Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[Product Review] Tronsmart Vega S89 HDMI and Optical Passthrough Test

HI Guys:

We get the first bulk of Tronsmart vega s89 in stock,and finish this passthrough review. Here is my test device:

1 Tronsmart vega s89 quad core tv box;

2 Yamaha RX-375 5.1 Receiver

3 Yamaha NS-P40 Speaker

I test different 1080p mkv, ts format local video file, and use built-in XBMC to play them!

First test the HDMI Passthrough, here is how i connect the tronsmart with receiver and TV.

I use one male to male HDMI Cable to connect tronsmart vega s89 and the yamaha receiver( use the hdmi in port in receiver) and then use another male to male hdmi cable connect the receiver with TV ( use receiver’s hdmi out port).

And on the tronsmart vega s89 setting, i change the audio output to hdmi passthrough, and enable passthrough on xbmc.

Here is the test result:

1 Dolby (AC3) 5.1 HDMI passthrough ——–OK
    2 DTS 5.1 HDMI passthrough——-OK
    3 DTS-HD HRA 5.1HDMI passthrough—–OK
    4 DTS-HD MA 5.1 HDMI passthrough—OK
    5 Dolby True-HD 5.1 HDMI Passthrough—can’t work, reciver just show 2.1, not 5.1;

Second, let’s test the optical passthrough,here is how i connect:

use male to male hdmi cable to connect tronsmart vega s89 and the TV. and then use the optical cable to connect vega s89 with receiver.

and on the tronsmart vega s89 setting, i change the audio output to optical passthrough, and enable passthrough on xbmc.

here is the test result:

1 Dolby (AC3) 5.1 HDMI passthrough ——–OK, but with noise.
    2 DTS 5.1 HDMI passthrough——–OK, but with noise.
    3 DTS-HD HRA 5.1HDMI passthrough——OK, but with noise.
    4 DTS-HD MA 5.1 HDMI passthrough—-OK, but with noise.
    5 Dolby True-HD 5.1 HDMI Passthrough—same as hdmi passthrough problem, can’t passthrough 5.1.

So, seems the HDMI passthrough is working ok, but there is something problem with optical passthrough. I have reported this problem to factory, and check if they can fix it.

Eric
    Geekbuying

Source from: http://blog.geekbuying.com/
    Looking for developers
    http://freaktab.com/forum/advertiser...91j-smartphone

Eric thanks for this!!

Big Q. Can you describe the noise or possibly post a youtube vid?

Also does pass through only work with XBMC? Can MX player handle it?

And I know you have to use proxy or VPN but did you get a chance to test Netflix?

Comment

If its only a software issue then its OK, problem is if its a hardware problem.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by reddragon72 View Post
        Eric thanks for this!!

Big Q. Can you describe the noise or possibly post a youtube vid?

Also does pass through only work with XBMC? Can MX player handle it?

And I know you have to use proxy or VPN but did you get a chance to test Netflix?
        HI

I will take a video to show the noise, but i already submitted the problem to factory, check if they can fixt it.

stange if i remove the hdmi cable, the noise gone, when connect hdmi cable and optical cable, it has noise.

now only XBMC can do the pass through, MX PLAYER can't, or i don't know how to test via MX PLAYER. if you know, please tell me.

about Netflix, already tested, no Netflix HD, but can play video without problem. i have learned a lot about netflix hd, seems it depends on the internet you use.

Eric
        Looking for developers

Comment

Is there 5.1 sound option in Netflix? If yes, is it working?

Comment

Originally posted by geekbuying View Post
            HI

I will take a video to show the noise, but i already submitted the problem to factory, check if they can fixt it.

stange if i remove the hdmi cable, the noise gone, when connect hdmi cable and optical cable, it has noise.

now only XBMC can do the pass through, MX PLAYER can't, or i don't know how to test via MX PLAYER. if you know, please tell me.

about Netflix, already tested, no Netflix HD, but can play video without problem. i have learned a lot about netflix hd, seems it depends on the internet you use.

Eric
            Thanks for that Eric!

I have heard of this issue before with optical and HDMI and it is the sampling with the chip that causes the issue. It is fixable VIA software. Can't wait for them to fix it because I would love to not have the TV on and just play Pandora through the radio.

For Netflix yes HD is only delivered if you have enough bandwidth. Proxy and VPN can really kill your bandwidth due to encryption and overhead. I am hoping that someone in the states can test it.

