussed here yet: The thermal conductivity of these two metals pretty much tells the story, Aluminum - 250 W/(m.K) Steel - 43 W/(m.K). Pretty obvious that in this case, (pun intended), the aluminum is the heat sink and the steel is a weight. nothing more.
            Last edited by Guest; 06-13-2014, 19:12. Reason: repeative words removed

Comment

Originally posted by Foodog View Post
              Correct! This is pretty easy to prove, remove the screws holding the plate to the bottom of the case, put the top back on. Now, measure the temperature over time. Ah Hah, remains almost the same. Plug in a HDMI Cable, Power Cable, LAN Cable and try to get the box to sit where you want it..... Finally, and most important, not discussed here yet: The thermal conductivity of these two metals pretty much tells the story, Aluminum - 250 W/(m.K) Steel - 43 W/(m.K). Pretty obvious that in this case, (pun intended), the aluminum is the heat sink and the steel is a weight. nothing more.
              Steel as heat sink ... the box can be a good paperweight

Comment

Originally posted by bOOster View Post
                +1

And a try to give this panel as a cooling system is a "trick" only.
                Now about caps. Look at them - they are located near or on a sound and video track. All HiFi manufacturers avoids using it in audio and video paths because such "filtering" blurs the picture and sound.
                About power supply. I had disassembled some such power supplies and did not find any differences except marking (1,5A, 2A or 3A) (! surprise and regular china trick !). Take a look at quality MeanWell power supply(5V, 4A) and do a compare.
                In China there are a main trick, fake all to earn more "easy money". In my country we say "pan para hoy, hambre para mañana".

There are reasons why brands and sellers sell cheaper or expensiver...

This is a good comparison a member of this forum sent me.
                First picture is a power adapter provided with a a ZERO Devices Z2C/Z4C - Second picture is a cheap MK808B what people always think "that's all same":

A responsible brand will not think "short time money", they will think "long life brand name". Will open the adapters, check capacitors, ICs (if used), board design... and finally choose the right one accord with the brand target.

Comment

That is why people don't want to do business with China, because of the after sales support on some of these brands that are non existant.

Create a long lasting relationship with your clients and customers for them to return to you.

Simple concept however I have seen only a few companies that is changing their ways.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

After reading entire thread nothing helpfull only one post Thanks is to bob (yet again). Been buying china crap for few years now and 3 main things every buyer asks. how much, does it run xbmc without studder, can ii update it. With so many boxes and so many manufactures having a box that is supported by this site is the only option for me. learned my lesson losing money and customers from the T chip disaster to know crap from china will continue to flow out of there. They will swap out one part for a cheaper one without a thought to end users or concern. (few have stuck to principles and not done so they have also gained a huge fan base doing so. )

if supported by freaktab devs issues will get resolved, few questions for all. wifi (ok or better then 3188 boxes or same?) finding good supplier next dx doesnt sell usa plug for any of these boxes yet geekbuying does not give the option for usa plug ? when i dont see the option means roll the dice and hopethey send right one.....

scores for antutu - everyone lies is the scores at 200000-250000 real? i get that from 3188 boxes with d33 kernels i am looking for just same quality video i get from my old cheap ass jynk box as it still out does new boxes in respect to quality. nice data here but would like to see actual tests and people using them.
                    Many devices now mk902ii/Shield/Mk68 /Ugoos/neox5/minix5 (yes they still work lol) mk80 no it doesnt work lol.

Comment

Originally posted by scooter2014 View Post
                      After reading entire thread nothing helpfull only one post Thanks is to bob (yet again). Been buying china crap for few years now and 3 main things every buyer asks. how much, does it run xbmc without studder, can ii update it. With so many boxes and so many manufactures having a box that is supported by this site is the only option for me. learned my lesson losing money and customers from the T chip disaster to know crap from china will continue to flow out of there. They will swap out one part for a cheaper one without a thought to end users or concern. (few have stuck to principles and not done so they have also gained a huge fan base doing so. )

if supported by freaktab devs issues will get resolved, few questions for all. wifi (ok or better then 3188 boxes or same?) finding good supplier next dx doesnt sell usa plug for any of these boxes yet geekbuying does not give the option for usa plug ? when i dont see the option means roll the dice and hopethey send right one.....

scores for antutu - everyone lies is the scores at 200000-250000 real? i get that from 3188 boxes with d33 kernels i am looking for just same quality video i get from my old cheap ass jynk box as it still out does new boxes in respect to quality. nice data here but would like to see actual tests and people using them.
                      You have just quoted all the reasons why this retired computer design engineer and now, "entertainment only" user abandoned the inexpensive $100.00 +/_ boxes for an Intel H81/4400 powered Zotac. (wife calls it a cute little guy!). Wow, it just works, PERIOD. Antutu? Why bother!! Every time you run it you get an incremental increase in reported performance.

Goo luck with the little black boxes and all they offer.....

Comment

Ya here ya on that, been playing with alot of these now (way past hobby>) The main reason i started was people i know getting burned for crap. so i started doing and havent stopped, enjoy the people ive met on the ride and its been fun learning new things.
                        I think ill keep adding to my toy base its good to see surprices from devs here- bob saved my jynk box, hd guru just made nnew rom for x5 and x5 mini so some family members just got upgraded after a year or more so thats not to shabby for boxes less then a 100 dollars

going to try the new boxes just waiting to find best supplier and supported ones, Minix already ordered from them but will try some of the others once i hear back from end users ( just heard girl friend scream hope she cant read my posts!!)
                        Many devices now mk902ii/Shield/Mk68 /Ugoos/neox5/minix5 (yes they still work lol) mk80 no it doesnt work lol.

Comment

Ynt: Beelink M8 / S82 vs M8 Box (square)

Originally posted by Javimetal View Post
                          I also can review the quality of the USB, HDMI and other cables. How many wires each cable (and their thickness), if 100% copper, aluminium + copper alloy, steel... even if they have an electrolytic's copper coat over them. Gold coated over the contacts, if shielded to protect data (braided, foil or both).

These simple details cause lots of problems. Most of times just need a cable replacement, but you can become crazy if your box arrives from China and does not work (maybe because an USB cable broken inside).

Another interesting part is the power adapter. The final product is the sum of every small part.

I know lots of people will compare the benchmarks here, so I don't really need to do that. Also I don't believe benchmarking too much, they can be manipulated (yes, including the Antutu X, I saw some days ago a guy cheating this new benchmark version running over a MTK6582 phone and showing the information that he wanted).

Thermal information is interesting too...
                          Can you add mx3 models to your comparison list.

GT-N7000...

Comment

Thanks for a nice report Javimetal.

Do a techblog.

Comment

Originally posted by inflock View Post
                              Can you add mx3 models to your comparison list.

GT-N7000...
                              I can get almost every model in same day, the problem is I don't have time to do these things. Last week some manufacturers sent me 3 expensive products and did not test anyone.

I hope I can find the way, or make a list of "things to test".

Comment

By the way, I see MX is using a steel plate in their products over the heatsink. As we have been designing a fanless heat sink, I can not understand why they use this material there. Same than the square M8.

Aluminium 205 W/m°C (light and cheap)
                                Copper 400W/m°C (but expensive and difficult to make)
                                Steel 45 W/m°C (heavy metal )

Why to use steel?

Comment

Working...
                                X