Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Minix X8-H 5.1.1 , Flashed with ProBox2-ex firmware

Edit: Use this Firmware to update.
    MEGA provides free cloud storage with convenient and powerful always-on privacy. Claim your free 20GB now

I just flashed PROBOX2 EX+ (PLUS) – 20161221 (5th firmware release) fw to my Minix X8-H ( NOT THE PLUS version )
    http://probox2.com/probox2-ex-plus-2...mware-release/
    ( all instructions + files there ).
    Minix X8-H box came up after 6 min.

Tested now WIFI + USB > Works well

There is also Hebrew language... LOL

After the flashing , the IR remote won't work.
    In order to fix it, extract the attached file ( remote.conf ) to that folder ( \system\etc ) and reboot.

How to upgrade PROBOX2 EX / EX+ / Z?

Preparation

Download the firmware and upgrade tool as below:

A. Latest PROBOX2 EX / EX+ / Z firmware
    • Go to "Support" -> then select the model name PROBOX2 EX / EX+ / Z
    • Download the firmware file (please do NOT download TF card version!)
    • Extract the zip file and you will get a .img file (for firmware upgrade on Procedure section below)

B. Upgrade tool PROBOX2-amlogic-upgrade-tool.zip
    • Download here: PROBOX2-amlogic-upgrade-tool
    • Extract PROBOX2-amlogic-upgrade-tool.zip
    • Run the EXE file (e.g. setup_v2.0.5.15.exe) to install it.
    • After installed, USB_Burning_Tool will be shown on your desktop / start menu.

C. Download and install drivers (make sure that there is no drivers problem with your PC) from Moborobo, or here: http://download.moborobo.com/downloa..._official).exe
    • Make sure that Moborobo has been installed.
    Procedures

A. Launch USB_Burning_Tool as below:

USB_Burning_Tool_01

B. You can change the language to English as below:

USB_Burning_Tool_02

C. Click “File” and choose”Import image”, choose the .img file you just download.

USB_Burning_Tool_03

D.
    For EX / EX+, please connect with power adapter and do NOT power on. Then connecting the USB cable between EX/EX+ (OTG port) and your PC / Laptop (USB port). Prepare a thin metal stick / paper clip, then press and hold the restore button (inside the AV port hole). Then press Power button at the same time.

For Z, please do NOT connect with power adapter. Prepare a thin metal stick / paper clip, then press and hold the restore button (inside the AV port hole). Then connecting the USB cable between Z (USB port near TF card) and your PC / Laptop (USB port).

After 3-5 seconds USB_Burning_Tool will detect the USB device as below:

USB_Burning_Tool_04

E. You can release "Restore" button.

F. Click "Start" to start firmware upgrade, it should take around 4-8 mins and please do NOT unplug USB cable of PROBOX2 EX/EX+/Z during firmware upgrade.

USB_Burning_Tool_05

G. After finished firmware upgrade, it will auto disconnected. Now you can unplug it and connect to TV again.

USB_Burning_Tool_06

Â*
    Attached Files
    Last edited by tobenary; 07-29-2017, 16:18.

wasser , Finless did you "played" with the Probox2-ex firmware back days and modified it?

New link for download use it:
    http://www.minixforum.com/threads/pr...-2#post-138169
    Last edited by tobenary; 07-21-2017, 13:18.

Comment

Minix original ir remote is not working

Comment

Edit my first post for fixing the IR remote issue

Comment

Is probox2 ex firmware kitkat or lollipop?

On their website its kitkat same version as the minix x8-h kit kat PROBOX2-EX-20150801 (5th firmware release)

Android 4.4.2 (Kitkat)
          PROBOX2-EX-20150801
          Release date: 15-Sep-2015

It seems on probox website probox2ex+ and Probox2 Z firmwares are android Lollipop 5.1.1.

Comment

probox2ex+

Comment

Just wanted to say that I've done this with my X8-H and it the upgrade worked perfectly. It's great to get a new lease of life for such an old box and KODI 17.3 is now running very well for me. Only issue I have is that trying to power down to "sleep" just seems to reboot the box (Shutdown works though) and if I just leave it running, it cuts to a screensaver with the time displayed. If it sits there for more than 5-6 hours I can't get it to go back to the main desktop (using my Mele F10 airmouse). the pointer reappears and moves OK but that doesn't fully wake the system and no button clicks seem to register until I pull the power lead and do a hard reboot.

Shame Minix didn't at least support us this far with an official FW release. Have to say I paid the premium when the box was released expecting solid Minix hardware AND good updates for a decent amount of time. While 1 outta two ain't entirely bad, next purchase I'll go cheap (Well, cheaper anyway) and I'll just bin the box and upgrade after 12-18 months. It'll certainly not be any more expensive and I'll be able update to newer chipsets and features when I want.

