Logitech Harmony remote setup for ENY M8 Android TV Box

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The ENY M8 Android TV Box comes with a rather small remote with a limited set of buttons. Though the remote works quite well for navigating, it does not provide a smooth experience when using XBMC. Buttons like “play”, “pause”, “Next” and “Previous” are not available. Many people have a programmable universal remote. Those with a Logitech Harmony are in luck; after many hours of puzzling I created a full set of configuration files for the IR-controller, Android and XBMC, including explanations, to fully make use of the universal remote.

See: Logitech Harmony remote setup for ENY M8 Android TV Box

Related thread on freaktab: Prometheus Universal Remote Setup (For any Amlogic board with IR)

Looks great I'll give it a try this weekend, one question, I found a configuration that seems to work so far, partially, but it stops working whenever there is a keyboard input on the screen, does your configuration solves this? Also, I remember the old xbmc days on the first generation of xbox, it was possible to use the numeric keyboard on the remote to enter letters, in a multi-tap fashion, do you think this is possible as well? Thanks a lot!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Hi, great work. However one week too late for me .......
      For others who are not into command line editing and such like me:

i bought a FLIRC ( no association whatsoever with the company), a usb dongle that can mimick keybord presses, and remote control commands of your Harmony can easily be linked and stored on the stick ( so it is cross platform).

First i installed a new apparatus as mulimedia pc (htpc) microsoft media center computer.
      That way the remote is sending out MCE codes, which i can link to key presses.

then i linked all relevant keyboard commands to the logitech harmony one in my case, had some issues on Win7 but software is ok on win 8.1 64.

everything learned the config is on the stick, which I attach with an usb extender cable to the M8

m8 seems to generate ir commamds itself so i shielded the sides of the dongle with tape leaving the sensors free. With the extender cable the usb lies out of reach of any ir interference.

works like a charm!

cheers!

Marcel

Comment

Originally posted by Carccaussa View Post
        Looks great I'll give it a try this weekend, one question, I found a configuration that seems to work so far, partially, but it stops working whenever there is a keyboard input on the screen, does your configuration solves this? Also, I remember the old xbmc days on the first generation of xbox, it was possible to use the numeric keyboard on the remote to enter letters, in a multi-tap fashion, do you think this is possible as well? Thanks a lot!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
        Do you mean the on-screen Android keyboard of the M8? With the original M8 remote I noticed that the on-screen Android keyboard couldn't be controlled using the M8's original remote controller. At least not with the remote in 'keyboard mode'. Never tried the 'mouse mode'. 'Mouse mode' actually didn't work well at all.

I haven't seen that 'multi-tap' functionality in XBMC to generate letters. Please let me know if you find out how to configure that. Note that my configuration maps the number 1-4 on the remote to control other functionality. You should disable these if you plan to use that multi-tap functionality:

; <one>XBMC.ActivateWindow(subtitlesearch)</one>
        ; <two>SubtitleDelayPlus</two>
        ; <three>SubtitleDelayMinus</three>
        ; <four>SubtitleDelay</four>

Comment

Can you post the Vendor_0001_Product_0001.kl and the remote.conf separately? I'm looking at implementing this on my Minix x8h (amlogic).

Thanks

Comment

Can you post the Vendor_0001_Product_0001.kl and the remote.conf separately? I'm looking at implementing this on my Minix x8h (amlogic).

Thanks

Comment

Thanks for posting this wonderful info on how to possibly setup my Harmony One Remote with my MXIII Box. It seems simple enough to have a play with. Then again I've been fighting with lirc, and its Linux kernel replacements in VDR for a few good years now. So simple may be a relative term here.

But, I'd like to ask is can this Key Table File be altered in such a way as to force a working T9 Numerical Text Entry... With 0 as a Space Bar?

If there's currently anything I truly dislike about my MXIII right now, it would have to be the lack of a fully working T9 Remote Keyboard.

THX...

Comment

Originally posted by amain View Post
                The ENY M8 Android TV Box comes with a rather small remote with a limited set of buttons. Though the remote works quite well for navigating, it does not provide a smooth experience when using XBMC. Buttons like “play”, “pause”, “Next” and “Previous” are not available. Many people have a programmable universal remote. Those with a Logitech Harmony are in luck; after many hours of puzzling I created a full set of configuration files for the IR-controller, Android and XBMC, including explanations, to fully make use of the universal remote.

