Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MXQ Project Retro Gaming System with EmulationStation for LibreELEC 8 on S805/905X

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MXQ Project Retro Gaming System with EmulationStation for LibreELEC 8 on S805/905X

MXQ Project Retro Gaming Experience - LibreELEC 8 Build!!

Hi guys, as some are perhaps aware a while back I put out a gaming build for LibreELEC 7 running on S805/905 devices, for the past few months I've been working on an updated version of the build for LibreELEC 8, I've hit many roadblocks in getting it all to work, mainly EmulationStation was having issues with some lib files but after some sleepless nights I've managed to get it working again.

Features:
    • LibreELEC 8.0.1b running Kodi 17.1
    • Retroarch 1.5.0 (Based on JoKeRz addon)
    • Updated cores
    • EmulationStation can be launched direct through Kodi (Thanks to niabi for his assistance with getting it working again)
    • I.A.R.L - The Internet Archive ROM Launcher, I've pre-configured everything to download to the correct folders etc,)
    • Installed easily via a modified LibreELEC backup, no SSH/SFTP/SAMBA required

Pre-requisites:
    • An S805 device - S905/X are also reported to be working as well now.
    • You MUST be running LibreELEC 8 from Kszaq, tested on latest version but earlier releases may work.
    • This will work on either a dual boot setup OR LibreELEC running from NAND memory.

Installation Instructions:

1) Download the LibreELEC-MXQ-Gaming.zip from here: http://mxqproject.com/…/lib…/LibreELEC8-MXQ-Gaming-Alpha.zip

2) Extract the zip file somewhere on your PC, you should now have a .tar file.

3) Copy the .tar file to a USB stick/External HDD or alternatively copy the .tar file via Samba to the Backup folder on your box

4) Insert your USB drive into the box and power on

5) Go to Settings > LibreELEC

6) On the System tab go down to 'Restore Backup'

7) If you copied the tar file via samba it will appear straight away, if not then click the two dots at the top of the screen to go up a folder, do this once more and you should see your USB device, click it.

8) Locate your tar file and hit enter/ok

9) LibreELEC will now extract the backup file then will prompt you that it needs to reboot, click ok.

10) Upon rebooting LibreELEC will check the contents of the backup then finally copy them over, this can take 5-10 minutes so be patient.

When the box reboots again the backup is complete and the MXQ Project Retro Gaming Experience - Krypton Build is now ready to use.

Notes:
    • IARL will download your ROMs to the /storage/roms/* folders, however, EmulationStation at present isn't configured to work with every console/system yet (I'm working on it) so if you download a selection of games from IARL most will show up in EmulationStation but some consoles won't, this is more the obscurer/less known ones, most of the more popular systems will work fine.
    • I've stupidly made the backup with the volume on Kodi turned off so if you get no sound just turn up the volume
    • Some console listings in IARL have been hidden as I haven't fully configured the cores to get them running.
    • I've set IARL to list games in Alphabetical groups to decrease load times so if you plan on using the 'Internet Archive Best Of...' sections in IARL click the # symbol as the games in those categories are numbered so click the letter of the game you want won't load anything

Special Thanks:

Thank you to JoKeRz, niabi and of course Kszaq and Zach Morris (Wouldn't let me tag)

If there are any issues then please comment on this post and I'll look into it, this is a first release so I'll have more to add and update as time goes on.

Enjoy

Good job

Comment

Wow! Excellent work everyone!

I will be updating to Libreelec v8.0 tonight to try it out. Cant wait!

Comment

Originally posted by niabi View Post
        Good job
        Originally posted by sammaz View Post
        Wow! Excellent work everyone!

I will be updating to Libreelec v8.0 tonight to try it out. Cant wait!
        Thanks guys, let me know if there are any issues etc.

Comment

exactly what I was looking for....works perfectly (s805)....Thank You!

Comment

Originally posted by Rewindo View Post
            exactly what I was looking for....works perfectly (s805)....Thank You!
            You're welcome, glad it's running ok!

Comment

Working...
            X