No announcement yet.

Ubuntu 14.04 and 15.04 on MK808b Plus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guys, how would you go about installing this on the NAND? I'm thinking it might fix the Wi-Fi disconnect issue and occasional system freezes.

Comment

Just tried this on a second 808-b Plus that's been sitting in a drawer and, it works perfectly. Thanks, all!

Have to say I'm shocked at having a *buntu flavor running this zippy on such a device. Wow.

This is now clearly the best option, but the only one that doesn't have a sticky!

Checking, that appears to be due to the Q-and-A nature of the thread. Many FT visitors may not even find out about this! So to fix, wouldn't someone like sammaz, or other contributor here, post this as a How-To? Suggested title:
      [ROM] [Ubuntu MATE] 15.04 (+updates) Best option for MK808-b Plus

As a help to those already running Linux, here's an enhanced how-to:

(Note: Google Drive downloads much faster so it's set as the default. The LinuxMiniPC file is (of course) identical.)

Code:
      # For Those Running Linux

# Set archive name
      aname=ubuntu-mate-15-04-s805-standard-0_95_Beta.img.xz

# Set download source
      dlsrc=https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxdG04mQGssLZkozdll0SDR2Q00/view?usp=sharing

# Set known md5 hash (for checking)
      md5h=0b1c679e0f1ca396945d0f7f878776cb

# Change to downloads directory as desired
      cd ~/Downloads

# Be sure at least 8 GB space is available on disk (for extraction)

# First determine and set which drive is the SD card.
      #  WARNING: The following assumes SD card is sdc. Check, BE SURE and use what it actually is on your system!
      # Insert SD card and let it auto-mount, verify which it is (use file browser if needed) and BE SURE.
      dmesg | tail -n20
      mount
      df -h
      target=/dev/sdc
      # Do not proceed unless sure 'target' is correct.

# Download xz archive of disk image
      wget -O $aname $dlsrc

# Check download
      md5=$(md5sum $aname)
      [[ "$(echo $md5 | grep -o "^\w*\b")" == $md5h ]] || {
        echo 'Bad download. Try again...'; exit 1
      }

# Extract image to downloads folder
      unxz $aname

# Prepare SD card by wiping
      sudo umount $target
      sudo dd if=/dev/zero of=$target bs=4M

# Write image to SD card
      [[ -f ${aname::-3} ]] && sudo dd if=${aname::-3} of=$target bs=4M
      sync

# Check flash, if desired, by click-mounting the SD card in file browser. Then, power down card/reader, remove and continue at wiki to boot into recovery, flash the zip file, restart, and edit system file to enable higher screen resolution.

# Note: Connect a USB keyboard to continue using the device. Bluetooth keyboards can not be paired initially.
      Any errors, pls let me know.

Comment

You can do it even without gigabites of additional space. Just use xzcat to directly stream uncompressed image to dd.

Comment

Has anybody tried odroid kernel builds or images? Linuxminipc does not even respond to emails about disclosing used source codes.

Comment

Hi there, I know this thread is a bit old but I hope someone can help me out. I want to flash my MK808B plus with Linux but I can't get my stick to boot from SD card. I tried the pin method (reset hole) so many times but it always boots normally. Just to prove that I could actually flash on this machine I flash it with finless rom v1.1. I can't get my PC recognize it either (with Armlogic burn tool). I finally managed to flash it by installing "Reboot Recovery" app from Play Store and managed to get the stick booted from recovery. I successfully flashed finless rom but that's not what I need. I need to flash it with Ubuntu.

Anyone got any idea how to make this booting from SDCard or if anything else I can try? Thank you guys.

Comment

Try a different SD card it is a little picky
              Prahjister ****MK808(nonB)****MK808B V5****MK808B Plus****UBOX R89**** CX919****MK808B Pro****Nexbox N9****Eny Em95****Matricon Q2****Tanix TX5 Pro****

Comment

Originally posted by astateofmind View Post
                Hi! Can you please reupload this file?
                Can someone give me the link to this file?
                Please help! I really need it.

Comment

Originally posted by kira1992 View Post
                  Hi! Can you please reupload this file?
                  Can someone give me the link to this file?
                  Please help! I really need it.
                  I am also looking for the file.

Comment

Originally posted by prahjister View Post
                    Try a different SD card it is a little picky
                    I tried with a different SD card but still I can't make it booting from SD Card. Is there any setting that I can change from Android shell (adb) that will make the machine boot from SD card? Thanks.

Comment

you have to press the little button in the hole opposite the light with a paperclip while plugging in the power.
                      Prahjister ****MK808(nonB)****MK808B V5****MK808B Plus****UBOX R89**** CX919****MK808B Pro****Nexbox N9****Eny Em95****Matricon Q2****Tanix TX5 Pro****

Comment

Originally posted by prahjister View Post
                        you have to press the little button in the hole opposite the light with a paperclip while plugging in the power.
                        I did exactly that but still it won't boot from SD Card. Is there anyway to change where to boot from ADB?

Comment

U can from Android with terminal emulator. Type su then reboot recovery

Comment

Put please once the module is suitable for rtl8188. In the link above, the file is not available

Comment

Originally posted by DanielSB View Post
                              In case you want to put this on a 4GB MicroSD (e.g. if like me you want to get rid of the Mate GUI stuff and use Ubuntu as a headless server), here's how:
                              1. Get the image file; I got _ubuntu-mate-15-04-s805-standard-0_95_Beta.img.xz
                              2. Extract it:
                                xz -dk _ubuntu-mate-15-04-s805-standard-0_95_Beta.img.xz
                              3. Have a look at the partition layout:
                                fdisk -lu _ubuntu-mate-15-04-s805-standard-0_95_Beta.img
                                [press w, enter]
                                sudo e2fsck -f /dev/sda2
                                sudo resize2fs -p /dev/sda2
                                sudo sync
                                sudo eject /dev/sda
                              4. Enjoy.
                              Thanks for this write-up. I tried it and it works. Just to confirm, this is not actually supposed to get rid of the GUI and make the installation headless, right?

Comment

Running Ubuntu on such a small device is great. But it's a pity if such a linux doesn't run stable. And neither this ubuntu mate nor the debian8 are stable.

Here (screenshot) I copied more than 3500 files and more than 35 GB from a USB stick to a HDD. But after 40% done the system froze. The same happened also with Debian8. Maybe instead of a device, which isn't much supported for linux, better I should choose a Raspberry P3. Such a device is very well supported and the OS systems like Raspian should run stable.
                                You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Working...
                                X