See: Logitech Harmony remote setup for ENY M8 Android TV Box

Related thread on freaktab: Prometheus Universal Remote Setup (For any Amlogic board with IR)
                thanks for your great work but im honestly lost, any chance you could give really simple instructions?

Comment

Originally posted by danfozzy View Post

Thanks
                  I'm sorry, but I don't have access to an M8 at the moment.

Comment

Originally posted by Ichijoe View Post
                    Thanks for posting this wonderful info on how to possibly setup my Harmony One Remote with my MXIII Box. It seems simple enough to have a play with. Then again I've been fighting with lirc, and its Linux kernel replacements in VDR for a few good years now. So simple may be a relative term here.

But, I'd like to ask is can this Key Table File be altered in such a way as to force a working T9 Numerical Text Entry... With 0 as a Space Bar?

If there's currently anything I truly dislike about my MXIII right now, it would have to be the lack of a fully working T9 Remote Keyboard.

THX...
                    That would indeed be interesting, however, I'm not aware of a feature/config option in the remotecfg config file to allow for such. Maybe software (like XBMC) can emulate such a feature. 3 times pressing '2' within n milliseconds could be turned into a 'c' for example.

Comment

Originally posted by silvacrest11 View Post
                      thanks for your great work but im honestly lost, any chance you could give really simple instructions?
                      Welcome. And sorry, the instructions are indeed rather technical and assume quite some background knowledge. Explaining all would take me to much time.

Comment

Warning this will get rather technical... Perhaps Someone with a Camera / Screen Capture Device, could make a beter Video howto on this Subject... Since I have neither I can only offer you such a Howto...

Things you will need...

Rooted SSH/SFTP Daemon: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d....sshsftpDaemon
                        Putty: http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/
                        WinSCP: http://winscp.net/eng/index.php
                        A Logitech Harmony Remote, and the Logitech Harmony Remote Software 7.7.0. or whatever Version is required for the newer Devices then the "One" In which case your on your own!
                        A M82 - 1G or S82 -2G MXIII style Box... Which should already be rooted at stock! For simplicity's sake I shall from henceforth call this the "Device"...

What you need to do:

Go to Play Store on your "Device", and download the Rooted SSH/SFTP Daemon, and in the Options Sections change the default Password from 1234abc to something else. And for the moment, flag it to autostart at boot too! That way you can still get into the Box, should you lose the Remote connection.

Now head off to your "PC" [Windows ONLY], If you were on something as technical as Linux... Then I wouldn't have to spell it out for you, or anyone else reading this....

Download the Putty, and WinSCP versions for your version of Windows.

Open Putty, and point it to your "Device", the easiest way to get the IP, might be from the Box itself. Otherwise find the IP Address to the "Device" on your Router. Ex: root@<DEVICE IP> Click the "Yes" Box, and enter the Password you chose otherwise 1234abc, if you hadn't changed it.

At the prompt type in: mount -o remount,rw /system
                        Then minimize the Window.

Open WinSCP, again point it to the DEVICE IP and login with root & (Your Password)

You can then basically go to: http://www.zoomeren.nl/2014/06/28/lo...ndroid-tv-box/
                        and, copypasta everything from Line 107 onwards, then paste that into a File which you'll need to rename as "remote.conf"

Again if you plan to Clone (Assuming Logitech's web-end Configuration Software allows for it?), the Power Button, as "Power On"... Then you can put a "#" before Line 158.. And add the new Key function (Your Device may vary!) as Key 704*

*If you read the Article at zoomeren.nl. Its been pretty much spelled out as to howto find your Scancodes, and then program the new PIVOS Ones to replace the stock NEC Ones.

So once you have your replacement remote.conf. The last thing you should do is to rename the stock remote.conf to remote.conf.orig before moving the new remote.conf to the Device, and then rebooting it.

Comment

Damn! zoomeren.nl is down, could someone provide me the related files?
                          I need to reconfigure keys for my M8+XBMC+Harmony One

Thanks
                          Lucas

Comment

Originally posted by Lucas Rey View Post
                            Damn! zoomeren.nl is down, could someone provide me the related files?
                            I need to reconfigure keys for my M8+XBMC+Harmony One

Thanks
                            Lucas
                            Sorry for the down-time. zoomeren.nl is up again.

Comment

Originally posted by amain View Post
                              Sorry for the down-time. zoomeren.nl is up again.
                              You sure? For me is still not reachable!

Comment

Working...
                              X