Beelink M8 / S82 vs M8 Box (square)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beelink M8 / S82 vs M8 Box (square)

It's time for 4K media player based in Android OS. First round for the Amlogic S802 SoC based, so we can compare today Beelink M8 / S82 vs M8 Box. Same name, different bodies. Who will win to be the king? Let's see.

BODY CONSTRUCTION

• In one hand we have the Beelink M8, it adopts circular design and CD vein in the surface, under lighting, it displays CD surface's gloss, very beautiful.
    • M8 Box adopts square design, there isn't any special handling on the surface. Finish is not so good.

• Beelink M8/S82 and M8 almost have the same interfaces, Beelink M8/S82 adopts TF slot, M8 Box adopts SD slot.
    • Beelink M8/S82 has OTG port, but M8 Box doesn't have (WTH is this???).
    • It is strange that M8 Box didn't mount power button (that thing in the front is just a light). The Beelink M8/S82 has button.
    • M8 Box has the connectors reversed, they designed a reversed motherboard.

A DEEP LOOKING INSIDE

Well, here is where we found the biggest difference. The Beelink M8 / S82 was well constructed, every part make sense. The cooling scheme is good and double-sized. Check the pictures and remember the S82 is the neutral version of Beelink M8 (round), both are exactly same inside. But later you will see the differences with the M8 Box (squared):

In the other hand, the squared M8 Box where we are really dissapointed. There is a metal piece too, but this one does not look in cooperation with heat cooling, so it's making this box heavy without any reason. Also we want to think, that WiFi antenna was not used before in a faulty unit and later was re-used again. If you are the manufacturer reading this, please, look at these things too.

Now we will put our attention in the really deep design. The Beelink again punches in the M8 Box "stomatch". No ESD protection ICs, less capacitors, holes and screws too near some components... well, it looks like that guys was really hurry to finish work or they just wanted save money from important components. But we don't see a big difference price between them.

ACCESSORIES

CONCLUSION

Clearly the Beelink M8 / S82 is better in hardware. It looks like th M8 Box was designed just to take advantage of the name "M8" choosen by Beelink and lack of lots of components, some ones are not referrer in the board, but anothers like the ESD protection are clearly not mounted just for money saving. We also got some problems playing 4K videos with the M8 Box (not full screen displayed, just a 1/3 part, hope it will be fixed by new firmware releases). The conclusion is Beelink M8 / S82 and M8 Box must compete in different leagues. High ending - Low ending.

A point in M8 Box favor, it has those holes you can see in the pictures, so ventilation will be better than Beelink's one.

Source: elezine
    Powerpoint comparison: Beelink vs M8
    Last edited by Javimetal; 05-05-2014, 16:00. Reason: add info
    Android TV Box direct from China. English & Español

Thanks for this. Very informative!

Comment

Thx!
      Nice review.

Comment

Thank you very much, Javimetal!

Comment

M8 Bottom Metal plate touches the CPU heat sink and helps CPU cooling so its not there to make box Heavier LOL

Both Boxes Has the same Wifi Antenna ... M8 Antenna in this review looks like removed and sticked back few times...

Glad M8 hasn't got OTG port ,SDCARD Update is a lot easier especially for the resellers !
          Pure nightmare to explain how to update via OTG port to end customers ,I believe its almost %90 impossible...

M8 8gb Model Has both 5ghz and 2.4ghz Wifi where s89 8GB only 2.4ghz...

M8 Has Samsung Nand Rom Chips ...

Comment

Originally posted by TMx View Post
            M8 Bottom Metal plate touches the CPU heat sink and helps CPU cooling so its not there to make box Heavier LOL

Both Boxes Has the same Wifi Antenna ... M8 Antenna in this review looks like removed and sticked back few times...

Glad M8 hasn't got OTG port ,SDCARD Update is a lot easier especially for the resellers !
            Pure nightmare to explain how to update via OTG port to end customers ,I believe its almost %90 impossible...

The M8 antenna came like that. I don't think all M8 will come like this, but it's known how chinese factories (and even more, resellers in places like Hua Qiang Bei) "fix" the problems.

I definitely wants OTG, even I can not understand an Android box without that in 2014.

Comment

Some correction :
              The Beelink M8 does have a 16GB version which has the 6330 wifi module. Its doing both 2.4 & 5Ghz.
              Beelink m8 does not have to be upgraded through OTG. It can also be updated via SD card and by over the air (eventualy).
              You will need a thermal pad between heatsink and bottomplate - even then will the heasink fins not conduct heat properly to the baselplate making that design basically useless.

Comment

Thank you for your sharing

Comment

Originally posted by Lokie View Post
                  Some correction :
                  The Beelink M8 does have a 16GB version which has the 6330 wifi module. Its doing both 2.4 & 5Ghz.
                  Beelink m8 does not have to be upgraded through OTG. It can also be updated via SD card and by over the air (eventualy).
                  You will need a thermal pad between heatsink and bottomplate - even then will the heasink fins not conduct heat properly to the baselplate making that design basically useless.
                  Correction?

