• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Linux for Amlogic S805

Working image with Linux (Armbian) for S805

Посмотреть и скачать с Яндекс Диска

Details of usage can be seen here.

http://forum.armbian.com/index.php/t...mxq-linux-box/

See the description of how you can use Arabian. The principle of use is the same for all chips S8xxx and S9xxx.

Last edited by balbes150; 02-25-2018, 08:02.

Hi balbes150, thanks for your work.

I wonder if you could explain better a few things. I'm a complete noob
    1. Will this run on any s805 ?
    2. Can i run it on a external storage device ? how ?

I don't like to look at other forums when the post is here.
    if [ $up.post.type = $type.two.lazy.to_use_google ] || [ $up.post.type = $type.silly_question ];
    then mv $user.contact.up.post /.trash; set response($response.type = ignore);
    $user.up.post.ignore_in_future = true; fi;

Comment

Hi. abdul_pt

1. Yes, this can work on any S805. If you use the right dtb file. To create the correct dtb file for this image Linix enough to send me either a link to the firmware from the device, or provide me with a working dtb file\dts\dtd (this is the preferred option, what would I not spend time downloading the whole firmware and unpacking it).

2. This variant is intended for use with external media (SD cards and USB flash drives).

3. The order of use.

1. to activate your universal multiboot (there are a few options - method of floss, using the standard application Update&Backup). Details and usage can be viewed at these links. The principle is the same. The only difference in file names and internal features of the platforms (S905 and S8xx).

https://github.com/150balbes/Amlogic...905_multi_boot

http://freaktab.com/forum/tv-player-...thod-and-files

http://freaktab.com/forum/tv-player-...smart-vega-s95

2. to write the image to external media
      3. copy it to the root of the first partition (FAT) the correct dtb file
      4. to connect this device to switch off the TV box, to connect keyboard (for initial setup) and turn on the TV console.

If multiboot is properly activated, the system automatically load and then you need to configure it initially. Log in as the "root" user with the password "1234" and follow the prompts on the screen. After initial setup, the keyboard can be disconnected from the TV box and control it via ssh. In the near future I plan to put another way, with desktop. Which is a complete graphic system on a PC. A lot of useful information on the specifics of the activation of multi-boot and use the system, you can see here .

PS Links to other resources I give because much information is repeated and is quite tedious to repeat it. If you have questions, I will try to answer.

Comment

Upload a revised version. Fixed extension section in the firstrun script.

Comment

Added to Debian with MATE desktop (based on the image Odroid). To write the image to the desired media from the 8Gb. The second section is not extended automatically, if the media is larger than 8 GB to expand the section in the manual. The username and password of "odroid".

debian_mate_s805_20160919.img

Comment

Hi balbes150 !

Thanks for your nice working. Is this img "work like a charm" on MxQ OTT.

Rgrds

Comment

Update images. Version 5.20 . Added images from Ubuntu. Added the directory with the image of the ddBR. It is assembled on the basis of the console version Armbian. The structure includes a minimal WebMin. To install webmin on any image in addition. Is a convenient graphical tool.

Please unsubscribe those who will test. It is important to clarify which models have been able to start these images.
              Last edited by balbes150; 09-23-2016, 15:23.

Comment

Hello, thank you very much for sharing.
                I have a MXV S805 Box (1G+8G), it's currently running Libreelec, but I want to try Ubuntu to have a desktop enviroment. I have already downloaded Armbian_5.20_Vegas805_Ubuntu_xenial_3.10.102_deskt op_20160923.img.xz. I see you talked about needing some dtb files, I searched and couldn't find them, but I have a link to the running Openelec image. Would that be enough to get the dtb file and install your image in my box?

Libreelec image that I'm running (dtb file should be somewhere; I don't know how to unpack img)

I don't know if I have uboot, but I just want to install it on NAND, don't know if there's any problem.
                I appreciate your answers, and have a nice day.

Comment

After burning the image to external media on an external drive in the first partition (FAT) will be the dtb directory. This directory contains the dtb files. Can try to use the dtb file from the firmware or OE\LE. If the system will not start, you need to try to use all of the available dtb files (from the firmware catalog dtb). These images Linux is designed to run from removable media (when activated universal multiboot). Installation in the internal memory is only possible in manual mode and if the console UART.

