create /dev/block/env on x8-h with probox2-ex

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

create /dev/block/env on x8-h with probox2-ex

Hi, Iam new to this forums, I see you guys did a great work here. I have a problem and need some help. I just installed the PROBOX2-EX firmware on my x8-h. it works great. Iam just having an issue that after I enable the CEC and set the screen position and turn off the tv the settings I changed dont persist. so I have to set the CEC and the screen position every time I turn on the tv, which sucks.

looking at the logcat, i see the process systemcontrol is trying to read the setting from the /dev/block/env device and it fails because of a CRC error, the /dev/block/env on my device is empty, fdisk says no partition table.

has anyone came across similar issue? what the type of this device should be? can anyone share the details of the /dev/block/env from a probox device?

thank you

Nevermind got it sorted out!

Comment

What was the resolution?
      R-TV BOX S10, Beebox N3150, Chuwi Hibox, Nvidia Shield, A95X Max

Comment

Originally posted by bluesmanuk View Post
        What was the resolution?
        I ended up patching the systemcontrol binary to bypass the CRC check. the systemcontrol then started to save the settings in the env partition. dirty fix, but works. why the uboot doesnt populate the env partition is a mystery to me.

btw, the screen position settings persist across reboots, but the CEC still goes off after the reboot, there seems to be another issue with CEC. Will try to look at it.

Comment

Thanks for sharing.

I'm sure that this may help others with the same issue in the future.
          R-TV BOX S10, Beebox N3150, Chuwi Hibox, Nvidia Shield, A95X Max

Comment

Originally posted by dedoz View Post

I ended up patching the systemcontrol binary to bypass the CRC check. the systemcontrol then started to save the settings in the env partition. dirty fix, but works. why the uboot doesnt populate the env partition is a mystery to me.

btw, the screen position settings persist across reboots, but the CEC still goes off after the reboot, there seems to be another issue with CEC. Will try to look at it.
            Can you post a link to your patched binary file please?

Comment

Originally posted by mrdude View Post

Can you post a link to your patched binary file please?
              attached! backup the original, just in case. remove the .txt extension.
              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by dedoz View Post

attached! backup the original, just in case. remove the .txt extension.
                Thank you for the quick reply and posting the file, I am sure others will appreciate this as much as I do.

Comment

Originally posted by mrdude View Post

Thank you for the quick reply and posting the file, I am sure others will appreciate this as much as I do.
                  No issue, enjoy!

Comment

Thank you Sir! I'm the 1st one appreciating (after mrdude , of course)

Comment

How can I copy systemcontrol file to the system directory? My ES file manager does not give access...
                      --------------
                      thanks, done everything: with new systemcontrol the screen size is saved after the restart. Thanks again!
                      Last edited by ruder1; 10-09-2017, 12:28.

Comment

Originally posted by ruder1 View Post
                        How can I copy systemcontrol file to the system directory? My ES file manager does not give access...
                        --------------
                        thanks, done everything
                        Use root explorer, when you try and copy it will ask if you want to set the folder to R/W mode - select yes, after you copy the file remember and set the file to the correct permission - octal 0644

Comment

Hello!
                          i tried this solution with last firmware PROBOX2-EX+-20161221.

I find systemcontrol file in system/bin. Copying the file on the rootet minix X8-H divice i killed my divice and had to install firmware again via usb BurningTool.
                          Whats going on here? What do you mean with *permission - octal 0644*? New permission for systemcontrol file?

Default permissions are:
                          System: 755
                          Bin: 755
                          systemcontrol: 755

Does this mean patched systemcontrol file gets the different permission 644?
                          Maybe the patched file doesn´t work with FW from 20161221 - patch is from august?

Thank´s for any help in this case - killed my device twice after copying the new file to system/bin with above permissions ...

regards
                          shwoDown.

Comment

I used an old ES Explorer version (2.x without all the addware) to copy the systemcontrol file.
                            I could not overwrite. So I renamed the original systemcontrol to systemcontrolOrg en then copied the new/edited/downloaded one in system/bin.
                            The original systemcontrol file had the following permissions:
                            Permissions:
                            rwx r-x r-x (equal to 755) (0644 is equal to rw-r--r--)

owner: (read, write, execute)
                            root
                            group: (read, execute)
                            shell
                            other: (read, execute)

after the new systemcontrol file was copied I had to change:
                            Permissions - change - remove the write for Group and Other
                            Group: from Root to Shell

After the first reboot the screensize was not saved, but changing the screensize again and doing a reboot again the screensize was the size I set it to.

Thanks a lot for the great work!

Comment

Working...
                            X