No announcement yet.

Ubuntu 14.04 and 15.04 on MK808b Plus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

8. Use the pin method when starting ...Get to the "Update from EXT" screen.
    Can someone please tell me what is pin method?

Comment

Originally posted by prahjister View Post
      Try different power supply

Thanks!!, I did it , no lockups anymore, now i have only problems with wifi, it lost signal (router is 1.5 m away from it) and doesn't work unti I disable it and enable again,I'll try today with some wifi usb adapter. Next I'll try to install linux on external ssd ..

Comment

Sorry for repeat same question. I have My box running OpenELEC from SD ; if I'll flash included zip file, Will I lose ability ro run OpenELEC from SD?

Comment

Hello,
          I'd like to ask if it's possible to dual boot Android from NAND and Ubuntu from SD card on MK808+, with minimal alteration to the preinstalled Android OS.

I'm a newbie to Android devices, but after reading the topics about MK808+ I've derived the following:

A complete Flash memory image can be overwritten with the USB burning tool. But how can I obtain the preinstalled(or at least modded and working) Android setup, that I can restore with the USB burning tool if things go wrong? Is the hardware common enough for the 'stock' images like http://freaktab.com/forum/tv-player-support/amlogic-based-tv-players/other-aml-s802-s805-devices/21960-rom-download-109k4-stock-firmware-for-mk808b-plus-quad-core-tv-stick-add-usb-lan-support to work perfectly?

I will have to replace a recovery.img file. Is this the binary that executes when I keep the 'reset' button pressed on power up? If it's bad, will the burning tool option stop working? Or does recovery.img execute after button is pressed on power and device is not connected to PC?

I guess that to enable booting from SD the 'bootloader' must be altered? Can the original one be restored like Android restores recovery.img automatically? I guess the burning tool is needed to restore the bootloader?

tl;dr: Can I backup and restore my preinstalled Android setup? If I follow steps 2-15 of the solution by sammaz http://freaktab.com/forum/tv-player-...074#post526074, will it dual boot without my installing OpenELEC at all? What modifications to Android do I need to dual boot, without OpenELEC if possible?

Comment

Originally posted by elko View Post
            Hello,
            I'd like to ask if it's possible to dual boot Android from NAND and Ubuntu from SD card on MK808+, with minimal alteration to the preinstalled Android OS.

I'm a newbie to Android devices, but after reading the topics about MK808+ I've derived the following:

A complete Flash memory image can be overwritten with the USB burning tool. But how can I obtain the preinstalled(or at least modded and working) Android setup, that I can restore with the USB burning tool if things go wrong? Is the hardware common enough for the 'stock' images like http://freaktab.com/forum/tv-player-support/amlogic-based-tv-players/other-aml-s802-s805-devices/21960-rom-download-109k4-stock-firmware-for-mk808b-plus-quad-core-tv-stick-add-usb-lan-support to work perfectly?

I will have to replace a recovery.img file. Is this the binary that executes when I keep the 'reset' button pressed on power up? If it's bad, will the burning tool option stop working? Or does recovery.img execute after button is pressed on power and device is not connected to PC?

I guess that to enable booting from SD the 'bootloader' must be altered? Can the original one be restored like Android restores recovery.img automatically? I guess the burning tool is needed to restore the bootloader?

tl;dr: Can I backup and restore my preinstalled Android setup? If I follow steps 2-15 of the solution by sammaz http://freaktab.com/forum/tv-player-...074#post526074, will it dual boot without my installing OpenELEC at all? What modifications to Android do I need to dual boot, without OpenELEC if possible?
            Hi Welcome to freaktab,

If you follow the steps in the guide on post 14,Do everything apart from step 1 you will have android on the nand & Ubuntu on the sd card

Step 12 will flash a new bootloader so when the sd card in inserted it will boot Ubuntu & with no sd card inserted it will boot android.

Guide from post 14.