Comment

balbes150, thanks for all the hard work. Only one thing is unclear: In post #3, you write "The principle is the same. The only difference in file names and internal features of the platforms (S905 and S8xx)."

But the uboot and autoscript files are specifically for the S905. Or are they also usable directly on the S805? After checking different posts, it seems the only files available have '905' in the names, or are located in folders pertaining to '905'.

Just want to be sure before flashing. Thanks!

Comment

To activate the multi-boot on the S805 need to use these files.

Scripts for the S805 start with the same characters. To activate the multi-boot in the script body must be specified s805.

Comment

Originally posted by balbes150 View Post
                        To activate the multi-boot on the S805 need to use these files.

Scripts for the S805 start with the same characters. To activate the multi-boot in the script body must be specified s805.
                        Thx again. After trying to install with a couple different base ROMs (SuperCeleron and Finless) -- don't know if the base ROM makes any difference -- and both the Ubuntu and Debian images, I tried each of the dtb files, and even the two I split from the boot image, but no luck. Best I could see was the kernel panic screen with a few of the combinations.

Both of my sticks are MK808B-Plus, Meson 8B, rev a.

When starting a clean install (flash base ROM, then multi-boot zip, then insert SD card (8 GB) w/ Linux image), I used the update app on the multi-boot file you linked, which was *apparently* successful -- feedback is limited. But on my last attempt, I wanted to see some actual feedback so used TWRP, which showed "Failed," even with multiple attempts. However, there had to be some success earlier because the system was clearly looking to the SD card to boot.

Anyways, hope at least some of this is helpful. I'll continue to monitor this thread for progress. For some time I ran the multi-boot Mate on this stick and performance was ok (but development on that has stopped and there are problems with it) so would really like to see this project succeed.

Comment

You can send me the dtb files from the firmware of Your devices ? Either give a link to firmware that works on Your device ? The ideal option is to extract the firmware and send me dts\dtd file from working firmware.

Comment

balbes150, see attached zip.

There are three files:
                            meson8b_rev-a_m201_1G.dts - the device tree source text file from my unit
                            rev-a_diff_m201_1G_vega.txt - a side-by-side diff of my device's source vs the existing vega dts
                            rev-a_diff_m201_1G.txt - same format diff of my device's source vs the existing 'plain' dts

As you'll see from the diffs, the rev-a source varies considerably from both existing files for the m201_1G.

But as I noted earlier, none of the three dtb files will boot, just show a blank screen (except for the occasional kernel panic). So hoping you can figure out where the disconnect is and get this running.

For any who would like to help with this project
                            The development links lead to pages which may seem intimidating, but the actual procedure is quite easy.

1. On PC, open a terminal and cd to a preferred folder, Ex.
                            Code:
                            cd /Downloads/stick

2. Install the device tree compiler (it's a standard program in the repos), Ex.
                            Code:
                            sudo apt install device-tree-compiler

3. Download the split-bootimage tool from the author's site
                            Code:
                            curl http://www.enck.org/tools/split_bootimg_pl.txt > split_bootimg_pl

4. Grab a boot image from the device
                            Start up the stick and open a terminal (if no terminal available, install Terminal Emulater for Android). Enter two commands:
                            Code:
                            su
                            dd if=/dev/block/boot of=/sdcard/boot.img

5. Copy the boot.img file just created to the folder on the PC (directly via LAN, by copying to external storage and transporting manually, or however).

6. Split the boot image
                            Code:
                            perl split_bootimg.pl boot.img

7. Extract the device tree source from the dtb image, which is the just-created file boot.img-second.gz
                            Code:
                            dtc -I dtb boot.img-second.gz -O dts -o my_stick.dts
                            Note: The filename with "second" in the name may differ slightly. If it does, just substitute its name in the command.

That's it. my_stick.dts is a text file containing the dtb source. Optionally open the file with a text editor, copy the device's real name from the quoted string at top and rename the file using that string.

Try it.
                            Attached Files

Comment

You have tried to use the dtb files in the dir DTB, which is in the medium after recording the image ?

Comment

Working...
                              X