Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help! OTT M8 Bad Flash Recovery using shorted Nand pins.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help! OTT M8 Bad Flash Recovery using shorted Nand pins.

I recently bought an M8 I'd done a little reading before buying it saw their were various ROMS floating around here in the forum so bought one. I was unable to access the Playstore all the apps said incompatible, it came with XBMC installed. I starting looking on the forum here about the problem and thought I'd flash Bobs Finless Rom.
    I Got into recovery tried to install and got a message about file verification and the rom wouldn't install. So I did some more reading couldn't really figure why it wouldn't install so tried to look for a stock Rom update for it and came across the updated Rom at geekbuying for the M8 "M8_K200A_ap6330_03282014A_0516" which apparently fixed the playstore issue. So I got into recovery again and the file starting flashing straight away automatically. I left it to finish and rebooted.
    When it shut down all I had was a red led no blue led and unable to start it up or get back into recovery, totally nothing. So I had a good read around and managed to get some life back out of it by using the shorting the nand pins 17+18 method.

I've formated an SD card with the AMLogic Bootmaker tool using the u-boot file that comes with the tool and formated the 2Gb SD as FAT. What I get when I'm in recovery is errors and no matter what I select is the same message's "see the pic below". I've tried a few ROMs now, some boot to recovery some start to boot; ie the blue led starts up the screen starts to detect a signal then nothing.

I know there are just a few clones out there, mine is an M8 v1.1 I've taken some pics of it any one know if its genuine or not I've searched around seen a few different PCB's. it's pretty bricked though I'm getting so far but stuck here at this point. I've searched a lot over the net and tried most things, tried an 8Gb SD card, different file formats for the SD card, different ROMS, and different methods for shorting the pins. I'm getting into recovery any advise much appreciated.

Recovery error
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20141115_085822.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	190.5 KB
ID:	439702

PCB Version
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20141115_090022.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	224.4 KB
ID:	439701

Nand Pin shorting 17+18
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Klinux; 11-15-2014, 13:06.

Do you have a usb keyboard (with a trackpad) or a usb mouse?

If so, you can try flashing a backup of OpenElec with TWRP from an SD card. That would restore your M8 with the best rom currently available for it. It's a Linux build and you can read about it on this forum.

1. Download my backup from here:

MEGA provides free cloud storage with convenient and powerful always-on privacy. Claim your free 50GB now!

2. Unzip to a clean, formatted SD card. You should have one file and one folder on the card

3. With keyboard or mouse plugged in, insert card and reboot box with toothpick method(or whatever you use to get into recovery). This time, you should boot into TWRP.

4. Select "Restore" and choose the backup. Fingers crossed, it will be flashed to your box.

Even if you can't flash my backup, try a factory reset of the box from TWRP. This may restore some lost partitions. Then try flashing the backup again.

Good luck!
    Last edited by Zahir; 11-15-2014, 14:49.

Comment

You have a clone pcb which could be a problem... http://www.freaktab.com/showthread.p...-another-CLONE
      And this describes the problems to unbrick the square one http://www.freaktab.com/showthread.p...l=1#post248345
      RK3288 Devices
      - Overview BOX (LINK !)
      - Overview STICK (Dongle) (LINK !)

MINIX NEO: Z64 W/A - (Intel Z3735F); X8-H Plus - (Amlogic S812H); A2 Lite (sponsored by minix.com.hk)
      UGOOS UT3S (4/32GB with fan) - FW 2.0.6 - (RK3288) (sponsored by GearBest.com)
      Tronsmart Draco AW80 Meta (2/16GB) - FW v2.0rc3 - (Allwinner A80) (sponsored by GeekBuying.com)
      Beelink / UBOX R89 - FW 111k4110_1219 - (RK3288) (sponsored by Netxeon (Beelink))

RK3188: pcb => "CH001 1332 TN-BX09_V2.1" (K-R42 / CS918...) => wasser KK 1.0.3 (old rev)
      Fly Mouse Mini Wireless Keyboard with 2 mode learning IR remote 'iPazzPort KP-810-16'

Comment

Originally posted by Zahir View Post
        Do you have a usb keyboard (with a trackpad) or a usb mouse?