"S89 8gb model only 2.4ghz"

is that wrong ?

Current design working quite good no overheating issue so far... Also M8 Case has much more and better Vent holes ...

Comment

Originally posted by Lokie View Post
                    Some correction :

Why do you need thermal compound paste when you have the thermal pad ?

this does the same job as paste sorry lokie before you post do some research. also the thermal pad would also disapiate the heat onto the metal plate.maybe they chose pads instead of paste

JustMe
                    Bugs are Sons of Glitches!

If you like my work and it's helped you, you can always shout me a beer or two Click - Here

Links : Visit JustMe ROMs - EM8 Square Roms - EM8 OpenELEC Rom - ADB GUI

JustMe

Comment

Originally posted by Javimetal View Post
                      It's time for 4K media player based in Android OS. First round for the Amlogic S802 SoC based, so we can compare today Beelink M8 / S82 vs M8 Box. Same name, different bodies. Who will win to be the king? Let's see.

BODY CONSTRUCTION

• In one hand we have the Beelink M8, it adopts circular design and CD vein in the surface, under lighting, it displays CD surface's gloss, very beautiful.
                      • M8 Box adopts square design, there isn't any special handling on the surface. Finish is not so good.

• Beelink M8/S82 and M8 almost have the same interfaces, Beelink M8/S82 adopts TF slot, M8 Box adopts SD slot.
                      • Beelink M8/S82 has OTG port, but M8 Box doesn't have (WTH is this???).
                      • It is strange that M8 Box didn't mount power button (that thing in the front is just a light). The Beelink M8/S82 has button.
                      • M8 Box has the connectors reversed, they designed a reversed motherboard.

A DEEP LOOKING INSIDE

Well, here is where we found the biggest difference. The Beelink M8 / S82 was well constructed, every part make sense. The cooling scheme is good and double-sized. Check the pictures and remember the S82 is the neutral version of Beelink M8 (round), both are exactly same inside. But later you will see the differences with the M8 Box (squared):

In the other hand, the squared M8 Box where we are really dissapointed. There is a metal piece too, but this one does not look in cooperation with heat cooling, so it's making this box heavy without any reason. Also we want to think, that WiFi antenna was not used before in a faulty unit and later was re-used again. If you are the manufacturer reading this, please, look at these things too.

Now we will put our attention in the really deep design. The Beelink again punches in the M8 Box "stomatch". No ESD protection ICs, less capacitors, holes and screws too near some components... well, it looks like that guys was really hurry to finish work or they just wanted save money from important components. But we don't see a big difference price between them.

ACCESSORIES

CONCLUSION

Clearly the Beelink M8 / S82 is better in hardware. It looks like th M8 Box was designed just to take advantage of the name "M8" choosen by Beelink and lack of lots of components, some ones are not referrer in the board, but anothers like the ESD protection are clearly not mounted just for money saving. We also got some problems playing 4K videos with the M8 Box (not full screen displayed, just a 1/3 part). The conclusion is Beelink M8 / S82 and M8 Box must compete in different leagues. High ending - Low ending.

Source: elezine
                      Powerpoint comparison: Beelink vs M8

3amp psu is bit of an over kill and 2amp would be more than suffecient

JustMe

If you like my work and it's helped you, you can always shout me a beer or two Click - Here

JustMe

Comment

I don't like this comparison ,Its not Fair at all... M8 is pure Junk according to this article! (which clearly is not)

you should Point the differences and Leave the conclusion to the Reader!

Comment

I don't like this comparison ,Its not Fair at all... M8 is pure Junk according to this article! (which clearly is not)

you should Point the differences and Leave the conclusion to the Reader!
                          Sorry, I'm not a reputed journalist or God, readers are free to think different if they want and publish their comments, this is an open forum.

Comment

Originally posted by Javimetal View Post
                            Sorry, I'm not a reputed journalist or God, readers are free to think different if they want and publish their comments, this is an open forum.
                            I have opened up my m8 square just then I can say the wifi antenna not like you picture you posted

also those caps got nothing to do with the circuit m8 different design and so is s82 so cut the rubbish out and stop trying to be technical as you have no idea.

Please do your self a favour

hmmm

JustMe

JustMe

Comment

Originally posted by JustMe View Post
                              I have opened up my m8 square just then I can say the wifi antenna not like you picture you posted

hmmm

JustMe
                              I hope and desire not all the antennas comes like this one. If so that is a really serious problem.

I personally opened hundreds of Android PCs and saw lots of "new" antennas until now.

If someone now is thinking "maybe it's not fair to speak about this antenna" can compare with the CNX's review too:

A few days ago, I wrote an Unboxing and Specs post about the M8, an Android TV Box powered by Amlogic S802 quad core Cortex A9 processor. The review took

• Bluetooth not working.
                              • Poor Wi-Fi performance.

As I said, hope these problems will be fixed. And if the manufacturer is reading this, please, put those ESD ICs in the assigned place.

IT WILL BE BENEFICIAL TO THE END USERS (that's the main reason why people is making reviews)

Comment

Working...
                              X