Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[REVIEW] Minix Neo X8-H (Set Top Box)

[REVIEW] Minix Neo X8-H (Set Top Box)

NOTE:This is a summay of the original articled located on my blog.

Acknowledgments

To the store Belchine for send me a sample of the product Minix Neo X8-H to test it and write this review.

Usage of this article

Author give permission to use this review, part of this or by a link reference, to anybody wants to use it, with only one condition that you must keep the author of this article, and the original source, that is on my blog.

For any update for the content of this article, i suggest to visit the link avobe.

Introduction

This is not the first time i reviewed a Minix product, and for this reason i have some expectations about the device itself. I know Minix is a quality manufacturer, that bring very good devices and support for their customers, and this anyone that checked one of these products can understand what i mean with this.

Visually, the device looks excact that any other Minix product. In fact, time ago i reviewed Minix Neo X7, and have exact aspect. This may be a point to consider if you think in a device that want to generate a specific brand of products (Minix Neo), but they can´t differentiate one each other. May be a little model logo/name in the chasis may be enought for solve this "detail" (that is not a real problem, really)

In the testings of the product, i have some issues with this, but most of these problems was generated by the firmware stock of the device, that is not running properly. Understanding that this is a software related problem, i focused in testing the device and obtain clear results on testings for offering here.

Hope you found this article interesting and useful.

Package contents(Unboxing y full description of the package contents)

When the package is opened, we found the following elements thats, i understand, are part of any standard shippment for this product.

• Minix Neo X8-H device
    • Remote Control
    • MicroUSB OTG Cable
    • MicroUSB Data Cable
    • HDMI Cable
    • Power supply
    • External wifi antenna
    • User's Manual
    • Quick guide

Benchmarks

For people that don´t know about these programs, i can tell (in short words) that a benchmark is a program or normalized test that runs on a device. These tests give points (usually, averaging many results) the performance of a device, in the way that the final total point may be useful to compare, in a simple and direct way, the general performance between many devices.

There are so many benchmarks on Google Play Store, but in my test usually i use the most populars.

For the running of these benchmarks, the initial conditions of the device are:

• CPU Frequency: 1.992 GHz *
    • CPU Governor: Performance
    • Screen Resolution: 1920x1080 pixels

* I tested with two firmwares, and show here the results of the last i installed (beta)

With the stock firmware, the device have so much hangs/freezes, even setting the max speed to 1.2GHz and governor = hotplug or interactive. Beta firmware is most stable and let to me to run at max speed of the CPU, and governor = performance.

Soul Calibur

This game have gamepad support and can be played without problems. There is no graphics glitches, except some specific slowdowns that don´t affect to the gameplay.

PPSSPP (Playstation Portable PSP)

The only PSP emulator for Android. This app can run many games in a playable way, and get so many updates to improve their emulation and new features.

Marvel vs Capcom

One of my favorites titles for testing and playing. I didn´t appreciate any problem in the gameplay.

Reicast (Dreamcast)

This great emulator allow to us to play our dreamcast games in android devices that don´t requires high end specs (but some decent needed). The emulator is under development, but for now can execute many games in smooth way.

Gamestreaming

With this section i want to test devices for gamestreaming, focused in control usage and wifi (strenght, stability, heating)

My tests are based on the article i wrote for gamestreaming "From PC to our Android Gaming Console" (in spanish, but you can use english translator of the blog), and this may help to bring examples of another kind of usages of the device.

Usually, i test with the same games, for comparing devices. You can visit my youtube channel for more gameplays on many devices, and compare with this.

Of course, the image quality of these gameplays are poor than original image on PC, but are enought (most of time) for normal gameplays. There are a little lag too, and for this reason i use games that can play correctly, even with this lag in sound, image and/or controls. For more info, i suggest to visit the link of the article i mentioned previously.

If you want to see these videos, i suggest to see on your device (mobile/android gaming device). These videos will looks well in small size screens. If you see them in your PC or similar, in full screen, of course you will see a low resolution image quiality, but for devices are enough for playing.

Pros, cons and improvements.

As in every product, there are pros and cons points that are good to mention in a clear way. These points will help to us to decide if the device features are enough for what the user are looking for in a device of this kind.

Pros are based on features that highlight, comparing the device with another similars, or these features improve the experience of the user.

In the another hand, the cons are these points that worse the experience, or the feature is not enough for fulfill what we expect from the device.

Finally, the improvements pints are some features or specs that i think must be improved in a supposed new version of the device, and will generate a better experience in my opinion.

As i mentioned at the beginning of this article, the unit that i tested appart to present few problems, but i will abstract about these problems for this section, because i understand is a very strange situation getting these problems in a device of this kind and brand.

Note: I will not take in consideration the specific problems of my unit. I gather info on the web and i confirm that is not a generalized problem on the device.