1. First Install Kszaq's latest Openelec 5.95.5.2 to NAND.
            2. Then, Disable pop-up blocking in your browser.
            3. Navigate to https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bxd...ew?usp=sharing and download the .zip
            4. Extract the .zip
            5. Now you will have "ubuntu-mate-15-04-s805-standard-0_95_Beta.img"
            6. Flash this .img to your SD-Card using this tool http://sourceforge.net/projects/win32diskimager/ (Thanks Regor!)

6. (Alternative for Flashing the image) You can also flash the image using a pre-existing Linux machine.
            http://wiki.openelec.tv/index.php/HO...The_Disk_Image

7. When completed, place the SD-Card in your MK808-b plus.
            8. Use the pin method when starting ...Get to the "Update from EXT" screen.
            9. Choose Update from External
            10. Choose the SD-Card
            11. Choose the .zip file shown in the SD-Card root
            12. Press enter then wait 15 seconds while the new bootloader is flashed.
            13. Now power cycle your MK808b-plus
            14. You will get the login menu right away...boots in under 20 seconds.
            15. User\Password is "minipc"
            Please consider making a Donation to freakTab

Comment

I have a MK808b plus with ap6212 and the wifi does not work.
              Do you know if is goig to add suport for that chipset ?

Here work for android

Comment

@blinkone: Thank you very much for the quick reply! I can't try the steps right now, but I will by the weekend.
                Just a couple more questions:
                Is the bootloader a common piece of software I can extract from any stock S805 ROM out there?
                Is there a way to extract the firmware (Android ROM etc.) like I can overwrite it with the USB burning tool?

Comment

I appear to have bricked my MK808B + running ubuntu. I had gone in Kodi ,play around a little, added the youtube and weather addons the selected the power button within Kodi and then selected "exit". The system became unresponsive so I then attempted to power cycle the MK. It has not been able to boot since!
                  I attempted this unbrick procedure #26 without success.

Any ideas on where to go from here? Thanks

Comment

Power supply
                    Prahjister ****MK808(nonB)****MK808B V5****MK808B Plus****UBOX R89**** CX919****MK808B Pro****Nexbox N9****Eny Em95****Matricon Q2****Tanix TX5 Pro****

Comment

Originally posted by prahjister View Post
                      Power supply
                      I routinely use two different power supplies with the MK and unfortunately it doesn't boot on either now.

Comment

Solution for MK808B +with ap6212 and no wifi :

I sticked AVM FRITZ! WLAN in USB-Port and
                        got linux-firmware_1.127.15_all.deb on USB-Stick and installed it in terminal with sudo dpkg -i --force-overwrite linux-......
                        This worked for me.

Comment

Ubuntu works for me including WiFi (but disconnecting occasionally) but Wi-Fi works very well (stable) in openelec

PSU is 5v/1a (very ordinary psu).

Even powers on via USB port of TV

Able to connect mouse and keyboard also. Ubuntu Looks stable. except for Wi-Fi

Comment

Originally posted by mailkit View Post
                            Ubuntu works for me including WiFi (but disconnecting occasionally) but Wi-Fi works very well (stable) in openelec

PSU is 5v/1a (very ordinary psu).

Even powers on via USB port of TV

Able to connect mouse and keyboard also. Ubuntu Looks stable. except for Wi-Fi
                            I experience the same drop outs and I have excellent Wifi in Openelec. I think that linux is powering down the wifi incorrectly. I am going to try some of the other linux firmware drivers here :

Comment

Originally posted by sammaz View Post
                              I experience the same drop outs and I have excellent Wifi in Openelec. I think that linux is powering down the wifi incorrectly. I am going to try some of the other linux firmware drivers here :

http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/poo...inux-firmware/
                              Sammaz,

do you know if openelec supports UVC webcams?

Comment

The following works in ubuntu mate but returns nothin in openelec

lsmod | grep uvc

Comment

Working...
                                X