But enough of a gripe, between working KODI and the other TV apps I've got working reliably, I'm really happy. So thanks again to OP for the heads-up on this upgrade .

Comment

I updated to this, but minix A2 air mouse doesn't work with all the buttons - even with the correct kl file. I needed to edit the generic.kl file and mod some keys:

Of the top of my head:
                Key 59 - that's the one with the 3 square dots
                key 60 - I think that was the one with the 3 lines - but I could have 59/60 mixed around the other way.
                key 240 - The key that allows you to switch between apps
                Key 172 - Home Key

I mapped these keys, but you can change them to open what you want, all the other keys were mapped properly.
                59 to CALENDAR
                60 to ENVELOPE - to bring up my email app
                172 HOME
                240 APP_SWITCH

Also use apk extactor to extract Minix default launcher and rename that to Probox2_EX_Launcher107.apk, replace that with the on found in system/apps I think it was - and when the minix boots it uses the minix launcher instead.

Comment

Hi guys!
                  My X8-H did perfectly well all you've said here - successfully flashed!
                  The only exception in my case... is that I've got a brick
                  When I push the power button, the blue power LED is on for a couple of seconds, my TV notice that it has some HDMI signal...for a couple of seconds also... and that's all.
                  The funny thing is that this is the only actions when I'm trying to activate recovery mode to flash something else or once again this firmware...
                  So seems that I'm done!
                  Unless you have some advice for me.

All the best and beware what you flash
                  This is my 1st failure in over 10 years of flashing all kind of devices, so shit happens...

Comment

Flash again via pc? 

Comment

I would my friend, but the device is not entering recovery mode anymore. Now I've seen that if I just powering it on, I can see it in my PC as a MTP device. I'm seeing the internal storage...
                      But if I try the "press reset with a paper-clip and the power button" method, to get into the recovery mode... it doesn't work...
                      More than this, after this failed atempt to get into the recovery mode, the behavior of the device when connect to the PC is like it would be powered off... although some sign of life exists - the red lite inside the optical audio connector, is on!

Comment

doesnt MTP device means the kernel is running? does adb work? from the pc try:
                        adb reboot bootloader
                        adb reboot recovery

Comment

Yes, you're right my friend. Something was running in there, but I've managed somehow to rebuild the movie of what I've did wrong...
                          I've made my installation "in blind", w/o any monitor and I didn't let the system enough time to make the 1st boot or the 1st start.
                          One of the things that fool me was the fact this fw is not keeping the power LED on. It's just flashing for a second or two at startup and that's all.
                          Anyway, I was able to get back on track using the SD card installation approach with a stock fw.
                          After that I've installed again this 5.1.1. This time with the monitor connected
                          Now I have a very nice Minix X8 with 5.1.1

Thank you for this!

One question I have: how can I have sound?
                          If I go in settings, to set ringtones/notifications, I can hear all those sounds (a little bit funny is the sound, but there is sound), but all the players are simply mute.
                          Thanks again

Comment

Originally posted by eac View Post
                            Yes, you're right my friend. Something was running in there, but I've managed somehow to rebuild the movie of what I've did wrong...
                            I've made my installation "in blind", w/o any monitor and I didn't let the system enough time to make the 1st boot or the 1st start.
                            One of the things that fool me was the fact this fw is not keeping the power LED on. It's just flashing for a second or two at startup and that's all.
                            Anyway, I was able to get back on track using the SD card installation approach with a stock fw.
                            After that I've installed again this 5.1.1. This time with the monitor connected
                            Now I have a very nice Minix X8 with 5.1.1

Thank you for this!

One question I have: how can I have sound?
                            If I go in settings, to set ringtones/notifications, I can hear all those sounds (a little bit funny is the sound, but there is sound), but all the players are simply mute.
                            Thanks again
                            If you're using a USB device with audio - such as minix A2 air mouse, this firmware doesn't have the correct drivers/modules installed for that - I think you need to use the original remote to get sounds working or a modded ko file (I think they are found in /system/lib/modules/).

Comment

Now that you're saying that, I remember that in the Minix fw too, I had to tick or untick something to not hear anymore the sound inside my MELE remote...which yes, it's a remote with audio.
                              So I have to use the original remote?
                              OK, this is not complicated, but if it's about modding some files... than maybe you'll give me a hint (or two...)

Well, even with the remote file from the last Minix official fw, my sound is absolutely gone.
                              Last edited by eac; 09-05-2017, 20:53. Reason: Feedback after testing another remote.config

Comment

Working...
                              X