No announcement yet.

bricked my m8 square - need help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

my laptop now sees the box and driver seems to be installed, now what img file should i Flash with the tool ? everyone seems to provide zip files

Comment

only image in that format is probox2

try this real quick before you move to another box firmware

bootcardmaker my uboot my recovery and copy the finless rom over the the zip in the zip thas is your have the following in your files to copy from the finless rom is

use the bootimage i gave you for bootcardmaker
      em8_finless18.zip
      factory_update_param.aml
      my recovery

hold recovery button in to boot sd card see if it works

the image you need is here this will be probox 2
      http://probox2.com/category/probox2-ex-firmware/ not the tf card the other one

Comment

Thank you Grant2258!!!!! I am up and running using probox 2 firmware flashed via USB. It is funny that I got USB working with no SD card inserted and not shorting any pins. Good to know for the future.
        Remote does not work (Any ideas?) usb keyboard and mouse do work. I will try to flash finless next. Is Finless the best ROM for this box?

Comment

Your probox2 now don't mess about you could break it again. There us a remote.zip in the forums just do a search for it

Comment

You basically blanked your nand that's why it boots. If you wanna message about make sure you still have to a I've been told it's gone with it hold the recovery button in and see if the pc finds the box if it does just experiment with what you like

Comment

Finless is up and running and remote is working fine. I think mission is accomplished for now. Thank you!!!!

Comment

You are very welcome my good man enjoy the box

Comment

Thank god I found this thread

I got 2 of these units that seem to be bricked. The blue LED won't turn on at all, and nothing appears on the screen. I can't even get into recovery mode, and I'm completely lost when it comes to flashing the firmware via OTG. Any suggestions?
                  Last edited by iLikeRedBull; 12-21-2014, 04:13. Reason: typo

Comment

did you try to short the NAND pins to force it in to recovery?

Comment

My board seems to be slightly different than what i've seen on the pictures... but still got the same chip (29F64G08CBABA) so I guess it should work.
                      Here's a picture of the board.

I'm just not sure of what the procedure is, should jump the pins and then plug it in or vice versa? Do I also have to hold the recovery button while plugging it in? Can you please clarify. Thanks

Comment

Short pin 7 and 8 it's the tiny do that is pin 1. Then power up

Comment

pin 1 is near little dot. ask someone for help to hold a metal needle or nail there. I used scope's probe. Don'r worry if you accidentally short other pins, it's ok. I do not think they have GND and VCC next to each other anywhere. once those pins are shorted, hold the button and apply the power. SD card should be inserted. If you want to try USB, have jumper installed. For me the only way PC saw USB connection was when nothing was pressed or shorted, and no SD inserted, but each case can be individual. You will not see anything on the screen, but USB might be working like in my case. This is how i salvaged my box.

Comment

Another tip is use a straight razor blade to do the shorting if your can find or think of anything else. I personally used a straight razor blade on small chip legs ( chipping the ole ps2) to stop solder splash on leg next to where you where soldering but can be use for shorting as well and is easy to work with.

Comment

different board?

Hi team,

I have an M8 that is stuck in standby, or so it seems. Thee Tv does not show any device connected. I have tried several roms and used the SD + reset button pressed method but nothing worked, the recovery screen does not even appear. After reading this thread, i decided to open the box to try and short the pins, but my board looks a lot different than the ones shown here.

Do you have any ideas?

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20150305_114730.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	206.2 KB
ID:	437334
                              Last edited by sioannides; 03-05-2015, 10:38.

Comment

I read through the whole thread and I gotta say that's a lot of jumbled up info and a bit confusing. I was trying to get some info for my friend as it looks like he's got the same issue as ilikeredbull (blue light comes on for a split second then goes off). few questions:

1) What can I try to revive the box before going with the pin shorting?
                                2) If doing the pin shorting, does the box have to be connected to the pc or can I hook it up to the tv with an sdcard plugged in that has stock firmware/recovery on it to flash the stock firmware?

Comment

Working...
                                X