Cons

• Lan port is 100Mb/s Ethernet. I consider this device must come with, almost a Gigabit port.
    • Some fixeable problems in the firmware stock.
    • Remote control is have only so basic functions. I think this device can have some other functionality (included flymouse)
    • Bluetooth is not working 100% in the way they suppose to work. I get problems pairing some gaming controllers, and disconnection using bluetooth audio (headphones, bluetooth receiver, etc)

Improvements

• Include Flymouse or similar on the remote control.
    • Include Gigabit (1Gb) LAN port instead Ethernet (100Mb)
    • Include almost one USB 3.0
    • Include a webcam within the device chasis.

Conclusion

Was a little bit complicated testing this device, because the problems this give to me.

Frotunately, i solved most of these problems and tested the device, gathering info about it for bringing here in this article. The device is running ok for now, and is working so much (MUCH) better with the beta firmware than the stock. Hope Minix release a new official firmware soon for all these users that don´t know how to search and install beta firmwares.

The device is comfortable to be used with right devices, such an wireless keyboard+mouse. Is a very good alternative for consider if you need android on your tv for streaming video and for gaming, obviously considering on playing games that you can play on a device like this (without touch screen)

I´m not a big fan of XMBC, but as i tested, is so comfortable and feel as part of the device when using it. Any new user of this device will love this, for sure.

Final words

I really sorry about my delay publishing this review. I get some troubles with the devices and external situations that make to me hard to test normally and write this article, but finally i posted.

I really want this article may be helpful for these users that want to find some information about it.

Zalu2!

Deen0X

Yeah definitely a little late in reviews. Also you might consider updated to latest beta firmware cause several major issues have been addressed over at minixforum.com

But nonetheless good review.

Comment

Originally posted by tampametal View Post
      Yeah definitely a little late in reviews. Also you might consider updated to latest beta firmware cause several major issues have been addressed over at minixforum.com

But nonetheless good review.
      yes, you right. i received the device a little bit later, and i get bad luck because the device come defective and lost so much time on get it to work, and this delayed so much my article.

about beta firmware, yes, i tested beta8 first, and then beta2. beta8 don´t let me to finish correctly 3dmark benchmark. the program end before finish (abnormal end of the program) or the device freezes and i must disconnect and connect to restart.

beta2 run better for me. i feel more stability in the system. i have some issues yet, i cannot do a Quadrant benchmark, and Antutu cannot finish too, but other benchmarks are working well (including 3dmark)

but well, Belchine trust on me for bringint this review, and i always will respond doing my best. ^_^

greetings!

Comment

Good review ...

Comment

DeenOX,

Could you tell me which version of ppsspp you installed and also which settings you used please. I tried everything to get it to work on my X8-h. Do you also have a list compatible games?

Thanks

Ps I have the G910 gamepad flashed with the latest wamo pro firmware (they are the same controller just a better firmware). I connect it to my X8-h in x mode and I use it that way without the gamepad assistant software. I use MC helper to make it compatable with games like modern combat 5.

Controllers like the g910 and the tronsmart G01 seem to use the same gamepad assistant made by bitgames but neither manufacturer has updated to the latest version (2.5.00). I have not used it since discovering MC Helper but it can be downloaded here if you want it:

This version no longer requires the device management service driver software as far as I am aware.

Perhaps it is worth trying out?

Comment

usually, i use the last version on playstore, and when capturing videos, in some moment pause the emulator and show all my current config.

which video are you watching?

about tronsmart, i will test with the apk you pointed. thanks for the info.

Comment

I got confused when you mentioned videos, then I typed your name in YouTube and found your channel
              The vid that caught my eye was FFVII Crisis core. I play the intro video and then I get a black screen when it enters combat mode. The one I really want to play is god of war - chains of Olympus but it crashes after the intro too.

I noticed that you have tried MC 5 and it didn't work. Did you have any other peripherals plugged in besides your controller when you tried to play it? I found that it was recognizing my M1 air mouse as the primary controller and so it would ignore my g910. As soon as I unplugged M1 dongle and restarted the game everything worked normally.

I see you have tested Mupen too, Which version did you use? I use Mupen64Plus AE. Off of the top of my head I set the video plugin to the Rice version and set flicker reduction to the T setting and all the artifacting and flickering stopped. I also adjusted the sound buffer setting but i don't know if that helped or not. If you can't get it working with these settings I can check exactly what I did for you if you want.
              The only other emulators I have got to work flawlessly are the .emu emulators by Robert Broglia. Is it SNES 9x EX that you are using for your reviews?

Originally posted by Deen0X View Post
              about tronsmart, i will test with the apk you pointed. thanks for the info.
              Hey, your comparison of the archos gampad vs the JXD S7300b helped me to make a decision. I got the S7300b and had an absolute blast with it. If anyone is owed thanks it is you!

Comment

Working...
              X