If so, you can try flashing a backup of OpenElec with TWRP from an SD card. That would restore your M8 with the best rom currently available for it. It's a Linux build and you can read about it on this forum.

1. Download my backup from here:

MEGA provides free cloud storage with convenient and powerful always-on privacy. Claim your free 50GB now!

2. Unzip to a clean, formatted SD card. You should have one file and one folder on the card

3. With keyboard or mouse plugged in, insert card and reboot box with toothpick method(or whatever you use to get into recovery). This time, you should boot into TWRP.

4. Select "Restore" and choose the backup. Fingers crossed, it will be flashed to your box.

Even if you can't flash my backup, try a factory reset of the box from TWRP. This may restore some lost partitions. Then try flashing the backup again.

Good luck!
        Many thanks for the info, unfortunately the box won't boot into recovery using the backup, the led turns blue but it just doesnt enter recovery. I've tried a few images some get into recovery some just dont get to recovery. as "no spam" says its attack of the clones. I think that because the box lacks any real access via OTG there is very little way back. I suspected it was a clone from the outset when it wouldn't load any firmware other than the one that bricked it. I got a refund from the seller without argument and they left the box with me. I've since replaced it with a Gbox MXII which does what I need it to do.
        I tried the OpenELEC-CodeSnake-Meson8-K200-devel-320a148 which got into recovery but displayed the same errors., I had high hopes that the backup Zahir posted would get the box back.

Comment

Bad luck indeed.

From what you say, I understand that the box won't default to the SD card when you boot it into recovery? So it's not even reading the TWRP recovery img on the card?

If you can get as far as the stock recovery from one of your other zips, you could try rebooting to recovery from there, after swapping in the TWRP card.. If you get TWRP loaded, there may still be a chance.

Alternatively, if you can get into stock recovery somehow, try flashing this zip from the card.

This is a flashable - as opposed to bootable - version of TWRP for the M8.

Update: I should have realized that if the box reads CodeSnake's install files, it does default to the SD card.

So it's just not loading TWRP (or anything else). But it does load Codesnake's recovery? If so, try replacing the recovery.img in Codesnake's files with the TWRP recovery.img in my backup zip (1st download). Can you deceive this renegade box into loading TWRP that way?
          Last edited by Zahir; 11-15-2014, 22:19.

Comment

Bad luck indeed.

From what you say, I understand that the box won't default to the SD card when you boot it into recovery? So it's not even reading the TWRP recovery img on the card?

If you can get as far as the stock recovery from one of your other zips, you could try rebooting to recovery from there, after swapping in the TWRP card.. If you get TWRP loaded, there may still be a chance.

Alternatively, if you can get into stock recovery somehow, try flashing this zip from the card.

This is a flashable - as opposed to bootable - version of TWRP for the M8.
            Ok I've managed to get TWRP running using the version for the EM8 from the link at the top of the thread here, I haven't run anything yet but Im looking at the TWRP screen running from the SD card. any advice on how to proceed.

Comment

Originally posted by Klinux View Post
              Ok I've managed to get TWRP running using the version for the EM8 from the link at the top of the thread here, I haven't run anything yet but Im looking at the TWRP screen running from the SD card. any advice on how to proceed.
              OK! Did you boot TWRP from the SD card directly? Can you do so again easily? If so, from TWRP do a factory reset and get back to TWRP.

Then, insert the sd card with my TWRP backup folder, with keyboard or mouse, select external sd card as your source. click on restore. select the one choice. Then pray....

Comment

OK! Did you boot TWRP from the SD card directly? Can you do so again easily? If so, from TWRP do a factory reset and get back to TWRP.

Then, insert the sd card with my TWRP backup folder, with keyboard or mouse, select external sd card as your source. You should be offered one choice. Select it and click on restore. Then pray....
                Yeh I copied the TWRP files to the SD card and shorted the pins holding the recovery button while powering on and it went straight into TWRP, I can get back into recovery easily I have the small pin to short the nand pins stuck with a small piece of blue tack so powering on and pushing the reset is easy enough.

One question how do I do the factory reset, I have the option to install, backup, restore, wipe, mount, settings, advanced, reboot.

I'm gonna give your advice a go, fingers crossed I shall return!

