No announcement yet.

OpenElec on EM8

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

everything is ethernet connected i don't think it happens with openelec on my mx2 box but now i'm just gonna stream any old movie on this m8 box to see what happens,it doesn't occur when i stream from xbmc on my desktop,again a very minor problem for me as all my own media plays fine

Comment

May as well stream something that will stretch Openelec's legs? Transformers Extinction? Lucy, if you have to stare at anything for 2 hours, may as well be Scarlett..

Good luck.

Comment

we think alike Lucy is streaming

Comment

Originally posted by Zahir View Post
          @al8782

Let's start you off from a clean slate.

1. Download this file and unzip it to an empty SD card. (Never mind if the file seems to duplicate what you have, we need to be absolutely sure you are working with the right build).

MEGA provides free cloud storage with convenient and powerful always-on privacy. Claim your free 50GB now!

You should end up with only 2 files on the SD card.

2. Get your box into 720p mode by installing any Finless rom and selecting 720p video mode from Settings. Leave the box in that mode.

3. Follow the installation steps I outlined in my original post. Use the SD card prepared in 1 above (it should have just 2 files) and select the zip file on there.

Good luck, this should work for you unless your box came from Mars.
          Ok I see what I've been doing wrong. When I was opening the rar file, I was doing it on my desktop. Now I have a lot of icons and downloads on my desktop. So when the rar file was done opening all I was seeing was the zip file on my desktop not the recovery.img. The only file I was putting on my sdcard when flashing was the zip not the recovery.

It's funny when I was looking at my desk top yesterday, I seen a recovery file on it but it was no where near the zip file and I had no idea were it came from.

Thanks for your help, I'll give it a try again.

Comment

OpenElec on EM8

With my config file, your remote is working at 98 per cent - which is the best anyone has gotten so far, and rather more than MetalKettle is able to coax from his box.

Yes, power on/wake is not properly implemented in this build of OpenElec. And Suspend is the only way to shutdown without a reboot.

Your dropouts seem to be a network issue since your Fire TV is also affected.

Do they still occur in OpenElec? And are you on wifi or Ethernet? Some routers don't play well with some wireless security protocols. You could look into that, also change channels etc.
            Ive actually got my box to the state as yours but managing the keymaps via xbmc instead of linux.

Comment

OpenElec on EM8

Originally posted by doubleorseven View Post
              Hey i got you a little something

i modified the /etc/shadow file that hold the hashed passwords in the SYSTEM file.
              in order to replace the one in your box you need to run a python script at start up.

please follow step by step. the script is not meant to keep you safe in case you don't follow the steps.

1. download this: sshfix
              2. extract it and copy the autoexec.py file into you MX Userdata shared folder
              3. copy the SYSTEM file into you MX Download shared folder
              4. restart your MX box.
              5. wait a few seconds after startup and a dialog box should pop. if the box is empty it means everything went ok! if you see text in the box, write me back with the error and i'll help you out.
              6. delete the autoexec.py and the SYSTEM file from the shared folders.

That's it! now you can login with the root : openelec credentials.

if anything goes wrong you can use Zahir's method to restore the box.

Enjoy your weekend
              Very nice. Will give this a try when I get home.

Comment

Originally posted by MetalKettle View Post
                Ive actually got my box to the state as yours but managing the keymaps via xbmc instead of linux.
                Great - any road that leads to Rome.

Comment

Originally posted by al8782 View Post
                  Ok I see what I've been doing wrong. When I was opening the rar file, I was doing it on my desktop. Now I have a lot of icons and downloads on my desktop. So when the rar file was done opening all I was seeing was the zip file on my desktop not the recovery.img. The only file I was putting on my sdcard when flashing was the zip not the recovery.

It's funny when I was looking at my desk top yesterday, I seen a recovery file on it but it was no where near the zip file and I had no idea were it came from.

Thanks for your help, I'll give it a try again.
                  As I said to Snelsy, who had good success earlier today, be sure to have the SD card OUT when you do the toothpick thing. You want to get to your stock recovery first. Then insert the card and proceed. Good luck.

Comment

Great to read and after the first brain cleaning coffee.
                    We now have SSH....Wooo

Filezilla, PuTTy and Winscp all working.

Originally posted by doubleorseven View Post
                    Hey i got you a little something

i modified the /etc/shadow file that hold the hashed passwords in the SYSTEM file.
                    in order to replace the one in your box you need to run a python script at start up.
                    treboR
                    Please consider
                    Donating to Freaktab

Comment

As I said to Snelsy, who had good success earlier today, be sure to have the SD card OUT when you do the toothpick thing. You want to get to your stock recovery first. Then insert the card and proceed. Good luck.
                      When you go to ext and then sdard is the only file you see the zip? Because even with the recovery.img on the card it doesn't show up in the sdcard section under ext.

I just want to make sure because I don't see it and I did put it on there. And I'm still getting stuck on openelec splash screen. I'm doing it again and going to have to pull the power plug to power it off since the remote won't do it. I rebooted last time and it didn't work. And I do have finless's rom installed first and 720 set.

Comment

When you go to ext and then sdard is the only file you see the zip? Because even with the recovery.img on the card it doesn't show up in the sdcard section under ext.

I just want to make sure because I don't see it and I did put it on there. And I'm still getting stuck on openelec splash screen. I'm doing it again and going to have to pull the power plug to power it off since the remote won't do it. I rebooted last time and it didn't work. And I do have finless's rom installed first and 720 set.
                        Yes, you should only see the zip. That's what you flash.

Did you do a factory reset after your flash?

Comment

Yes, you should only see the zip. That's what you flash.

Did you do a factory reset after your flash?
                          Yes I boot into recovery do a couple data/factory resets, wipe cache partition. Insert sdcard with both files and choose the zip file, it installs and after it installs I do a wipe data/factory reset again and reboot.

I'm installing finless rom again and installing openelec and not rebooting this time. Just pulling the plug

Comment

OK, full marks for persistence.

If this method still doesn't work, have you considered my TWRP alternative? No guarantees there either, but it does by-pass the zip file install process.

Comment

OpenElec on EM8

Did anyone have success flashing the TWRP backup?

Comment

Yes I boot into recovery do a couple data/factory resets, wipe cache partition. Insert sdcard with both files and choose the zip file, it installs and after it installs I do a wipe data/factory reset again and reboot.

I'm installing finless rom again and installing openelec and not rebooting this time. Just pulling the plug
                                It's just not working with my box, all the other roms I install work. I have the M9&M8_V0.92

I'm just going to wait until Codesnake finishes his rom. I use his Openelec rom on my Mx2. I'm pretty sure he has the same box as me.

Comment

Working...
                                X