And for the other guy HD gives you 5.1. I have Netfix HD now and only get the 5.1 surround once HD kicks in. I thought it wasn't supposed to be that way but that is what I see on my Nexus 5.

Comment

I can get 5.1 Netflix sound from an app on my Samsung tv but not through my laptop computer. I want to get US content with 5.1 sound but my tv only gets Nordic content. On computer I get US content but then no 5.1 sound although it is streaming in FullHD.

On my TV there is an option to choose 5.1 sound in Netflix but on my laptop that option is not anywhere.

Was thinking I could get around the geo block with Android box and also get 5.1 sound.
              Last edited by ssspacman; 04-08-2014, 18:42.

Comment

Update!

Just find in the optical pass through test, the noise is coming from the TV.

If i make the TV mute, and the sound will be ok, no any noise anymore.

strange problem.

Eric
                Looking for developers

Comment

Update!

Just find in the optical pass through test, the noise is coming from the TV.

If i make the TV mute, and the sound will be ok, no any noise anymore.

strange problem.

Eric
                  Eric,

Turn the TV to a different input when you hear the noise then back to the original input. If the noise goes away then it is a handshake issue with the TV. No biggy and is the issue I remember readin on the AV forums a few years ago. Either the TV or the device is messing up the handshake.

What happens during a handshake between device and TV is info. The device sends what is wants to do and the TV sends what it can do and the device reacts with ok or changes it's parameters. During the handshake the TV is set for audio and video. In this can pass through audio. When the TV no longer receives the audio it defaults to no info and goes quiet. In this case the media device is sending a junk signal because the chip cannot handle the switch from HDMI to SPDIF correctly. Resetting the TV might fix it as the TV will not longer be told to listen for audio.

I did see in the other thread that some other TV's do not have the issue and that is because they are re-initiating the handshake meaning the TV will go blank and come back and then know that there is no audio. This is called a complete handshake and not a partial.

I can live with this I just want more speed and full surround sound.

looks like I may be ordering one in the next few days. Hope you don't run out of stock!

Comment

''1 Dolby (AC3) 5.1 HDMI passthrough ——–OK
                    5 Dolby True-HD 5.1 HDMI Passthrough—can’t work, reciver just show 2.1, not 5.1''

I'm confused, does this mean S802 (and not S802D or S802-H) supports Dolby AND DTS? I thought only S802-H supported both

Comment

Originally posted by sush40 View Post
                      ''1 Dolby (AC3) 5.1 HDMI passthrough ——–OK
                      5 Dolby True-HD 5.1 HDMI Passthrough—can’t work, reciver just show 2.1, not 5.1''

I'm confused, does this mean S802 (and not S802D or S802-H) supports Dolby AND DTS? I thought only S802-H supported both

Remember this is also program dependent. In other words they can only get pass through and SPDIF working in XBMC. So if XBMC cannot handle/decode Dolby True HD then it'll be down mixed or use another track if available.

Comment

Eric,

Turn the TV to a different input when you hear the noise then back to the original input. If the noise goes away then it is a handshake issue with the TV. No biggy and is the issue I remember readin on the AV forums a few years ago. Either the TV or the device is messing up the handshake.

What happens during a handshake between device and TV is info. The device sends what is wants to do and the TV sends what it can do and the device reacts with ok or changes it's parameters. During the handshake the TV is set for audio and video. In this can pass through audio. When the TV no longer receives the audio it defaults to no info and goes quiet. In this case the media device is sending a junk signal because the chip cannot handle the switch from HDMI to SPDIF correctly. Resetting the TV might fix it as the TV will not longer be told to listen for audio.

I did see in the other thread that some other TV's do not have the issue and that is because they are re-initiating the handshake meaning the TV will go blank and come back and then know that there is no audio. This is called a complete handshake and not a partial.

looks like I may be ordering one in the next few days. Hope you don't run out of stock!
                        Have enough stock, don't worry, I have get all of the stock from factory. lol

and i will try as your suggestion and report back.
                        Looking for developers

Comment

Eric,

Just try as your suggestion, no work, just mute the TV, everything is ok
                          Looking for developers

Comment

Can see the movies in cut the disk, like the makings SMB it will get worse
                            MY MINI PC: C4,CS918,M8,M8C

Comment

Just try as your suggestion, no work, just mute the TV, everything is ok

no biggy except with my TV the Mute icon stays on the screen so I'll just have to lower the volume.

My reason for SPDIF is so I can stream music as I wish from my phone to the unit and play through the stereo without the TV on. Otherwise HDMI would be fine.

Comment

Working...
                              X