Comment

Yeh I copied the TWRP files to the SD card and shorted the pins holding the recovery button while powering on and it went straight into TWRP, I can get back into recovery easily I have the small pin to short the nand pins stuck with a small piece of blue tack so powering on and pushing the reset is easy enough.

I'm gonna give your advice a go, fingers crossed I shall return!
                  Good luck. Make sure you select external sd card as your backup source and have the right card inserted.

As long as you can boot into TWRP from SD card, even if the backup flash fails, you have the option to do factory resets and try flashing regular zip images.

Comment

Good luck. Make sure you select external sd card as your backup source and have the right card inserted.
                    I edited my post as you were replying which option in TWRP do I select to factory reset, what im gonna do is set up your backup files on a 2gb SD card I have do the factory reset from the currently EM8 TWRP reboot back into recovery using my current method, should I try to use your backup with TWRP once I reset if that doesnt work use the working TWRP then swap the SD card over once the EM8 TWRP is running.
                    Many thanks for taking the time to help, I figure this is gonna be an issue for many and if I can get it fixed it will benefit a few who get in the same position.

Comment

I edited my post as you were replying which option in TWRP do I select to factory reset, what im gonna do is set up your backup files on a 2gb SD card I have do the factory reset from the currently EM8 TWRP reboot back into recovery using my current method, should I try to use your backup with TWRP once I reset if that doesnt work use the working TWRP then swap the SD card over once the EM8 TWRP is running.
                      Many thanks for taking the time to help, I figure this is gonna be an issue for many and if I can get it fixed it will benefit a few who get in the same position.

Once you have TWRP running - whichever version works - all you need is to insert the SD card which contains the TWRP folder in the zip you first downloaded from me. You won't be booting from this card, just selecting the backup from within your running TWRP. So the recovery img there is not required.
                      Last edited by Zahir; 11-15-2014, 23:10.

Comment

I performed the factory reset I still got the failed to mount errors but TWRP did say it had been successful. I rebooted using the working EM8 TWRP and then switched to your Backup file on another SD card but TWRP had issue's with not seeing the card cause it thought the original 8gb card was still installed. I had to leave to go to work overnight but I'm gonna spend a bit more time trying things when I'm back home. I did have a brief explore around TWRP and can see that I may have a few options. What im gonna try is putting your backup on the 8Gb SD card that has the working EM8 TWRP on it, TWRP didn't seem to recognise that I'd switched over the SD Card. I suppose ADB is an option. I did read a few guides about mounting failed issue's on other android devices and partitions issue's and how to repair that using ADB commands. Just getting TWRP running has given me a little more hope and more access to the device.
                        I'm gonna have another go at things later when I'm back home and I'll let you know how I get on.
                        Last edited by Klinux; 11-16-2014, 04:19.

Comment

You get a triple A rating from me for perseverance, resource and attitude, young man.

Last suggestion: if TWRP didn't see the sd card you swapped in, put the version that works on the same card as the backup (replacing the version that's there). Then boot from that card, with no need to swap.
                          Last edited by Zahir; 11-16-2014, 02:27.

Comment

Well hopefully if I can get this rescued I'll post a guide on how so others can benefit. I'm sure there will be others with the same predicament with so many of these on the market.
                            While this one appears to be a "clone" I have to say it's well constructed, the PCB is well manufactured, I also noticed that it has the option for an additional Nand on the PCB board.
                            I also read elsewhere about shorting pins to get the USB to act as an OTG port but without a .img file that wont really be of benefit but may be an option in the future. It's my own fault bricking this, I really should know better but part of learning about this stuff is gained by fixing it!.

Comment

I've spent a little time trying things today still getting errors E: can't mount data etc, It seems that TWRP can't access the Nand, format comes back with the same line of errors about not being able to mount E:
                              Ive been reading up on the mount error mainly for other devices, I cant really fully get to the bottom of it some say TWRP could be the issue though I'm inclined to think the Nand partitions are corrupt.
                              I'm kinda stuck at this point, it may be as simple as a faulty Nand chip. I'm gonna do a bit more trawling of the net and have another go. the lack of ODB or a .img rom rules out trying to push the rom.

Comment

Working...
                              X